none
Creating an Outlook Backup Application

Question

• Hello all,

I want to create my own outlook addin that will create backup copies of some/all of my outlook PST folders... What is the best way of achieving this?

Thanks in advance for all replies.

NOTE: Please don't suggest using any of the backup tools that are available - I want to build this into an Outlook addin that I'm creating...

Friday, August 02, 2013 11:01 PM

Answers

• There are multiple ways of doing that. You can leave a text file (or other format such as XML) in a known place in the file system, you can set values in the registry, you can put together a string of what to backup and where and supply that as a command line call to your second application if that can take a command line. Those are off the top of my head, there could be many other ways of doing that.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Monday, August 05, 2013 1:17 PM

All replies

• From the research I have done it appears that copying the files while in use isn't really possible...having an app that executes after outlook has closed therefore seems necessary and based on this I have the following 'plan'...

• App1 = An outlook addin that allows me to specify the backup settings (which folders, how often, where to save the backups etc)
    • App2 = Another app that can copy the PST folders after Outlook has closed
    • When Outlook closes, App1 will call App2 and 'tell' it what folders to copy and where to save them

My problem is I don't know how to get the two Apps to 'communicate' with each other...

Note: I DON'T need help with the functionality of either of the apps, I just need help on how to get them to work together.

Thanks again

Friday, August 02, 2013 11:02 PM
  • Anyone...???
    Monday, August 05, 2013 7:45 AM
  • There are multiple ways of doing that. You can leave a text file (or other format such as XML) in a known place in the file system, you can set values in the registry, you can put together a string of what to backup and where and supply that as a command line call to your second application if that can take a command line. Those are off the top of my head, there could be many other ways of doing that.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Monday, August 05, 2013 1:17 PM
  • Then you may want to start by expanding on the following solution found in codeplex

Outlook 2013 Backup Add-In
    http://outlookbackupaddin.codeplex.com/

Karl Timmermans [Outlook MVP] "Outlook Contact Import/Export/Data Mgmt" http://www.contactgenie.com

Tuesday, August 06, 2013 9:24 AM