none
How can I print a select (50) number of rows in Excel?

Question

• I tried to see if I could find an easy answer to this, and I can think of a couple of duct tape options that I have to accomplish this. One of them involves SSIS and SQL Server, which is really more my area of expertise.

Ideally I would like to take a file that has 26K records and print out two columns of fifty records in the order they appear in the file.

I have a reason I need to do this, it isn't fun and it isn't pretty, and yes, it is a huge waste of paper, but it really will be a time saver in the long run.

I am not great at Excel, I am crossing my fingers that someone else has needed this before. I know how to utilize macros, though I have limited experience writing and recording them.

Any help is appreciated.

• Edited by RandiB Monday, October 25, 2010 2:22 PM Spelling
    Monday, October 25, 2010 2:20 PM

Answers

• Sorry for not getting back sooner, but that is basically what you are left with - fiddling with font sizes, row heights, print margins and print scaling.  You can see the result in the page break preview mode.
    HTH, Bernie
    • Marked as answer by Bessie Zhao Monday, November 01, 2010 9:37 AM
    Monday, October 25, 2010 7:35 PM

All replies

• Randi,

A simple solution is to use formulas. Enter

=A51

in cell B1, and copy down to B50. Then copy B1:B100 (note that you will have 50 blank cells included in the copy area), and paste to B101:B26000.

Copy column B and paste macros, then select column B and use Edit Go to...  Special Cells,   blanks  and delete rows.  That will 'fold' your table into two columns.  Set the printing options so that you get 50 rows (100 records) on a page, and print your 260 pages of data.

HTH, Bernie
    Monday, October 25, 2010 3:37 PM
  • Set the printing options so that you get 50 rows (100 records) on a page, and print your 260 pages of data.

HTH, Bernie

I didn't explain myself very well, I do not need to fold my data.

I think what you stated about setting the printing option to only print 50 rows is exactly what I need, but I can not locate an option like that anywhere.

Can you explain exactly how to get there? I must be missing it.

Monday, October 25, 2010 6:35 PM
  • I am just going to adjust the margins and cross my fingers. I don't see any reason it shouldn't work, but I prefer something a little more technical I guess.
    Monday, October 25, 2010 6:47 PM
  • Sorry for not getting back sooner, but that is basically what you are left with - fiddling with font sizes, row heights, print margins and print scaling.  You can see the result in the page break preview mode.
    HTH, Bernie
    • Marked as answer by Bessie Zhao Monday, November 01, 2010 9:37 AM
    Monday, October 25, 2010 7:35 PM