none
I get error 'Could not open the item' when I try to access the mailitem's EntryID in Outlook 2013

Question

• In Outlook 2013, I do a search using Outlook UI and select a search result email and run the following code in VBA:

Sub test12()
        Dim oMail As Outlook.MailItem

Set oMail = Application.ActiveExplorer.Selection(1)
        Debug.Print oMail.EntryID
        Set oMail = Nothing
    End Sub

On the line Debug.Print oMail.EntryID, I get the following error:

Run-time error '-1144782585 (bbc40107)':
    Could not open the item. Try again.

I am using a pop3 account linked into the Outlook 2012 32bit on Windows 8 32bit.
    It I open the email and run the code on the open Inspector, I can access all the properties.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug in Outlook 2013?

Thank you.
    Anand

Anand Kumar

Wednesday, December 05, 2012 8:13 AM

Answers

• I was able to repro the bug no matter what PST the selected item is in, but the bug has been reported so that's about all we can do until the product group decides whether to fix it or not. About the only other thing that can be done is if you were to open a support incident, as it's a bug any charges would ultimately be refunded, and see if a hot fix can be arranged.

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007
    "a3kumarz" <=?utf-8?B?YTNrdW1hcno=?=> wrote in message news:46ef2857-cc3f-41cb-aa65-b2b9467a30ff...

Hi Ken, thanks for the reply. Yes I was able to get hold of a Windows 7 with Office 2013 Virtual Machine and was able to recreate the error as well.

In Win 7 & Office 2013, you have to select one of the search results that actually resides in another PST and then run the code to get the error.

In Win 8 & Office 2013, the search result items may reside within the same or different PST's and you run the code to get the error.

I however, donot see as to why the outcome is different when tested in different OS. Both OS and Office that I used for testing was 32bit.

Thanks.

Anand Kumar

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Wednesday, December 12, 2012 3:02 PM

All replies

• Is the item actually selected? What happens if you select an item independent of any search, does the code work then?

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "a3kumarz" <=?utf-8?B?YTNrdW1hcno=?=> wrote in message news:0297e404-6116-45f7-b1fc-9d45551b5ed5...

In Outlook 2013, I do a search using Outlook UI and select a search result email and run the following code in VBA:

Sub test12()
        Dim oMail As Outlook.MailItem

Set oMail = Application.ActiveExplorer.Selection(1)
        Debug.Print oMail.EntryID
        Set oMail = Nothing
    End Sub

On the line Debug.Print oMail.EntryID, I get the following error:

Run-time error '-1144782585 (bbc40107)':
    Could not open the item. Try again.

I am using a pop3 account linked into the Outlook 2012 32bit on Windows 8 32bit.
    It I open the email and run the code on the open Inspector, I can access all the properties.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug in Outlook 2013?

Thank you.
    Anand

Anand Kumar

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Wednesday, December 05, 2012 2:25 PM
  • Yes, I do click on the item to select it, it gets highlighted.

If i donot do a search and go to the folder in which that email resides, select it and run the code, it works fine without any errors.

Anand Kumar

Wednesday, December 05, 2012 8:01 PM
  • I don't have a Windows 8 VM set up yet, I tested this on Outlook 2013 x86 release version running on Windows 7 x86 with a POP3 account. I can't repro the problem there.

I took your sample code and put it in the VBA project, I ran a search in Sent Items and repeated a different search in Inbox. In both cases I selected an item from the search return in the UI and then ran the code. The EntryID was printed to the Immediate window with no errors.

Can you repro on a different OS than Windows 8? Can you repro this on another machine? You're testing with the release version and not a beta version?

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "a3kumarz" <=?utf-8?B?YTNrdW1hcno=?=> wrote in message news:749a2862-c374-4a09-84ff-f7894866d596...

Yes, I do click on the item to select it, it gets highlighted.

If i donot do a search and go to the folder in which that email resides, select it and run the code, it works fine without any errors.

Anand Kumar

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Thursday, December 06, 2012 3:35 PM
  • Hi Ken,

I didn't get a chance to test on any other OS other than on Win 8.

Yes, its the latest release Office 2013 version that was released on 28/10/2012,
    Microsoft Outlook 2013 (15.0.4420.1017) MSO (15.0.4420.1017) 32-bit.

I did some further testing and here's what I found:

Outlook Search provides the following search scope:

If the scope is set to Current Folder, Subfolders or Current Mailbox, then the code works without any errors. But if the scope is set for All Mailboxes or All Outlook items, then I get the error.

For my situation, there are multiple psts linked into my Outlook so have to search for All Mailboxes scope.

In previous versions of Outlook, this is working fine but not in Outlook 2013.

Anand Kumar

Friday, December 07, 2012 2:21 AM
  • I'll try to verify that, but I won't be able to get to that until next week.

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "a3kumarz" <=?utf-8?B?YTNrdW1hcno=?=> wrote in message news:d421e857-fe0b-4ab1-af32-7d3c7944a16b...

Hi Ken,

I didn't get a chance to test on any other OS other than on Win 8.

Yes, its the latest release Office 2013 version that was released on 28/10/2012,
    Microsoft Outlook 2013 (15.0.4420.1017) MSO (15.0.4420.1017) 32-bit.

I did some further testing and here's what I found:

Outlook Search provides the following search scope:

If the scope is set to Current Folder, Subfolders or Current Mailbox, then the code works without any errors. But if the scope is set for All Mailboxes or All Outlook items, then I get the error.

For my situation, there are multiple psts linked into my Outlook so have to search for All Mailboxes scope.

In previous versions of Outlook, this is working fine but not in Outlook 2013.

Anand Kumar

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Friday, December 07, 2012 6:30 PM
  • Hi Ken, Any update on this issue?

Anand Kumar

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 12:06 AM
  • Hi a3kumarz,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

I have similar environment like Ken mentioned. I still can't reproduce your issue. Please find out where is the different between us from the following screen shooting.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 7:47 AM
  • Hi Tom,

Did you have more than 1 PST file opened, and were you set up with your profile to use a POP3 account? I was able to repro the bug running on Win7x86 with Outlook 2013 x86 with scope set to All Outlook Items or All Mailboxes with 4 PST files opened.

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "Tom_Xu MSFT" <=?utf-8?B?VG9tX1h1IE1TRlQ=?=> wrote in message news:6f783f38-1c4c-4655-8b30-5a769a7b277b...

Hi a3kumarz,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

I have similar environment like Ken mentioned. I still can't reproduce your issue. Please find out where is the different between us from the following screen shooting.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Tuesday, December 11, 2012 3:20 PM
  • I was able to repro the bug running on Win7x86 with Outlook 2013 x86 with scope set to All Outlook Items or All Mailboxes with 4 PST files opened.

I reported the bug to the Outlook product group, and to the PM who is now in charge of the Outlook object model.

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "a3kumarz" <=?utf-8?B?YTNrdW1hcno=?=> wrote in message news:68f02158-a5e3-426d-9f3a-78fe181afe97...
    Hi Ken, Any update on this issue?

Anand Kumar

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Tuesday, December 11, 2012 3:20 PM
  • Hi Ken, thanks for the reply. Yes I was able to get hold of a Windows 7 with Office 2013 Virtual Machine and was able to recreate the error as well.

In Win 7 & Office 2013, you have to select one of the search results that actually resides in another PST and then run the code to get the error.

In Win 8 & Office 2013, the search result items may reside within the same or different PST's and you run the code to get the error.

I however, donot see as to why the outcome is different when tested in different OS. Both OS and Office that I used for testing was 32bit.

Thanks.

Anand Kumar

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 2:01 AM
  • I was able to repro the bug no matter what PST the selected item is in, but the bug has been reported so that's about all we can do until the product group decides whether to fix it or not. About the only other thing that can be done is if you were to open a support incident, as it's a bug any charges would ultimately be refunded, and see if a hot fix can be arranged.

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "a3kumarz" <=?utf-8?B?YTNrdW1hcno=?=> wrote in message news:46ef2857-cc3f-41cb-aa65-b2b9467a30ff...

Hi Ken, thanks for the reply. Yes I was able to get hold of a Windows 7 with Office 2013 Virtual Machine and was able to recreate the error as well.

Thanks.

Anand Kumar

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Wednesday, December 12, 2012 3:02 PM
  • I also run into this problem. I hope for a hotfix soon. I have Office Processional 2013 32-bit (version 15.0.4454.1004) on Windows 7 32-bit.
    Monday, February 04, 2013 8:49 AM
  • We currently have a customer with this error.  Is there a fix yet?

Monday, January 20, 2014 11:49 PM
  • There is no fix yet as far as I can tell, based on the latest available code.

If this is important you should open a support case with MS support and try to get a fix. The bug has been reported to the product group, but from there it's up to them to triage bugs and decide which to fix and when.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 6:45 PM
  • I reported this again to the product group, but I do encourage you to open a support incident if you can.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 6:52 PM
  • I am seeing the same issue. This post has exact step-by-step to reproduce, in case somebody finds it useful.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/5df28604-44ab-4a5e-b12e-3c45055e5892/outlook-2013-errors-on-messages-in-search-results?forum=outlookdev

Thursday, January 23, 2014 6:05 PM