none
Linking (URL - UNC) from Excel 2010 to PowerPoint 2010 through SharePoint 2013 Document sets

Question

• Problem

We are running SharePoint 2013 and document sets that have an excel file and a PowerPoint presentation both in the document set folder  and we have mapped this to a unc path \\SP.companyname.com\@SSL\DavWWWRoot\Documents

Once a link(graph) is added from excel 2010 (Ctrl C) then go into PowerPoint 2010 Paste > paste special > paste link (As Microsoft Excel Chart Object) click ok the graph goes into the PowerPoint presentation

The graph is added but in Power point 2010. Perfect.

The problem is when we close excel and try and click on the graph(link) we get the following error “The Server application, source file, or item can’t be found, or returned an unknown error. Yu may need to reinstall the server application”

If we right click then we get

The Linked file was unavailable and can’t be updated

Has anybody else experienced this issue? We are running SharePoint 2013 and document sets that have the excel file and PowerPoint in and we have mapped this to a unc path \\SP.companyname.com\@SSL\DavWWWRoot\Documents

I think that Office 2010 does not link or cannot link to a url which it see the unc path as?? It works in Office 2013 but we have Office 2010 as standard across the firm also I have tried SP1 and SP2 for Office 2010

Any ideas?

Tuesday, July 29, 2014 4:49 PM

All replies

• Hi Jake,

I try to reproduce the your scenario with Excel 2013 and PowerPoint 2013 in my environment  but all worked fine. It can be caused by something different between Excel 2013 with Excel 2010 or the link(gragh). 

For your issue, , I'm trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at it.

Best Regards,

Eric

Eric Tao
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 9:11 AM
  • Many thanks Eric, very much appreciated, It works fine when you first add the object into excel 2010, but once you close it and open it back up then we get the error message.

2013 excel and PowerPoint 2013 works fine for me, but we are unable to upgrade to Office 2013 at the moment

Thanks again

Jake

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 9:19 AM
  • Hi,

It seems like an office issue,so I need to do more search and do a test in my lab.Appreciate your patience. Thank you for your understanding and support.

Paul Shui
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer?on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer?if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread

Thursday, July 31, 2014 1:09 PM
  • Hey Paul, I have been in contact with the Office team they are still investigating the issue, I think we are narrowing it down a bit, it might have something to do with the site collection from the root https://comapanyname.com/QCR and it works on https://comapanyname.com/sites/QCR but because we went live with this case management and links have already be established to other programs and process we are unable to change this, So I guess that we need to try and understand and find a way around that first? 

Wednesday, August 06, 2014 11:15 AM
  • Hi,

Any feedback from office team? In my opinion, maybe AAM can cause this issue, so I shared AAM

information to you, it may one way to investigate the issue.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sharepoint_strategery/archive/2013/05/27/alternate-access-mappings-explained.aspxhttp://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263208(v=office.15).aspx

Paul Shui

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer?on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer?if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread

• Edited by Paul - MSFT Thursday, August 14, 2014 7:39 AM
    Wednesday, August 13, 2014 4:27 AM
  • I'm seeing the same issue. I have a client where we just completed an upgrade from SP2007 to SP2013 and the client contacted me re a PPT 2010 presentation (200 pages) with linked Excel 2010 charts still pointing to the old 2007 site. So, I added some VB code to modify the links to the new 2013 structure. Links are updated correctly.

But I get the message "Some linked files are unavailable and can't be updated. You might be able to re-establish them using the Links dialog. Go to the Document Information Panel and click on "Edit Links to Files" when I open the PPT and update the links.

So, to simply things I created a new PPT and just inserted 1 chart. I get the same results as above. After I add the chart, I can update the link, click on the graph, and all works as it should. As soon as I close the PPT and reopen I get the same results as Jake above. 

Any updates on how to resolve this issue? 

Monday, August 25, 2014 5:27 PM
  • Hi,jake

Did you check your AAM seetings? Maybe you can add the AAM screenshot on this forum,so I can check it.

Paul Shui

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 9:54 AM