none
Spell checker for Lync

Question

• im looking for a spell checker for Lync 2010 but i couldnt find any good spell checker. The one i found keeps the dictionary of the words, so it only works if the misspelled word is from that dictionary.

I know window 2008 has built-in spell checker for Lync, is there any way to install it on Windows 7?

If not then does Lync SDK supports spell checker so i can develop an app using it and then install on my machine

Monday, July 09, 2012 7:36 PM

Answers

• Lync does not directly support a spell checker.  You can work around the problem if you are willing to create a conversation window extension (CWE) application.  In the CWE, you add a text box and a button.  The text box will take the string that the user wants to send in an IM. Your logic will register for an event on the text box (mouse out, Enter pressed.. whatever) and then get the text property of the text box.  You then make a call into the Bing spell check web service to spell check the text and then send the corrected text.

Take a look at this article I wrote for MSDN last year. It shows you how to build a conversation window from scratch (yes, you won't be doing that!) and it also shows you how to add the spell checking logic. You can take that spell check logic and add it to a CWE.

John Austin Senior Programming Writer Microsoft

Thursday, July 12, 2012 4:59 PM
  • Try this

Friday, July 20, 2012 9:20 PM

All replies

• Hi, there are some thirdparty applications that you could use that listen to all your input and filters that so that it will spell check everything you write on your computer and not only Lync. 

Nothing out of the box but you should be able to develop something yes, if you dont find any 3rd party tools that fits your need.

Best Regards // Tommy Clarke - Please follow me @ Blog
    and Twitter

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 11:45 PM
  • Lync does not directly support a spell checker.  You can work around the problem if you are willing to create a conversation window extension (CWE) application.  In the CWE, you add a text box and a button.  The text box will take the string that the user wants to send in an IM. Your logic will register for an event on the text box (mouse out, Enter pressed.. whatever) and then get the text property of the text box.  You then make a call into the Bing spell check web service to spell check the text and then send the corrected text.

Take a look at this article I wrote for MSDN last year. It shows you how to build a conversation window from scratch (yes, you won't be doing that!) and it also shows you how to add the spell checking logic. You can take that spell check logic and add it to a CWE.

Thursday, July 12, 2012 4:59 PM
  • Thanks John, 

But i could not find the code in the article

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 10:01 PM
  • Try this

Friday, July 20, 2012 9:20 PM
    • Why doesn't microsoft just solve the ROOT CAUSE of this issue and integrate a spell-checker?
    • There is one in Outlook/Work/Powerpoint - the coding is obviosuly there - simply integrate it and be done with it.
    • Come to think of it, integrate it into Excel too - After all, that program just isn't for numbers too. Value added by reducing frustration of users only noticing these spelling errors before sending an important document off to the organization.
    • Please listen to the Voice of The Customer and integrate these simple solutions rather than suggesting "work-arounds" - A feature as simple as this should be a standard and any software company that requires users to do such actions (which for the most part CAN'T be done at the office due to work admin/firewall restrictions) needs some serious recalibration of priorities.
    • Also, you need a spell-checker with this comment box too...see these all over the place, shamefull not to have one on an official Microsoft page.
    • These are simple things that have a huge net benefit, so it is frustrating to see there is not read-across/consistency for integrating such a basic and critical featrue

• Edited by NB OSU Tuesday, October 08, 2013 4:28 PM
    Tuesday, October 08, 2013 4:25 PM