OneDrive Developer Center (redirect)

Looking for the Live SDK?

OneDrive logo

The Live SDK 5.6 is now available

Find it on the OneDrive Dev Center, the new place to find samples, documentation, and other resources for integrating OneDrive into your app.
Choose your download

If you're using previous versions of the Live SDK, the Live SDK 5.5 reference is still available.

Windows Live Photo Gallery doesn't display pictures

Question

•  

Hi,

on a new installation (Windows XP SP2) Windows Live Photo Gallery (Build 12.0.1308.1023) behaves very weird. Whenenver opening a .jpg the main section turns black and the sidebar on the left switches to black background. I can't use any buttons or menus anymore then, the only way to get it back is to close and reopen the program. This behaviour is happening everytime I try to open a graphic or a picture, no matter what type.

Is there something I could have broken?

Thanks in advance, cheers

Yoshi

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 12:53 PM

All replies

• I am having the exact same problem on Vista Business since yesterday or sometime before that. It was OK this weekend. Apparently something broke this in a windows update. Anyone else noticed this?

Friday, February 29, 2008 8:04 AM
  • I am having this issue as well.  I just noticed it today, but I haven't used photo gallery for a few days.  I also noticed my machine automatically installed a photo gallery update (kb946486) on 1/27 and I can't figure out how to uninstall it.  Photo Gallery also prompts me every time I open, asking whether I want to associate various picture file types with this program.  I say YES each time but it never sticks.  I can't preview any of my pictures now.  HELP!!!

Windows Vista machine by the way.

Friday, February 29, 2008 11:36 PM
  • Well if you are running Vista one option is to do what I just did: uninstall Live Photo Gallery. Vista Photo gallery is just as good and still works :-) Well almost; you miss out on the 'resize...'option, and for me the slideshow options were a little better.

I will now try to reinstall the photo gallery app..

Saturday, March 01, 2008 8:16 PM
  • True, which is what I'm doing as a workaround.  But the Windows Photo Gallery doesn't integrate with Live Spaces, so I'm losing quite a bit of functionality that I previously used.  I've logged my issue with Live Photo Gallery support and am currently working with them to see if we can resolve the problem.  Stay tuned!  Smile

Saturday, March 01, 2008 8:42 PM
  • Okay, just as I suspected: reinstalling the application didn't help a bit. To be expected, since the kb946486 update wasn't removed along with the Live photogallery uninstall. I don't know how to uninstall this update.
    Saturday, March 01, 2008 8:46 PM
  • Hi ya'll - I worked with the Microsoft Support Team over the past week to try several things.  We weren't successful in resolving the issue.  So they've taken copies of various .log files on my machine and have escalated the issue to the product development team.  I also let them know about this thread and the fact there were other people experiencing this problem who had different system configurations.  Hopefully we'll know more soon.
    Saturday, March 08, 2008 6:06 PM
  •  

Hi,

the Gallery works on my desktop computer, but it's a different version:

Build 12.0.1329.201

I didn't find this version anywhere on the net again, too bad. But perhaps it's kind of helpful. Was a beta version IIRC.

Cheers

Yoshi

Saturday, March 08, 2008 10:13 PM
  • I have given up on the Microsoft support here. I got from three different people the advice to uninstall and reinstall. This did not help at all. One thing they did successfully : if you are asked to associate a <bunch of filetypes> at start of live gallery, you can select the checkbox for "ignore these filetypes". This does successfully persist and you are not re-asked at every boot.
    But still every picture I open from within Live photo gallery I get the message "Photo gallery can't open this photo or video. The file may be unsupported, damaged or corrupted" which is pertinently untrue ( I can open it just fine with the non-live gallery and a bunch of other apps). The message is accompanied by the black toolbar buttons.

Monday, March 10, 2008 8:32 AM
  •  

Have any of you tried rolling back your system using System Restore?  It would be interesting to know if that helps.  It would certainly isolate the problem to the update.
    Wednesday, March 26, 2008 5:16 AM
  • Hey all,

I'm having this problem since few months, tried to uninstall and reinstall Live Gallery many times. Never works.

Formating & reinstalling the whole PC should certainly work, but I've find an easier solution : Create a new account, and recreate your session in it, Live Gallery do not cause problems anymore.

After seing this, and because this is obviously related to an error in my activ session, I tried to remove the store files in the Live Gallery folders in Local & Roaming for my account. Nothing.

Any idea ? could be a setting in the registry, a registered plugin, don't know... Certainly not hardware related.

Regards

Thursday, May 15, 2008 11:21 PM
  • Has anyone got any solution to this?

It has been driving me nuts for months. Every time I try to open or preview a picture I get black around the tree component and other bits of the window. If I mess around with the back button and other things (like displaying / closing the info panel) I can sometimes get the thumbnails back. But otherwise it is just close and restart.

I'm running XP SP3 and this has happened since the day I have installed Live Gallery (I was on SP2 then). Anyway, nVidia 7900GT video card with 175.16 drivers. Gallery is 12.0.1347.718.

Jody
    Friday, August 15, 2008 6:08 PM
  • Well I was having the bug "Photo Gallery can't open this picture or video" when trying to preview any JPEG I had, and I found a solution.

- Right-click anywhere on your desktop (in an empty space) and chose Personalize, then select Display Settings.
    - Click the Advanced Settings button
    - Go into the Color Management tab and click the Color Management button

Now for me, there was no entries in the "Profiles associated with this device" list when I was selecting my video card in the "Device" Drop-Down menu.

So I selected my video card in the Drop-Down menu and click the checkbox just under it (Use my settings for this device). then I clicked on the "Add" button and added a "sRGB IEC61966-2.1" color profile. Then I click the "Set as Default Profile" button. I did the exact same thing for the second video card entry I had in the Device Drop-down menu because I have two monitors on my PC.

I closed everything, rebooted (even tho it didn't ask me to) and I was finally able to preview any JPG/JPEG picture I had on my computer... yaye!

Hope this will work for someone else too.

Alex

Thursday, September 18, 2008 1:24 PM
  •  Alexandre Payette wrote:
    Well I was having the bug "Photo Gallery can't open this picture or video" when trying to preview any JPEG I had, and I found a solution.

- Right-click anywhere on your desktop (in an empty space) and chose Personalize, then select Display Settings.
    - Click the Advanced Settings button
    - Go into the Color Management tab and click the Color Management button

Unfortunately not. I already had a colour profile assigned for my monitor in XP, so it can't be that. The new wave 3 release of Photo Gallery still can't display jpg images (but videos work), although at least this time it doesn't just turn black. Now at least there is an error message.

Jody
    Monday, September 22, 2008 5:55 PM
  • I'm very sorry it didn't work for you, did you google your error message? were you able to find anything?

Alex

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 12:56 PM
  • Oh noo.

I've been considering integration with Live Photo Gallery. Are there problems? Bugs? Obviously I'd not want to mess with something buggy. We maintain Divorce Recovery Suite. Any ideas?
    Tuesday, September 23, 2008 7:24 PM
OneDrive Developer Center (redirect)

Looking for the Live SDK?

OneDrive logo

The Live SDK 5.6 is now available

Find it on the OneDrive Dev Center, the new place to find samples, documentation, and other resources for integrating OneDrive into your app.
Choose your download

If you're using previous versions of the Live SDK, the Live SDK 5.5 reference is still available.