Windows live messenger has encountered a problem.......................

Question

•  

When we try to sign in and it acts like we have signed in, but 3 or 4 seconds later it gives us a message of....

Windows live messenger has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

We have uninstalled and reinstalled twice and it still is doing the same thing.

It asks if we want to send an error report everytime.

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 12:39 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi, Which version are you using? Try yo use windows live messenger 8.5 beta
    http://get.live.com/betas/messenger_betas
    Tuesday, October 16, 2007 9:21 AM
  • I unistalled msn messenger and then clicked on the link that you had posted, it ran, but nothing seemed like it downloaded, what was suppose to download? I then tried MSN Messenger again and same error...

Monday, October 22, 2007 10:06 PM
  • Im having the exact same problem. Ive downloaded the latest versions multiple times. But same error. Interestingly though, its only my account that causes the error, other accounts can log on fine.
    Tuesday, October 23, 2007 11:26 AM
  • I just tried my wifes account and it was her account as well on this computer!

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 12:05 AM
  • Any other suggestions?

Sunday, October 28, 2007 5:17 PM
  • It seems like it has to do something that is saying im not connected to the internet? But I am or I wouldnt be able to be online? Something wrong with my settings maybe?

Sunday, October 28, 2007 8:07 PM
  • I have redownloaded many times, it ill open up and look like its going to go through but then comes the message, that I can send to them...??

Thursday, November 01, 2007 8:57 PM
  •  

Guys only copy the riched20.dll to system32 folder ,,, this should resolve the issue....
    Wednesday, April 30, 2008 2:41 PM
  •  mun1997 wrote:

Guys only copy the riched20.dll to system32 folder ,,, this should resolve the issue....

where do i find this riched20.dll ? i'm having this problem for like 1 week and i m sick of this... i had it b4 and i formated my hardisk it worked... but i dont wanna format my hardisk again and again as i have to remove and write my important files and its takes a long time... any other ways to solve this problem?? please help.
    thanks.

Monday, June 02, 2008 9:44 AM
  • hey wait i already have that in my system32 folder and.. but still i downloaded the dll file but i can't replcae it.. it says it is being used by another file or program..??
    Monday, June 02, 2008 9:54 AM
  • I had this recurring problem (Windows Live Messenger has encountered a problem....) with my daughters Live Messenger program this evening. Somehow I solved it in the following way: I uninstalled the zwinky - My Web Search program that was on my daughter's computer (and which has caused other problems on my wife's computer in the past) - then I ran the scan on the free version of Lavasoft ad aware 2007 & removed the spyware etc. (Its important to uninstall the My Web Search program first through the control panel - otherwise if Lavasoft removes the files beforehand then that will create a new problem of Windows on start-up still trying to run My Web Search).

After doing this everything was fine. So it is either My Web Search causing the problem (on my daughter's computer at any rate), or it was some other similar spyware/malware that was removed at the same time by the lavasoft program.

Tuesday, June 03, 2008 8:09 PM
  •  Scott KC wrote:

When we try to sign in and it acts like we have signed in, but 3 or 4 seconds later it gives us a message of....

Windows live messenger has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Tuesday, July 01, 2008 9:43 PM
  •  Scott KC wrote:

Tuesday, July 01, 2008 9:43 PM
  • Yeah, i use msn version 8.5. it showed me the error message then i change to version9 it stiil loaded message the same. i d't how to sovle it pls help me! Thank in advance

Friday, July 10, 2009 3:42 AM
  • Hi all,

You can find support options for messenger here

http://messenger-support.spaces.live.com/
    Diana Microsoft Partner http://djarts-express.spaces.live.com
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 7:32 AM
  • I have this problem too. I've uninstalled and reinstalled five times and still it encounters a problem.
    It's every time I press the send button or someone sends me a message that it encounters a problem. 
    I want help to find out what's wrong with it but I can't find help anywhere.
    :(

And sending an error report doesn't help, it just keeps asking me if I want to send an error report.
    I'm at a loss of what to do and can't find help. 

Thursday, August 06, 2009 4:18 PM
  • Listen up mate. This is my second time having this problem and i forgot the solution. Now when i read your comment i realised that if it wasnt the changing the time and date solution (thats 1 of many solutions btw :) ) i remembered that after i changed my windows live messenger password i didnt have this problem anymore. Try it, i think it will work :)
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 6:42 PM
  • Perform a clean re-install of Windows Live Messenger.  Vista instructions also work for Windows 7 -> http://messenger-support.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!8B3F39C76A8B853F!15384.entry

Works beautifully unlike many of the convulted solutions I've read online.

Monday, July 26, 2010 3:17 AM
  • Well I solved this same problem in two machines . Go to start / windows live / windows live sync . As soon as you sign in in Windows live SYNC messenger will pop up (if it doesn't pop up , double click on the icon on your desktop and it will start normally) and you can sign in normally . Try it and let me know if it worked . Thanks .
    Tuesday, August 03, 2010 8:41 PM
  • I am having the same issue. I am using windows xp

I have ran several virus checks and maleware as well.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled windows essential several times.

I have done a clean uninstall.  Removing the registry files as well.

I checked in program files / windows live. there is no window live sync there.

As soon as it tries to load the pop up windows pops up.  I have no windows live sync icon on my tool bar either.

Any other ideas?

• Proposed as answer by Tech RJ Tuesday, August 10, 2010 1:38 AM
    Thursday, August 05, 2010 12:40 AM
  • Hi there,

Try these steps as this should fix this issue...

Click on START > RUN> and type >Regedit and press enter..

Locate: and open it by clicking on + sign

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger\PerPassportSettings

Click on all folders (numbered) and locate a Reg file named “UTL

It should be a REG_SZ Type.

On the Data, it should be the one containing your email address next to "<msnobj Creator=".

Delete the saidUTL reg key.

Reboot the computer and now check the Window messenger..I am sure  you will be able to use the messenger

thanks

• Proposed as answer by Tech RJ Tuesday, August 10, 2010 4:27 AM
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 4:03 AM
  • Hi there,

Try these steps as this should fix this issue...

Click on START > RUN> and type >Regedit and press enter..

Locate: and open it by clicking on + sign

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger\PerPassportSettings

Click on all folders (numbered) and locate a Reg file named “UTL

It should be a REG_SZ Type.

On the Data, it should be the one containing your email address next to "<msnobj Creator=".

Delete the saidUTL reg key.

Reboot the computer and now check the Window messenger..I am sure  you will be able to use the messenger

thanks

• Proposed as answer by Tech RJ Tuesday, August 10, 2010 4:27 AM
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 4:23 AM
  • That worked! Thanks Tech RJ

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 5:50 AM
  • worked like a charm...thanks a bunch!
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 10:26 PM
  • Hey You are welcome ...
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 10:34 PM
  • Hey Jonyto I am sure the live messenger is working now?
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 10:34 PM
  • This worked for me: 

Clean Install. This is different from the usual uninstall and reinstall process because here, we will completely remove all the components of Windows Live Messenger and install it anew. I know that the steps are lengthy and technical at some points.

For the steps, along with screenshots, please go to http://messenger-support.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!8B3F39C76A8B853F!15345.entry

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 10:39 PM
  • no cigar yet :), deleting the UTL file in the registry didn't completely solve the problem for me, cause my sign in info being remembered caused the same crash, so I tried Eduvel_it's advice of a clean install, that is the answer guys...thank you Eduvel_it!

good luck to all!

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 2:55 AM
  • I got this off the microsoft support center. People who try to help without having the problem just waste everyone's time. There should be a way to mark these threads so people won't waste their time following wild goose chases.

a. Open Registry Editor:

For Windows Vista and Windows 7: Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box and then press Enter on your keyboard.

For Windows XP: Click on Start à click Run à type regedit à click OK

b. Click on the + sign of each of the items listed below to locate this folder: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger\PerPassportSettings\<Hash Number>

1. Click the [+] sign beside HKEY_CURRENT_USER

2. Scroll down and click the [+] sign beside Software

3. Scroll down and click the [+] sign beside Microsoft

4. Scroll down and click the [+] sign beside MSNMessenger

5. Scroll down and click the [+] sign beside PerPassportSettings

6. Check folders with Hash Number and locate “UTL” Reg_SZ key containing your email address. Delete it.

c. Close the Windows Registry Editor

3. Restart Windows Live Messenger and try to Sign-In

4. Once signed in, make sure to change the Windows Live Messenger display picture to a different one than what you have set during the Crash.

Thanks,

Freddie S.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 2:50 PM
  • I've tried everything trying to solve this "Windows Live has encountered a problem and needs to close". Nothings works.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Rod

Thursday, August 12, 2010 9:09 PM
  • Before the above fix I created a new user on my computer and was able to access WLM when logged in as the new user.
    Friday, August 13, 2010 2:02 PM
  • Tried that and no luck.

I'm going nuts here!

thanks anyway

Rod

Friday, August 13, 2010 7:08 PM
  • All of my attempts have failed. I tried everything but no luck.

Saturday, August 21, 2010 12:37 AM
  • Thanks a bunch...this error has been driving me CRAAAAAZY!!!!!! You are a God...;)

All good now!

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 1:30 AM
  • I got this off the microsoft support center. People who try to help without having the problem just waste everyone's time. There should be a way to mark these threads so people won't waste their time following wild goose chases.

a. Open Registry Editor:

For Windows Vista and Windows 7: Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box and then press Enter on your keyboard.

For Windows XP: Click on Start à click Run à type regedit à click OK

b. Click on the + sign of each of the items listed below to locate this folder: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger\PerPassportSettings\<Hash Number>

1. Click the [+] sign beside HKEY_CURRENT_USER

2. Scroll down and click the [+] sign beside Software

3. Scroll down and click the [+] sign beside Microsoft

4. Scroll down and click the [+] sign beside MSNMessenger

5. Scroll down and click the [+] sign beside PerPassportSettings

6. Check folders with Hash Number and locate “UTL” Reg_SZ key containing your email address. Delete it.

c. Close the Windows Registry Editor

3. Restart Windows Live Messenger and try to Sign-In

4. Once signed in, make sure to change the Windows Live Messenger display picture to a different one than what you have set during the Crash.

Thanks,

Freddie S.

I dont have perpassportsettings in my msnmessenger file D:
    Saturday, January 08, 2011 7:41 PM