OneDrive Developer Center (redirect)

Looking for the Live SDK?

OneDrive logo

The Live SDK 5.6 is now available

Find it on the OneDrive Dev Center, the new place to find samples, documentation, and other resources for integrating OneDrive into your app.
Choose your download

If you're using previous versions of the Live SDK, the Live SDK 5.5 reference is still available.

Intermittent Screen with Bing Maps on Android Webkit Browsers

Question

• Hello I am hoping if someone could give me some insight into what is happening to Bing Maps on my mobile website. I have used AJAX V7.0 API with Bing Maps REST Services and my implementation is like that given to us in Microsoft's Bing Maps example.

I have a situation where every time I touch/pan the map to move around it will consistently show and then not show the map, it doesn't look like its slow to load, parts that have previously loaded will disappear as well. If I touch to select the pin to show the infobox, it will always make the map disappear, but not the infobox or pin. Interestingly I have to double touch the pin to have the infobox display.

These are the 2 events that I have set to handle the infobox and I have not specified any other handlers for anything else.

Microsoft.Maps.Events.addHandler(parentPin, 'click', DisplayInfobox);

Microsoft.Maps.Events.addHandler(objMap, 'viewchangestart', HideInfobox);

This is only happening in a webkit browser on an Android device (default + DolphinHD). I have tested on Opera Mobile and it works fine. On Firefox Mobile it won't pan at all. IE7-9, Firefox 3-5, Chrome 10+ and Opera 11 on the desktop also works without any issue.

Since the mobile browsers are running different Javascript Engines I am guessing that it may be something related to different interpretations of event handling or different events being thrown?

If someone knows what is going it, I would love it you would share your knowledge.

Cheers,

Matt

Tuesday, July 05, 2011 8:19 AM

Answers

• Hi Matthew

Has your original issue got resolved? if you are not able to open bing.com/maps then try m.bing.com, this will help isolate the issue your implementation and v7 mapcontrol. in general tiles should not disappers until you have explicitly set map style to mercator map.setView({mapTypeId: Microsoft.Maps.MapTypeId.mercator});

-Hemant

MSFT
    Hemant Goyal
    Monday, July 11, 2011 4:15 PM

All replies

• Does this happen on the bing.com/maps website as well as your own? Please paste a link to the URL of your map.
    twitter: @alastaira blog: http://alastaira.wordpress.com/
    Tuesday, July 05, 2011 10:51 AM
  • Unfortunately, the site is still in development mode and I won't be able to provide a URL yet. I can only think of a few screen shots.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=2b35730fe7df734c&page=play&resid=2B35730FE7DF734C!105

and imagine when you move the map around with your finger it changes between the two images and everything else in between.

I have noticed on bing.com/maps that you can't actually get to it via their mobile version. But when I go back to desktop view, I can access maps. Even though it doesn't have the same problem. On different browsers on Android as well, it suffers from different issues.

Such as on the default and DolphinHD browser you can pan move but can't pinch zoom;

On Firefox 4 Mobile you can't pan move or pinch zoom but the zoom/pan buttons work;

On Opera Mini Mobile 11 it works fine.

I'm not sure if this will help in explaining the situation. I can put some code up if that would help?

* I just noticed on my Asus Transformer (Android 3.1) that there are again a different set of issues in Bing Maps on both official and my site. Each tile loads correctly but takes its time to adjust to the movement of my finger. This was discovered on the default android browser.

I also forgot to mention that when the problem relates to pan moving, the problem also exists when I try to move around the map with the navigation button on the dashboard.

• Edited by Matthew Lam Wednesday, July 06, 2011 12:46 AM additional information
    Wednesday, July 06, 2011 12:23 AM
  • Just wanted to let everyone know, the issue with my Bing Maps flickering is to do with my viewport meta tag.

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0, maximum-scale=1.0, user-scalable=no" />

When I comment it out, it stops flickering. The only issue though is that I need this tag. So I now have to work out which attribute is causing the flickering and see what can be done.

Thursday, July 07, 2011 3:18 AM
  • Hi Matthew

Has your original issue got resolved? if you are not able to open bing.com/maps then try m.bing.com, this will help isolate the issue your implementation and v7 mapcontrol. in general tiles should not disappers until you have explicitly set map style to mercator map.setView({mapTypeId: Microsoft.Maps.MapTypeId.mercator});

-Hemant

MSFT
    Hemant Goyal
    Monday, July 11, 2011 4:15 PM
OneDrive Developer Center (redirect)

Looking for the Live SDK?

OneDrive logo

The Live SDK 5.6 is now available

Find it on the OneDrive Dev Center, the new place to find samples, documentation, and other resources for integrating OneDrive into your app.
Choose your download

If you're using previous versions of the Live SDK, the Live SDK 5.5 reference is still available.