Windows live messenger won't open

Question

•  

I can't seem to get windows live messenger to open. Everything was working as usual until it randomly stopped responded and I was forced to end task. After ending task it will no longer open at all, i click on the icon and nothing happens, it isn't running in the task list either. I've uninstalled and reinstalled many times, nothing seems to comes up. Internet is working fine, firewalls are turned off, it just doesn't seem to ever open the program to allow me to sign in.

Thursday, May 03, 2007 1:31 PM

Answers

• I recently experienced this problem, where no matter what route I took the live messenger program wouldn't open. I went through the windows live site, found the 'get latest version of live messenger' and ran that program.
    I didn't bother to uninstall messenger, rather let this program 'update' the version I had, even though it was the latest version already. This, once complete, automatically began the messenger program for me, with the icon appearing in the bottom right to show that it was running.
    Hope this helps anyone else who has been having the problem!
    Friday, March 13, 2009 3:10 AM
  • Alright, not sure if its in here already but, for everyone that sees it in the Processes toolbar, (msnmsgr.exe) simply end the process, all of them if there are multiple, this solved my problem really quickly, though i have no clue what caused it. 
    Friday, January 02, 2009 8:25 PM
  • I have v14.0.8064.206 on Win7 RC, and it decided not to run one day out of the blue.

The process wasn't stuck in memory (so nothing to kill), rebooting didn't help, running a repair install didn't help.

What did help: Backing up the below key and deleting it, followed by reinstalling with Windows Live setup (no need to uninstall first). There isn't an installer for just Messenger. Note: I don't know if deleting the key is necessary.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger

http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/B/7/EB7AAFE7-514F-495A-A981-99830FE8E99E/en/wlsetup-custom.exe

Wednesday, June 17, 2009 8:32 PM

All replies

• I am now suffering the same problem, earlier my  other computer was having this problem and I tried full reinstall of the messenger but nothing now this pc is having the problem. Possible conflict with the new updates this week for windows?
    Wednesday, May 09, 2007 10:57 PM
  • I don't think the windows updates are the problem, atleast not for me, my problem started almost a week and a half ago now. i've been emailing back and forth with msn support the whole time and nothing so far has solved my issue. it's completely non responsive now, i've uninstalled it completely for now since it seems that my yahoo messenger also has problems when msn is installed, once i uninstall yahoo is fine again. i don't get it at all.
    Wednesday, May 09, 2007 11:18 PM
  • same thing just happened to me today.  It was working before, but not anymore.  I opened MSN but nothing happens, but it does show up in the Task manager (under Processes).  If I try to open MSN again, it will show up in the Process again.  I can have multiple copy of wsnmsgr.exe in the process, but it won't actually open....
    Wednesday, May 23, 2007 12:20 AM
  • good luck
    i've been working with this problem for over three weeks now
    still nothing...

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 12:25 AM
  • Alright people I think I have a possible solution. I got mine to work by reseting my router, I didn't know how this was fixing it but it was. So I looked more into it and it seems when someone on my network including myself starts msnmsgr.exe it creates exceptions in my routers firewall, but its adds so many it clogs the page and I can't delete them and once it hits the max exceptions msnmsgr.exe won't run anymore and I must reset my router once again to get it working. I am using the Dlink DI-604 with latest firmware. So give it a try reset your router and try running windows live messenger.

good luck,

Zigge
    Wednesday, May 23, 2007 1:02 AM
  • by reseting do u mean unplug it and plug it back in?
    Wednesday, May 23, 2007 1:08 AM
  • I got mine to work by resetting the router.

I did it through my router's page.  But I suppose you can just unplug the power to your router and reset that way.

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 1:11 AM
  • 3 ways to reset your router are:

1. Through the router itself.
    2. Push the little reset button on your router for 30sec.
    3. Unplug router for min 1 minute.
    Wednesday, May 23, 2007 1:15 AM
  • My MSN live messenger will show up in the task bar but when i go to click on it, it will disappear. I do not use a router i am on dial-up. Can anyone help?
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 3:53 PM
  • it worked, msn is opening again. thanks for the suggestion, a lot
    Friday, May 25, 2007 1:11 AM
  • I have a solution, and I think it will work for most of you.

1. disconnect to the internet

2. Open MSN Live Messenger

3. in the Tool -> Preference, close the option "login me in when connected to internet"

4. Save the perference

5. Connect to the internet

6. Login.

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 7:36 AM
  • Thank you for your advice! I almost thought I had it but a problem occurred.

Once I disconnect to the internet, Messenger does load. I tried changing the preferences like you suggested. After connecting again, WLM immediately freezes. After doing the whole procedure over and over again, with and without the preferences changed, it freezes right after I connect back on internet.

I hope someone can help me out

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 9:05 PM
  • Reboot your router.  First followed previous steps, then rebooted router after messenger freeze.
    Sunday, June 17, 2007 9:13 PM
  • I'm having the same problem , I tried resetting my router ,and that didn't work and when I open the task manager i can't end the process it just doesn't respond ,  I had it working fine the other day and only recently has it not worked. The icon is on my desktop but it never appears in my taskbar. and when i click on it , it just doesn't respond.
    Sunday, June 24, 2007 2:14 PM
  • i did all of this as well, but then i also unchecked automaticly run when windows is open, this owrked for about 30 sec
    Sunday, June 24, 2007 9:24 PM
  • I'm having the same problem and it's very frustrating.  You can't open WLM and disable any options because the window doesn't even show up.

msnmsngr.exe shows up in the task list but nothing else happens; uninstall/reinstall unsuccessful, etc.

Does anyone have a procedure or program that will completely wipe WLM off my computer?  The fact that an uninstall isn't really an uninstall is stupid, especially from an MS program.
    Thursday, June 28, 2007 2:22 PM
  • Thanks Zigge:  I had this problem 6 months ago and it just went away by itself - the router must have reset itself during a power outage (they're good for something eh?).  But it just started happening again on both my rigs and I was stymied.  But I found you post, thought, "what the hell" and gave it a try.  And it worked.  My router is a Dlink DI-624 and it does have issues (haha)  good luck to others with this problem.

Thanks
    Friday, June 29, 2007 4:24 AM
  • thank you so so so much.

this happened to me before and for weeks i couldn't get my messenger to work. then one day we had a power outage and all of a sudden it started working again when the power came back on. it was really weird, and i couldn't figure it out until now; the power went out and my router was reset. amazing. my msn messenger just stopped working a few minutes ago and i was having the same problems with it as before. so i found this forum and your suggestion is a life saver. i'll reset my router right now. thanks.

Monday, July 02, 2007 3:31 AM
  • I have the same problem, my WLM will not work anymore.  I am on Dial-up and over the weekend we had a power cut, now am unable to get it to work...HELP what do I do, I miss talking to my kids, am in UK and they are in Canada and we usually talk every night. Someone out there please help. Thanx
    Wednesday, July 04, 2007 2:00 PM
  • Alright people I think I have a possible solution. I got mine to work by reseting my router, I didn't know how this was fixing it but it was. So I looked more into it and it seems when someone on my network including myself starts msnmsgr.exe it creates exceptions in my routers firewall, but its adds so many it clogs the page and I can't delete them and once it hits the max exceptions msnmsgr.exe won't run anymore and I must reset my router once again to get it working. I am using the Dlink DI-604 with latest firmware. So give it a try reset your router and try running windows live messenger.

good luck,

Zigge

I had the exact same problem as well as owning a Dlink DI-604 router. I unplugged the power and waited about 15 sec then plugged it back in. All of a sudden Windows Live messenger shows up again. I updated the firmware on my router so hopefully this won't happen again. If it does I at least know what to do in order to fix it again. Thanks for the info!
    Wednesday, July 04, 2007 9:39 PM
  • Resetting my D-link router (WBR1310) fixed it for me as well Big Smile Thought I was going mad.
    Monday, July 09, 2007 3:17 AM
  • thanks for that post!!!!!

ive been doing everything i could think of to fix msn!!!!!! , i ran antivirus, regcure , spybot , i even did a system restore to b4 the problem occured!!! wow to think it was that simple just to pull the plug ay? ahha

cheers

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 11:19 AM
  • i am still having problems with this.  resetting my router did nothing.  i upgraded to vista and thats when the problems started.  if i click on the windows live messenger icon, nothing opens on screen, but if i go into my processes, there is a msnmsgr.exe running for each time i clicked on the icon.  i have uninstalled, reinstalled, jumped up and down, spun around, and still cant figure out a solution.

side note, i see to have slow startups, and vista tells me it is caused by a msmpeng.exe (i know its windows defender/onecare process)  but this generally only seems to happen when i have live messenger installed.  could there be any corollation between these 2 errors?

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 2:29 PM
  • i'm still can't run messenger in any way, anyone knows wich keys in the register have i to delete?

i'm not behind a router or else, only dial up.

Please help!
    Thursday, July 19, 2007 11:56 AM
  • Hi, try deleting this two keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSNMessenger
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MessengerService

Then run msn it should work now.
    I haven't had the oportunity to test if deleting just one of these solve the problem.
    Export those chain reg to have a backup, just in case.

My msn crash when i accept to watch webcam or when someone send a voice record Tongue Tied  my system is ok, i never had problems with early versions.
    Well i use msn rare times so i didn't test more =P

• Proposed as answer by Yami91 Thursday, July 29, 2010 4:35 PM
    Wednesday, July 25, 2007 4:03 AM
  • I have a DI-604 Router also and after trying several searches on the issue I came across this thread. The reseting router bit worked for me Smile. Thanks for the info.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 6:05 PM
  • rebooting the router did it for me, tried all kinds of stuff before i found this forum, a ridiculous amount of folks are having this problem, just happened to me yesterday, mid conversation. guess i'm lucky it did not happen sooner. my router is a di-624 with       4.04beta firmware  dated 17 may 2007.     thanks for the help folks.

Wednesday, August 01, 2007 4:54 PM
  • Reseting the router (DI604) works for me, but only for about 2-3 days then I have to reset it again.  This is getting frustrating.  Anyone else running into repeatedly having to reset their router and any suggestions?  I am using the latest firmware available and switched from WLM 8.0 to their beta version with no effect on this problem. 

Thursday, August 09, 2007 1:35 AM
  • Thanks it worked for me i just pressed reset on the router

Thursday, August 09, 2007 3:58 AM
  • I'm having the exact same problem, as soon as i start the Webcam it crashesTongue TiedTongue Tied!!
    Thursday, August 09, 2007 9:58 AM
  • Ok, so the way I got my WLM to work all the time is to turn off UPNP in my D-Link router options this eliminates the problem of WLM creating so many firewall exceptions for ports and usually the same range of ports that it locks up the ability for WLM to communicate properly with the router resulting in it crashing / not opening.

So far seem allot of you having the same problem are using D-Link routers, hopefully M$ fixes this so I can enable UPNP again or maybe D-Link will come out with a resolution in some new firmware but still fingers crossed.

Good Luck WLM Users,

-Zigge

Thursday, August 09, 2007 2:41 PM
  • Thanks Zigge - your suggestion to turn off UPNP has finally solved my problem!  Every firewall exception generated by WLM has disappeared.   I really appreciate your help.

Saturday, August 11, 2007 12:14 AM
  •  

How do i turn off UPNP on a netgear DG834GT?
    Monday, August 20, 2007 10:54 PM
  • Hi Wipas,

Enter the following into your browser..

What this does is allow you to log into your router to change settings.. next, search thorugh your settings in your router for  enabling / disabling uPnP.
    Monday, August 20, 2007 11:22 PM
  •  

Ah i already knew how to log on to the router. I have found the settings in the left panel and managed to switch off

cheers Smile

Monday, August 20, 2007 11:32 PM
  • Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!  I reset my D-Link DI-624 router and viola WLM showed up!  It was working fine till last night then I couldn't open WLM this morning even after uninstalling and re-installing.  I'm so glad I found this forum, Thanks bunches to everyone!

Thursday, August 23, 2007 2:20 PM

• This also happens with my LevelOne Router. Figured the uPnP out by myself but did formatting windows once!
    Not sue whose problem is this.
    Friday, August 31, 2007 3:12 PM
  • Thanx buddy i had this problem for over a week before i found out about this forum. I did exactly what u said and it worked right away... I reseted with the button but it didnt seem to do anything so i literaly unplugged it and the msn messenger poped with an error right then. Plugged it and the msn worked fine.. I have the same router model btw Dlink Dl-604.

So thanx Zigge !

Out.
    Tuesday, September 11, 2007 2:32 AM
  • Hey everyone,

I just moved into my new apartment, which comes with internet access.  As a result, I do not have access to the router.  I'm now experiencing the same problem with Windows Live Messenger.  Since I can't change the router settings, is there anything that I can do from my computer to fix this problem?

Thanks!

Saturday, September 15, 2007 2:24 PM
  • Ok, I have the solution. Download the Windows Install Cleanup from the Microsoft site. www.microsoft.com Then after installing it, run it, and remove ALL of the lines that have Windows live in it, for example [all users] Windows live messenger. Then reinstall Windows live messenger. The program basically deletes all traces of Windows live messenger from your Registries. I had the same problem, did this. Works like a charm.

Friday, September 21, 2007 4:04 AM
  • I tried this out. As I thought this doesn't solve the problem of the messenger crashing itself through upnp.
    Friday, September 21, 2007 12:41 PM
  •  

thanks, I've been trying to find th eproblem for at least 2-3hours without success before reseting my dlink 624 router.

it works perfect now, thanks !

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 5:10 PM
  •  

That did it, thanks so much!
    Wednesday, September 26, 2007 10:43 PM
  • HEEEELP NONE IS WORKING Tongue TiedTongue Tied .... i have a speedstream 6250 or sumthing liek that number .... and i duno what to do i reset it it ddnt work, downloaded that clean up utility from microsoft also ddnt work .... fully reinstall numerous times and ddnt work ... S: ..... what to do ???????????
    Monday, October 01, 2007 12:42 PM
  • I had a momentary similair problem with MSN today.

Immeadiately fixed it, so try this (just to make sure)

Open your task manager and check and make sure that, in processes, all of the messenger processes are closed.

For whatever reason, I had about 5 running, and the program refused to start, open, and was non responsive from the toolbar.

Hope this helps
    Tuesday, October 02, 2007 5:23 AM
  •  

It worked for me to reset router as well. Very strange, just don't understand why...
    Tuesday, October 02, 2007 1:25 PM
  • Like some many other, I've had the same problem, it has something to do with the Internet/ Ethernet connection. I unplugged the connection and tried once more to start it before plugging back in. Surprise surprise live messenger opened! My question is WTF MSN?

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 7:33 AM
  •  

the problem is the NAT: if you block the port WLM needs, it will endlessy try mapping it with no result and so it never shows up.

Remove every rule from the NAT (in you router page) it should work. at least it did for me!

Monday, October 22, 2007 2:50 PM
  • We have four computers connect to the same DI604 router.  One of the computers started having this WLM problem and I found this thread.  Rebooting the router allowed starting of WLM on this computer.

However, the other computers never had the problem.  If it's a firewall problem, why did it affect one but not the other computers
    connected to the same router?
    Sunday, November 04, 2007 5:16 PM
  • Try connecting each computer alone.

If they connect normally it may still be an overmapping problem. Anyway, check if your router has uPnP, and if it has make sure it's enabled. If that doesn't work either i really don't know what to do.

I got 3 computer connected on the same router and after rebooting it i had no problem.

Bye

Monday, November 05, 2007 12:52 PM
  •          Ok, i don't know what the problem is about it but i have it too; but i have tried some stuff and i found ways to make it work. The main way i use now is once i log in to my computer (and msn live messenger doesn't work) i put it into standby and take it out which seems to load it. I also go to the task manager, and close all useless programs that i don't use (for me, all the apple programs that load; ie. itunes, ipodupdater, applemobiledevice, etc).

By doing that it seem so load it fine, but sometimes i have to restart and try again... so i hope that helps some people that have the same problem.

Edit: Yeah, problem came back again, so my new solution is Upgrading to Windows Live Messenger Beta 9.0

So far no problems what-so-ever. (Links for Live 9.0 can be googled)

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 1:13 AM
  • its your web cam drivers uninstall and update form web

Friday, November 23, 2007 11:58 AM
  • how can i get it opened

Monday, December 03, 2007 3:35 PM
  • uninstall webcam driver reinstall from website not windows update

Tuesday, December 04, 2007 9:16 AM
  • its your webcam driver

Tuesday, December 04, 2007 9:29 AM
  • here i have a cable modem - ive tried "disabling" the internet connection - but nothings actually working

does anyone know the reason why this has happened - cos mine was working - 2 minutes ago
    also my limewire netweork wont connect...

my computers went nuts
    Saturday, December 15, 2007 12:57 AM
  • Same thing started  happening here. You all should know the DL - 604 are at their end of life (EOL), you can view this at http://support.dlink.com/products/default.asp?viewEOL=1

This will show the other products reaching EOL with Dlink. I have been using Dlinks for years and had no troubles until recently. Currently I run a WBR 2310 Dlink wireless capable router, and 2 pcs here started experiencing the same issue. When I saw this thread, I tried rebooting my router, logged on the router, go to Tools > System > Reboot, and lo and behold! Live Messenger suddenly appeared and after I got the local area connection popup it was now connected, I chose sign in! It worked! Obviously there is an issue with Dlink routers, so maybe we should let them know and maybe they can include a fix in the next firmware upgrade. I only hope I don't need to reboot my router everytime I want to open Live Messenger!

Sunday, December 16, 2007 6:29 PM
  • Thank you sooooo much!!! I reset my router and now it works fine.  I have been having this problem on and off for several weeks now. I had tried uninstalling/reinstalling several times and it never worked so I would just wait and eventually it would "magically" start working again.  I'm assuming that was when the router was resetting itself.  I also have a D-Link but I'm not sure what the model number is.  Again, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Monday, December 17, 2007 5:31 PM
  •  

The exact same thing happened to me today, everything in ur post is similar to what is happening to me.I'm happy to see that i am not alone with this problem. Kinda weird tho, both me and u are experiencing this problem today.
    Tuesday, January 01, 2008 7:10 PM
  • Hey, I'm really needing som help, my msn also bugged out recently, i tried resetting the outer, uninstalling and re installing, and still nothing, i even tried opening task manager and even it isn't working, they show up on the task bar but when i click them, something on the right of my screen flickers, it's my msn, it's like it's off the screen, same goes for my task manager, any help would be AMAZING, thank you in adavance

Thursday, January 03, 2008 7:56 AM
  •  

Thanks so much!!! I've been going crazy trying to figure out the problem! I did what you suggested and it work!!! Thanks alot!!!
    Saturday, January 05, 2008 4:24 AM
  •  Zigge wrote:
    Alright people I think I have a possible solution. I got mine to work by reseting my router, I didn't know how this was fixing it but it was. So I looked more into it and it seems when someone on my network including myself starts msnmsgr.exe it creates exceptions in my routers firewall, but its adds so many it clogs the page and I can't delete them and once it hits the max exceptions msnmsgr.exe won't run anymore and I must reset my router once again to get it working. I am using the Dlink DI-604 with latest firmware. So give it a try reset your router and try running windows live messenger.

good luck,

Zigge

THANK YOU!

msnmsgr.exe was in task manager, but wouldn't show up.  I rebooted the router (not a full reset, just a restart!) and msn instantly loaded up!

I'm running a dlink 624 (basically a 604 with 108mb/s wireless).

thanks, and good find!

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 12:41 AM
  • before you start any of this router resetting hibity-jibbity, have you tried repairing it? Go to control panel> add/remove programs

(programs> uninstall a program. for vista) find windows live messenger, then press "change". Live Messenger Setup Wizard will come up then press "repair". its pretty basic and i dont know if it will work for you but it did for me

Sunday, February 03, 2008 4:06 AM
  • I had this problem, where multiple copies would open in the processes but nothing actually opened... i deleted every single msn process i could possibly find in task manager and tried to reopen msn and it worked... i know that probably wont work for anyone else haha but give it a try, especially if, like me, you cant be bothered pissing around with your router and what not.
    Monday, February 04, 2008 1:15 PM
  • Previous router advice fixed my problem

DI 604  D Link router  latest firmware

Simply pulled the power plug on back of router > live messenger sign in page popped up on screen > plugged power cord back in to router.

did sign in > back in business.

Thanks to all    Russ.R
    Tuesday, February 12, 2008 3:21 PM
  • hey

this problem happened to me today, and i cant get it to work.
    did you get the problem fixed?
    if so, how?

this is really fustrating.

THANKS!
    Thursday, February 14, 2008 7:47 PM
  • Craig   as I stated above   I simply pulled the power plug on the back of my DI 604 Dlink router & left it unplugged for about a minute. When I plugged the power back into the router my WLM sign in page popped up on screen & was able to sign in & connect.

That was it I did nothing else & did not persue any other settings etc. as I was back in business.    As a foot note I have rebooted my XP probably 4-5 times & each time auto sign in has worked as it always did..

Best I can tell you as to what got mine back up & working...

Good Luck on your problem  Russ.R    2/14/08
    Friday, February 15, 2008 2:27 AM
  • Hey guys, for everyone who has had no success with everything else. Honestly, update the drivers for your webcam...i realized the other day i was messing around with this and then after windows live messenger wouldnt open. I just went to my manufacturer's site and updated the webcam drivers and now its working perfect. Give it a shot!
    Wednesday, February 20, 2008 4:14 AM
  • Leggo I never had a webcam hooked up to this PC. I still had trouble with my WLM not opening. Same with the other 2 users on my network. It seems to be an issue with WLM and the upnp settings it applys within a users router (or intermeidary device with upnp capbility). This is why for me and other people the disabling of upnp in their router allows them to use WLM.

Thanks,

Zigge

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 4:58 AM
  • yeah it seems to be a different problem for most people. Defenitly was not the router for me. Going into stand by would also open it up for me but it didnt fix it permanently until i updated my webcam drivers. Thanks to everyone for all the feedback
    Wednesday, February 20, 2008 5:02 AM
  • Unbelievable, disabling UPnP worked for me! I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium and I couldn't get messenger to run, even though it showed up in the task manager. I just disabled UPnP and messenger worked. Then I turned UPnP back on and messenger still worked.
    Friday, February 22, 2008 7:33 PM
  • Thanks a bundle buddy Smile

j

fdgfhghjkl\

Sunday, February 24, 2008 11:56 PM
  •  

windows messenger wont open

right this may sound absolutely ridiculous right

but i solved my one not opening by clicking the side of the screen by accident when i was on media player

and dragging it back onto the desktop   - try about 3/4's of the way of guys and ye may find it hiding there, keep clickign and dragging over alll round about the right hand side of yer screen

you never know

worked for mee

good luck guys

if it dosnt work then sorry

Chris Russell
    Monday, February 25, 2008 12:50 AM
  • It seems to be an issue with Messenger itself, not with the router, since I don't have a router.

I have a dynamic IP, and often notice messenger working, not working...

the issue is starting the messenger. Once started it gives me no trouble.

As long as the messenger doesn't pop up you can't see a repair connection window or something of that sort....

I have tried resetting the modem IP many times, and when I do, I have dynamic IP, I just have to unplug the telephone wire of my DSL connection; but without results... MSN still doesn't work.

I noticed sometimes MSN don't work, and maybe 20 or 30 minutes later (leaving my computer online for a download for instance) I try again and it does work!

Previously I downloaded and reinstalled the whole MS framework (1, 2.2, 3.5) (bout 2-300Mb) because I thought that would solve the problem; and it somehow did..

but reading through this forum I came upon the post which said to restore the messenger setup in software section; and that helped for me as well!

It's better then my previous method in that: It's a 20 second fix; and doing that doesn't even get your icons off the desktop!

(I'm running this from another language, so I'm just translating to what I guess would be the right words in Eng. version of Windows):

I'm going with the methode: Config panel > Software > Windows Live Messenger > change/modify > restore!

that worked for me.

Even my GF had issues with it on her pc.

It's with the latest versions (starting from May 2007 when it all became Windows live messenger, instead of MSN messenger) that these bugs are here....

She has a 5 years old pc with winxp with the issue, and also has a newer intel core 2 duo pc running Vista and has the issue on that one as well...

Microsoft, time to wake up, time to fix it!

Sunday, March 02, 2008 10:15 PM
  • hey, ive had this problem for a month now and i cant seen to fix it, im using a next g wireless modem and dont know how to disable the UPnP or even reset it. ive tried uninstalling a reinstalling and nothing, i just want it fixed. thatnks for any help.

Tuesday, March 04, 2008 7:05 AM
  • I have belkin router, tryed turned off NAT, firewalls, reinstalling messager, rebooting router, turning UPnP off. when i try open it it just dont open, but can see it in the task manager on the list of processes, and i am able to close them at anytime.
    First started with windows live crashed and then didnt start again.

HELP ME!!!!!!!
    Sad
    Saturday, March 22, 2008 2:27 PM
  • Folks, I heard about this from someone else's post, and it's working for me now. I have a Dlink router, so for other brand names  I'm not sure how you'll find this setting. Consult your manuals or go online and search for one for your particular router. I went into the advanced network settings and unchecked the box where it said to enable UPnP. What this did is disabled UPnP. This is the option for Universal Plug and Play which allows support for peer to peer  plug and play functionality for network devices. Since I removed that checkmark, which seems a couple months now, Live Messenger opens all the time now. Its working for me, so maybe you should try this.

Saturday, March 22, 2008 5:11 PM
  • I tryed turning UPnP off and it was already off so i put it on and still didnt work!
    Saturday, March 22, 2008 5:25 PM
  • I had this problem with Vista Ultimate and Linksys routers. Turns out the problem was to do with my Logitech webcam, I unplugged it, opened msn and it worked fine!!
    Thursday, March 27, 2008 7:07 PM
  • Yeah!

Try deleting this two keys:

It works for me. Thanks.

Friday, April 04, 2008 2:06 AM
  • for me it just seems random now, it briefly worked everytime when I left my webcam unplugged but now it just doesn't work every so often and I usually have to reboot a few times then it will. For me tho, if WLM doesnt work then WMP wont work either, it loads the gui window but just freezes and crashes.
    Friday, April 04, 2008 4:35 PM
  • tryed the regedit thing, nothing changes, still crashes and then won't open after that.

Friday, April 04, 2008 5:29 PM
  • I've got no idea how this affects MSN in some way, but with an Encore router, it worked as well.
    Saturday, April 12, 2008 6:26 AM

• 'kay couldn't find the regular post button for some reason so sorry I had to reply through your message KHalliwell <_>;

Anyways um, I was just wondering--it seems that resetting the router does the trick but I have to do it every few days and I just want to know if there's a permanent solution to this, at all? Sad It's quite a hassle
    Wednesday, April 16, 2008 8:11 AM
  • I love you <3
    It actually worked.

thanks for your help. I appreciate the effort you put towards
    fixing the problem ex. thinking outside the box
    I thought it was my pc being dumb.

- Eric

Saturday, May 03, 2008 3:46 PM
  • With Windows XP the issue of the WLM not loading and creating many instances of it in the task manager is simple to fix.

By removing the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MessengerService as soon as you click delete on that key WLM should load right up in your task bar.  I did remove both this one and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSNMessenger and once the WLM started up I checked the registry again and the MSNMessenger key was the only key to reload.  I think the MessengerService is getting installed for some reason especially when you reinstall the WLM.  My guess is that it is not removing all the leftover *** after the installation is complete.  The MessengerService is a key that is associated with the old MSN Messenger and is not needed for WLM.

As I said in the first sentence, this worked for me on an XP system and I have not had an problems with the other 6 computers I have of which 2 are XP Pro, 1 is Vista Ultimate and the other 3 are Vista Home Premium.

I hope this will help anyone else with their problems and also understand what is causing it.

Later,

-G

Sunday, May 04, 2008 7:07 PM
  •  Zigge wrote:
    Alright people I think I have a possible solution. I got mine to work by reseting my router, I didn't know how this was fixing it but it was. So I looked more into it and it seems when someone on my network including myself starts msnmsgr.exe it creates exceptions in my routers firewall, but its adds so many it clogs the page and I can't delete them and once it hits the max exceptions msnmsgr.exe won't run anymore and I must reset my router once again to get it working. I am using the Dlink DI-604 with latest firmware. So give it a try reset your router and try running windows live messenger.

good luck,

Zigge

This was the only way I could solve the same issue.
    Good on you for posting the answer.

Saturday, May 10, 2008 2:32 AM
  • You were right on the money Zigge! I reset my DI-604 and everything is hunky dorey now. Thanks again for you research.

Monday, May 19, 2008 2:57 AM
  • I have tried everything listed in this forum post to get Windows Live Messenger to work, The process appears in my task manager multiple times and i can end the process, but no matter how many time i restart the router/computer/internet. It never works.

I tried going into my router and disabling UPnP that had no effect just made my connection go haywire

I uninstalled/reinstalled/regedited it out and deleted the folder.

If someone can give me some advice I would be greatful
    Tuesday, May 27, 2008 1:51 AM
  •  

Resetting the ADSL router worked a treat...but for how long?  At least it's up and running again.
    Wednesday, June 11, 2008 10:05 PM
  •  Tskoval wrote:
    I have tried everything listed in this forum post to get Windows Live Messenger to work, The process appears in my task manager multiple times and i can end the process, but no matter how many time i restart the router/computer/internet. It never works.

I tried going into my router and disabling UPnP that had no effect just made my connection go haywire

Same exact thing. I'm using ethernet plugged into the wall but I have a linksys and netgear enabled in my fairly large house for connections all over. One in my basement and one in the other room. Any suggestions anyone?
    Saturday, June 14, 2008 6:18 PM
  •  Tskoval wrote:
    I have tried everything listed in this forum post to get Windows Live Messenger to work, The process appears in my task manager multiple times and i can end the process, but no matter how many time i restart the router/computer/internet. It never works.

Same exact thing. I'm using ethernet plugged into the wall but I have a linksys and netgear enabled in my fairly large house for connections all over. One in my basement and one in the other room. Any suggestions anyone?
    Saturday, June 14, 2008 6:18 PM
  • Thank you so much ! I had the same problem and this worked perfectly!

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 12:52 AM
  • When it happened to me I tried the following:

1. Close all instances of msnmsgr.exe in task manager.
    2. Uninstall the program.
    3. Go to the registry (start>run>regedit) and delete the windows live key folder at location HKEY_LOCALMACHINE < SOFTWARE < Microsoft < "Windows Live" <------ this one gets deleted. It should have something like 3 sub-folders. Then restart your computer.
    4. Go and download the windows live messenger installer and install everything that you want, probably sign in assistant and messenger, there's a few different things if you want them.
    5. Restart your computer again with the internet disconnected (either unplug or turn off wireless. This is just a precautionary it might not make a difference.)
    6. Hopefully it works now, it should load on start-up if not try to run it but if it doesn't you might have a more complicated problem.

Best of Luck.
    Thursday, June 26, 2008 3:33 AM
  • I've tried everything that's been suggested here.  I'm on an ActionTec 704 wireless DSL modem/router, with the UPNP turned off.  I've removed, re-installed, repaired, etc. Windows Live Messenger, I've edited the registry, I've tried everything I can think of.  Windows Live Messenger still sits there, with the two dumb characters spinning around each other, saying it's signing in... and nothing ever happens.  This is rediculous.  I just bought this machine... Intel quad core 6600, with Vista Home Premium 64 bit.  It was working yesterday.  It's not working today.  I've removed the Logitec webcam (unplugged it) and made sure all of it's drivers are disabled in the task manager.  What's left?  How can I get this POS running?!!!!

Eugene Humbert
    Monday, June 30, 2008 9:56 PM
  • As much as this is a last resort the first time this happened to me (about two years ago maybe) it didn't matter what I did to get it working until I formatted the computer. It was only after that it actually started working for me, until my recent post where editing the registry worked. It seems microsoft doesn't have much help on this one and we're pretty much left with the guess and check approach at I.T support. Also I have a logitech cam on one of my pc's and nothing has ever happened to msn on that PC so I doubt it's that. Unless Microsoft has updates for 64 bit OS for msn a clean start is all I can reccomend.

Best of luck.

Tuesday, July 01, 2008 5:34 PM
  • Just for the fun of it, I also reset my router to see if this would work. I have a different model than the DI-604, but it is a Dlink nonetheless, and low and behold, after I reset it, it worked.  Pulling the plug, waiting 5 seconds and then plugging it back in again.

Whoda thunk it?

Thanks Zigge

Saturday, July 05, 2008 2:41 PM
  • I was putting a skin onto my windows live messenger and now it wont open. I click Open Messenger and nothing happens. The thing that made my messener get messed up is this link.      http://www.msgpluslive.net/skins/view/35-Thunder-Messenger/   I tried to download it 2 my messenger.

Sunday, July 06, 2008 8:44 PM
  • Omg(oh my gosh)!

the same thing that made your wlm(windows live messenger) screw up did it too mine too!!!!
    and right now im at a total panic because i just got this laptop
    like litterally two days ago. PLEASE dont tell me its a virusSad
    and PLEASE  tell me yu got your wlm working again? if so
    i would deffinately love the advice of what you did Smile<3
    Monday, July 07, 2008 6:03 AM
  • Live messenger just caused me a BSOD.  I found a solution for it in another thread and maybe it may help you guys as well -

"fix this problem by stopping the sharing service

do the following

disable

start -> run -> services.msc

then go to  Messenger Sharing Folders USN Journal Reader service

click on proprieties and disable it

it will work, i try it...

hope i helped you"

Wednesday, July 09, 2008 5:14 PM
  •  TJX wrote:

Live messenger just caused me a BSOD.  I found a solution for it in another thread and maybe it may help you guys as well -

"fix this problem by stopping the sharing service

do the following

disable

start -> run -> services.msc

then go to  Messenger Sharing Folders USN Journal Reader service

click on proprieties and disable it

it will work, i try it...

hope i helped you"

This doesn't work, NOTHING on this thread has worked for me, I've been watching this thread through email for months and its just not happening for me Sad

I have a belkin router, restarting router/unpluging then pluging it doesn't work.

Randomly sometimes MSN does open but it will crash after a while because I have maybe 2 chat windows open...

Once its crashed it will NOT open for another week. wtfff gah

My computer is very fast so that isn't the problem. I just want mircosoft to fix this damn *** =[

I've had to use ebuddy when ever I want to use msn and thats just ***!

Rick

Wednesday, July 09, 2008 11:43 PM
  •  

wowowowowowowowowwowowow!

ok no sulutions worked for me on this forum but, I just tried this and it fixed msn AND it didn't crash while using it.

simply install http://live.msgdiscovery.com/

so far its working fine =D

hope this helps

months and months it hasn't worked and now trying the stupid, worked xD

Installing an add-on for a program that doesn't even work lol

good luck

Rick

Thursday, July 10, 2008 12:26 AM
  • Oddly enough... resetting my router worked for me. I wont ask how it worked, but it did. Good enough.
    Saturday, July 26, 2008 9:26 PM
  • IT WORKS!

Thanks a lot with your idea to reset the router. I update mine (DI-604) less than a week ago (v3.51 to v3.53) and this problem came on two of my three computers. MSN was not running on one for 3 days and suddenly start running by itself and then the problem came on my second computer. I tried all the solution possible, reinstalling, repair etc.

It is strange that when the problem was on one computer and not on the other two at the same times. I am wondering to rollback my firmware to the previous version that, in fact, had no problem with it.

Again, thanks a lot.

Monday, August 04, 2008 5:03 PM
  • Presuming you have Vista?  I was having the same trouble, used to run fine and then...... and after weeks of tearing my hair out....stumbled upon a soloution!!  firstly uninstall all Messenger ok? then install the older 7.0 version ( google it) it's not so bad,and it least you can communicate!  when installed, click on the icon on your desktop but DO NOT SIGN IN, IN  THE BOX.  CLICK ON " SIGN IN WITH ANOTHER USER".?....AND THEN YOUR IN!!!  GOODLUCK! HOPE THIS WORKS AS WELL AS MINE! HAVE HAD IT RUNNING FOR 2 WEEKS NOW.....SWEET!

Monday, August 04, 2008 8:17 PM
  • i think that this came when i opened an email that i received; then my email chat off and a window live messenger opened in portuguese inquiring to open my messenger again (sign in); after that i could not sign in. can you please help me . my cel #= 1407-415-6287. thank you. luis 

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 10:29 PM

• I reset my router and it worked immediately!!!  Thanks for the tip!!!
    Wednesday, August 27, 2008 10:06 AM
  • Hi I just wanted to say thanks for the help from everyone I know for a fact that reseting works BUT DON"T STOP READING YET

for those who can't get it to work again WLM 9 beta does work I just tried it and although I didn't update camera drivers That also seems like an excellent strategy for all people who have no access to a router(dorm buildings and whatnot)

the link for WML 9 is http://www.9down.com/Windows-Live-Messenger-9-0-Beta-Download-19863/ and you may need http://www.7-zip.org/ to open

also to update webcam drivers go into hardware under system and look for the webcam driver then right click and select update
    Friday, August 29, 2008 4:38 PM
  • YES well a conmbination of these helped me actually. i disconeected my router. while disconnected, i deleted all msnmsgr from Processes.

re connected router

msn opens perfectly! thankyou
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 10:00 PM
  • Resetting the router works for me but I have to do it anywhere from once a day to once a week.  MSNMSGR.EXE shows in the processes but nothing happens until I reset the router and then the Windows Live Messenger window opens up automatically and all is fine for awhile.
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 2:20 AM
  • I am also having this same problem as of a few days ago.
    Windows Live Messenger doesn't show under 'Applications' in Task Manager, but does show under 'Processes'.
    I've never had this problem before, am unsure if it may have something to do with a webcam?
    Recieved a Microsoft LifeCam as a gift, installed it and that's when the problem began.
    Messenger and LifeCam were running fine at first, logged off of my computer account then tried to go back on later and neither the webcam program itself, or messenger would open.
    Tried to see if it was the router and reset it but that did nothing, had a power outage today that fixed msn and it was working fine but now it refuses to open again.
    Monday, December 29, 2008 5:30 AM
  • Alright, not sure if its in here already but, for everyone that sees it in the Processes toolbar, (msnmsgr.exe) simply end the process, all of them if there are multiple, this solved my problem really quickly, though i have no clue what caused it. 
    Friday, January 02, 2009 8:25 PM
  • hmm i tried liek everything here

nothigns worked it dosent even open just says like problem occured an windows will say when it comes up with a solution :/ 

man this is frustrating 
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 12:06 AM
  • Hi all
    I use a D-Link router and have found that resetting does not solve the problem.
    What I have found that is those of you that connect to the internet via the router (i.e. the router automatically connects to the net, then you connect to the router) ought to look at your internet connection settings. As you all know, you connect to the router via 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 etc... then go into your internet connections settings menu. Click on set up connection manually. Those of you who are automatically connected will likely just see the options of your current connection, if not, just fill in the blanks.
    In there, there should be something called MTU (maximum transmission unit).
    Normally by default, this is set too high. Set it to 1000 and all should go well from there (should help you d-link users who reset every couple of days or so). That's what I did, see what happens and good luck. 
    I know this doesn't have anything to do with messenger not opening, but those who can't connect to the live!messenger client may find this helpful...
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 1:36 AM
  • Thanks very much everyone, it is working for me now - I dont know who specifically to thank cos I dont know what worked.

For those of you still trying, heres what worked for me:

I have a D-Link DSL G604T. Downloaded and tried to start it, didnt work so I selected 'run in XPSP2 compatibility mode' in the properties of messenger, and 'run as administrator'. Those didnt work, and I found all the processes - could delete all of them except the largest (5.7ishMB).

Found this forum, tried disabling UPnP and restarting the router, first by factory reset, then by unplugging, then finally by the router settings in the webpage. None of that worked.

Then changed WAN MTU setting to 1000 and rebooted, didnt work.

Then unplugged router, and disabled built in laptop webcam, and restarted router and computer - msn popped up automatically when windows started.

Thanks!
    Sunday, March 01, 2009 6:51 AM
  • I have no idea what has happened. Windows Live Messenger i.e (msn) cannot open at all. i have 2 shortcuts to it and still nothing. I haven't got the the msn on the desktop page on the right hand side, bottom corner. If i could get that it back on there again somehow, i think i would be alright. if you could help me with this problem, it would be greatly appreciated thankyou.
    Wednesday, March 04, 2009 7:21 AM
  • I'm actually having this Problem, but before I did, messenger would crash and suggest I download patchou or something similar. Could it be that Patchou* won't let msnmsgr.exe run at all?

I have a request though, if anyone that has they're Messenger working, could make a copy of their folder and pass it to me by Email I'd be very Grateful, Just to see if there's anything I might be missing in my folder, Something that might have been deleted when I downloaded "Patchou"
    Oh Just to add to this... Please Help.
    Sunday, March 08, 2009 5:16 PM
  • I'd be happy to, but 1) What version are/were you using? and 2) couldn't you just download a new installation file off of the net?

I'm using Version 2008 (build 8.5.1302.1018)  - just so you know.

-Feisar

Monday, March 09, 2009 2:25 AM
  • Pagnipickle, do you think you could give us a bit more information about your system i.e. Operating system, version of msn, how you connect to the net. I can't honestly think of anything else today, but it'll give us something too work off of... Might be able to derive a solution from there... The only other suggestion i can give is that you have a fresh install of msn... It may get rid of the problem...

regards, Feisar.

EDIT::
    Found this for ya, see if it helps... 
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/93316-45-windows-messenger-start
    Monday, March 09, 2009 3:00 AM
  • Feisar said:

Pagnipickle, do you think you could give us a bit more information about your system i.e. Operating system, version of msn, how you connect to the net. I can't honestly think of anything else today, but it'll give us something too work off of... Might be able to derive a solution from there... The only other suggestion i can give is that you have a fresh install of msn... It may get rid of the problem...

regards, Feisar.

EDIT::
    Found this for ya, see if it helps... 
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/93316-45-windows-messenger-start

It might've worked for someone else, but unless I did something wrong it didn't work.
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 1:52 AM
  • Hmmm, K
    That's  a shame. Would've been nice if all you needed was a registry fix...
    Did you still want a zip file of all the contents in the windows live messenger folder?

Thursday, March 12, 2009 1:55 AM
  • I recently experienced this problem, where no matter what route I took the live messenger program wouldn't open. I went through the windows live site, found the 'get latest version of live messenger' and ran that program.
    I didn't bother to uninstall messenger, rather let this program 'update' the version I had, even though it was the latest version already. This, once complete, automatically began the messenger program for me, with the icon appearing in the bottom right to show that it was running.
    Hope this helps anyone else who has been having the problem!
    Friday, March 13, 2009 3:10 AM
  • I have problem always with my windows live messenger.It opens for a while ,but after I close or turn off my pc and then turn it on again it won't response. until now it won't open. I don.t know what's the problem.Im finding it hard to deal.I tried lots of ways to start it but to no avail.Very frustrating.I need your help please.thank you. Josie
    Saturday, March 28, 2009 12:19 AM
  • Well there are only two things I can suggest... open up task manager when you first log in (ctrl+alt+del in XP; ctrl+shift+esc for vista) close the current msn messenger process (msnmsgr.exe) under the processes tab, then try and start messenger again...
    All else fails, a complete reinstall of MSN messnger may need to be carried out...
    Saturday, March 28, 2009 12:27 AM
  • did you find out how to fix it ? I'm desperate for a solution.
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 12:24 AM
  • I have v14.0.8064.206 on Win7 RC, and it decided not to run one day out of the blue.

The process wasn't stuck in memory (so nothing to kill), rebooting didn't help, running a repair install didn't help.

What did help: Backing up the below key and deleting it, followed by reinstalling with Windows Live setup (no need to uninstall first). There isn't an installer for just Messenger. Note: I don't know if deleting the key is necessary.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/B/7/EB7AAFE7-514F-495A-A981-99830FE8E99E/en/wlsetup-custom.exe

Wednesday, June 17, 2009 8:32 PM

• > Guys, 
    > I also had the same problem with MSN Live Messenger hanging during the login in process, this what I did to fix the problem.... 

> 1. hit "run" in the start menu 
    > 2. type "regedit" 
    > 3. Open "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger" 
    > 4. Delete the folder called MSN Messenger 
    > 5. After this MSN Messenger Live will login as normal. 
    > hope it works for you.
    Sunday, June 21, 2009 1:18 AM
  • Thanks, rseiler.  Your solution worked for me after trying all the others (reinstalling Messenger, resetting router).

Simon
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 2:33 PM
  • I also have the same problem. These msg was shown after i click on the WLM icon : 'Windows live messenger has stopped working.
    A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available"

And these msg was also shown:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: msnmsgr.exe
    Application Version: 14.0.8064.206
    Application Timestamp: 498cf586
    Fault Module Name: WLDCore.dll
    Fault Module Version: 14.0.8064.206
    Fault Module Timestamp: 498cf56c
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 00002ee5 OS
    Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 17417

Files that help describe the problem

Version.txt

AppCompat.txt
    memory.hdmp
    minidump.mdmp

I'm frustrated with WLM, does anyone know how to solve this?

Friday, August 21, 2009 5:23 AM
  • I'm having the same problem too. After i download and use the latest 2009 version for awhile,the live messenger program wont open. So i uninstall it and install back version 8.1, and everything goes back to normal now.
    Friday, August 21, 2009 5:43 AM
  •  

I can't seem to get windows live messenger to open. Everything was working as usual until it randomly stopped responded and I was forced to end task. After ending task it will no longer open at all, i click on the icon and nothing happens, it isn't running in the task list either. I've uninstalled and reinstalled many times, nothing seems to comes up. Internet is working fine, firewalls are turned off, it just doesn't seem to ever open the program to allow me to sign in.

Monday, November 16, 2009 4:07 PM
  • AFTER installing the updates, i keep clicking my messenger icon in the desktop and no reaction whatsoever. or worst it  turn just white folder. I fixed mine by clicking:

1.window tile
    2.Computer
    3.Local Disk Drives( C:)
    4.pRogram Files
    5.Windows Live
    6.Messenger
    7. look for msnmsgr ( application ) in new icon( 2 human figures and a colored ~)  Right clik   Send to desktop.
    8.Delete the old icon which is unclickable.

This worked for me, hope it helps.
    Friday, December 11, 2009 4:44 PM
  • Same here, all of a sudden after starting my computer again, the Live Messenger Icon did show but could not get it to pop-up, or to log in. Re-installed: nothing. Reset router: nothing. Renamed registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger : WORKS.

And I also found out the reason; I use a Hotmail account for Messenger, somehow my password at Hotmail was changed (account hacked??), so I changed my password, filled the password in Messenger (after renaming the registry key) and it works again.

So the basic problem was a changed password of the Messenger account.

Thursday, May 06, 2010 7:00 AM
  • thank you, thank you, thank you!

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 12:30 AM
  • Messenger stopped responding on me & shut down. I tried restarting to no avail. I uninstalled, re-installed & tried again. No luck. I opened this site & read the replies. Tried resetting router. NOTHING. I then found this key:

exported it to my desktop, then deleted the key & all subkeys. I tried opening Messenger Live again before re-installing.

BAM, there it was Messenger is now working again. Thank-you everyone for the replies. Hope this helps others....

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 6:59 PM
  • Well I tried the resetting of the router and that didn't work, so I went into regedit and removed both of the above keys.  All that I have to say is that MSN is working perfectly now as though nothing ever happened! Thank you so much for the help!!! :)
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 4:35 PM
  • Well I tried the resetting of the router and that didn't work, so I went into regedit and removed both of the above keys.  All that I have to say is that MSN is working perfectly now as though nothing ever happened! Thank you so much for the help!!! :)

well i tried that but i still seems to have the problem...i delete the keys and it opens but as soon as i close it or restart it again...gets the same problem..the error i am getting is weird because i was using WLM this morning and it was gud jus suddenly i restarted my pc for some reason and then i opened WLM but i started getting this error "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

ny1 cud help and it will b very great full...thanQ nywys...

Friday, July 30, 2010 2:46 AM
  • i cnt sign into windows live mesgr either n its annoyin it kps givin code 81000306 n showin host n proxy server queries....help.gettin annoyd as workin fine no probs n suddenly stoppd.
    Friday, July 30, 2010 3:36 PM
  • Hi, try deleting this two keys:

Then run msn it should work now.
    I haven't had the oportunity to test if deleting just one of these solve the problem.
    Export those chain reg to have a backup, just in case.

My msn crash when i accept to watch webcam or when someone send a voice record Tongue Tied  my system is ok, i never had problems with early versions.
    Well i use msn rare times so i didn't test more =P

Thanks Guruclef!

Deleting:

worked for me!

I didn't have the key:

Much appreciated!

Friday, July 30, 2010 8:00 PM
  • Deleting the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger worked for me too.

Thanks

Wednesday, August 04, 2010 4:26 AM
  • I have tried it all, everything u mention this far... Still nothing, i've been trying to sort this out for 3 hours now, getting a bit mad...
    Wednesday, September 29, 2010 3:55 PM
  • I LOVE YOU!!!!   This was exactly my problem thank you soooooo much!  I could not figure it out to save my life!
    Tuesday, November 09, 2010 4:18 AM
  • hOW DO YOU DELETE THE HKEYS, PLEASEEE HELP ME!?
    Monday, December 20, 2010 9:44 PM
  • Did you ever find a solution to this problem? As I am having the exact same problem, its very annoying! :( 
    Friday, December 31, 2010 9:28 PM
  • I had the same problem, so i left clicked and clicked safe run and its fine now!

Saturday, January 22, 2011 6:54 PM
  • This solution helped me.

What i did was i right click the the msn icon (msnmsgr.exe - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Messenger), click properties, click on compatibility tab and put msn to be copatible with windows vista (on install it was copatible with win xp sp3). Run live messenger and everything worked fine.

Saturday, March 05, 2011 10:21 AM
  • worked for me, and i tried everything before i found yer note,  u tops in my book !
    Sunday, April 24, 2011 6:13 PM
  • Thanks a ton! I've been stewing over this problem for a while and this worked in seconds. Thanks again!!
    Tuesday, July 05, 2011 1:01 AM