Measure Distance Tool

Question

• I need to have a tool for my VE map that allows the user to measure distance. I was wondering if VE has this built in, in version 4 and if not will they have it in version 5?

If VE doesn't have that functionality has anyone built a measuring tool? I'm just trying not to re-invent the wheel and make my life a little easier.

If no one has one then I'll just make my own. Thanks.

-Dan

Thursday, April 05, 2007 4:53 PM

Answers

• I haven't seen one, if you build it make sure you use a proper algorithm that takes into account the curvature of the earth - i highly recommend this site:

http://www.movable-type.co.uk/scripts/LatLong.html

We won't really know until the offical release and the documentation but I suspect we will have better events for drawing and working with shapes but unlikely to get the measuring functionlaity, i maybe wrong. The new version is only a week or two away so if you have other priorities I would wait or else make something quite basic that does the job for now and wait for the new events to do a nicer tool.

It would be great if you do it to share it back to the other VE developers, the benifits are we may be able to help improve it or keep it upto date as new versions or features are released, ViaVirtualEarth has some reasources like the wiki where you code put the code and articles if you want to turn it into a story. It is good exposure for your company also.

John.

Thursday, April 05, 2007 11:55 PM