Windows Live Mail Password Problems

Question

•  

I use Windows Live Mail Version 2008. When I click the quick launch icon I am prompted for my email address and password. I do not have the "Remember My Password" box checked. If I click cancel without entering my password it will still launch the program. Furthermore, if I click the send/receive button my email account will update. I am concerned because anyone can access my accounting without knowing my password.

Now if I attempt the wrong password it will not launch the program. But if I click cancel, again the program launches.

Is this a known security issue or do I has my program become corrupt?

Friday, August 01, 2008 1:49 AM

All replies

•  

Hi cbalogh!

I was searching online for the exact same problem and haven't found a solution yet.  Just wanted to let you know that you're not suffering from this alone!

If I figure it out, I will definitly let you know!

Good luck Wink

Wednesday, August 06, 2008 3:03 PM
  •  

Hello again, cbalogh

Apparently, Windows Live Mail (WLM) is an email client (ie. Microsoft Outlook) - I guess email client means it helps organise, appear to process quicker, and to be user friendlier than web based emails (ie. the old way of doing hotmail); someone can correct me if I'm wrong...

Anyway, all email clients download all incoming emails and stores them as files on your computer.  Whether or not you log in using your password, it will still run the program to process all your emails. 

Having said that, the "logging in" to WLM is merely to connect you to other Windows Live services (ie. Messenger).  For example, if you login with your password, you can connect via MSN without having to re-login with a password.

I hope I haven't lost you.  To help explain... try running WLM, and cancel it to let it load itself. Now, have a look on the top right corner - you will see "Windows Live sign-in".  If you click on it and actually log in with your password, you can now access your MSN without having to re-enter your password again.

Now, if you try it the other way around, run WLM and log in with your password, you can go to the top right corner and run MSN, bypassing the login again.

I have debated with myself about this issue for a couple minutes (lolz), and to me it seems very unsecure and an illogical way of doing things.  But I must admit, it is much more user friendly!

If this is a security issue for you, I can only suggest un-installing WLM, and continue using their web-based email.

I hope this information has helped!

Regards,

Wednesday, August 06, 2008 3:42 PM
  • I too understand all that, but it would be much better to actually use your password to PROTECT your email?  I mean if I have an email in my inbox possibly about an xmas present from Ebay for my girlfriend, or just personal mail that I dont want people to see, they can just go look at it by just clicking cancel? this seems very unsecure. I love Live mail, but Im thinking of getting rid simply for this reason. Its just plain silly..
    Thursday, September 18, 2008 4:14 PM
  • It does seem silly, but please remember that it was not their intent to use that password to protect your mail.

And yes, if you are concerned about privacy, then I would suggest that you discontinue using Live Mail, and revert back to the old web-based system.

I hoped that bit of information helped!

Regards,

Thursday, September 18, 2008 4:19 PM
  • There is a way to secure your mail, at least from downloading from the server.
    Go to menu / accounts andd select your account and click properties. In the tab Server remove your password and uncheck remember my password.

This way every time you Live Mail will attemt to synchronize mail with the servr it would ask for password. At least new incomming mails could be protected this way.

regards,
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 3:03 AM
  • This is stupid,  If you put in a wrong password you can't get in but if you cancel you get in without a password.  I fail to see the logic in this.  What were they thinking?  Why doesn't MS see this asinine obvious problem? 
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 2:32 AM
  • I agree. Really stupid. An IT guy took a ghost image of my PC at work, and it was only after that I realized that you can cancel through Live Mail and still get to your email. Now, he has access to all the email that was downloaded to my PC. I uninstalled Live Mail immediately after that.

Thursday, December 24, 2009 3:48 PM
  • hi there, thanks for the post. but where is this "menu" icon, i cant find it anywhere, could you please explain with a little more detail? thanks, id be eternally grateful.

regards
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 11:24 AM
  • I have the same problem with my password for my email.  Now I use Verizon and my passwords for their website and I can get my email by doing the web based thing but when I go to my windows live email and type in my correct it won't let me get my email.  I went to Verizon and they said it is Microsoft and I went to Staples to have it checked out and they said it is Verizon.  Staples even tried to load ThunderBird and it stops at the password.  What in the world is going on.
    Sunday, October 03, 2010 9:51 PM
  • See this from WLM Help:

You can access e-mail from multiple e-mail accounts, but Windows Live Mail isn't meant to be used by multiple users on a single Microsoft Windows account. Signing out of Windows Live Mail doesn't prevent other people from accessing your e-mail on the current Microsoft Windows account. Anyone who opens Windows Live Mail in a particular Windows account can see all of the e-mail accounts that have been added to Windows Live Mail, not just their own e-mail account, without entering a password.

You can't create Microsoft Outlook Express e-mail identities (A method used in Outlook Express that allows multiple people sharing the same computer to keep their e-mail separate. Identities aren't used in Windows Live Mail.) in Windows Live Mail. Instead, to protect each user's e-mail with a password, create a separate Windows user account and password for each person who wants to use Windows Live Mail on the computer. Each user will then be able to log on only to their own Windows account and access only their own Windows Live Mail e-mail accounts.

Wednesday, February 09, 2011 1:57 AM
  • Well I thought I was loosing it Until I read the comments in this thread.  I am having all sorts of password problems among several programs used with my Windows 7 OS. I have a home LAN network with 2 computers, a network printer and a WD My Book World mass storage devise.  Passwords involved in this setup are.  This all was forced on me when Microsoft removed Windows live mall as an intrgrated mail program with Windows 7.  One of the updates apparently removed the mail progranm from my OS.  Passwords involved in this setup are.

1.  Each user set up in the two computers and the storage devise on my LAN

2.  The router for the network

3.  Accesss to various "Drives" (called shares)  on my network storage harddrive

4.  Windows live mail

5. A "Special" Workgoup in Windows 7 called a Homegroup

6. Different accounts using Windows live mail.

There are others but there intended use is more clear.  In setting up my system I inadvertantly used the same passwork in some user accounts and mai accounts.  My Questions:

1. Should I be using the same password between/among any of these accounts?  Seems  as if it would compromise my security.

2.  The Windows Live mail account is one of the most confusing.It's not clear if I should be using the same or different Passwords aomng Window 7 users and the router/LAN system,

Saturday, May 21, 2011 11:05 PM
  • I find the excuse of microsoft very stupid. Let's think in real life sometimes I need to give my pc to someone for e few minutes. So for a few minutes I don't want to make a new user I just hand in my pc. But what I can do is shut down WLM and prevent the person reading my e-mails. Now I can't! I reinstalled the old version because of this issue. Maybe I will switch to mozilla firebird.
    Saturday, June 25, 2011 8:06 AM
  • Windows Live Mail is the worst ever. I think they want us to just use Hotmail? I wish I could have my Outlook Express back. Live Mail is always asking me to sign in and talk about boring.... So freaking boring with it's white  and pastel colors..Yuck! I hate it. I am going to Thunderbird, when I can figure out how. Had it once; computer crashed.

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 7:55 AM
  • This forum is for helping visitors to write Windows Live-aware apps/services (e.g. WordPress, Sina Weibo and a lot of Windows phone apps). For apps not written by yourself, you need to send your comments to the corresponding feedback channel. People who come here generally do not work for Microsoft and cannot legally publish software in Microsoft's name. 

The forums for Microsoft's Windows Live apps are on windowslivehelp.com.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Wednesday, August 03, 2011 7:45 PM