Can't install Windows Live Messenger 8.1

Question

• Hi guys,

I can't install Windows Live Messenger 8.1 on my computer, manually, or automatically when ask to upgrade to 8.1 by version 8.0.

I have followed the procedure posted here by Francis, the Windows Live Messenger technician.

The progress bar of the Windows Live Messenger Set Up Wizard window stopped to advance at approximately 80 %

of its progession and stuck there foreever. No messages or no error messages is displayed for the user attention.

My computer do not freeze. I'm still able to use other functionality or programs while the window is still there.

What is the frequency of the problem?
    Recurrent

Where are you trying to connect from?
    Home

Which Version of Messenger are you running?

Was running Windows Live Messenger 8.0
    Try to install Windows Live Messenger 8.1

If you have a firewall, which one?
    Windows XP Internet Connection Firewall

Who is Your ISP?
    Videotron, Canada

What type of internet connection do you have?  [Type of Internet connection:]
    Cable

Where did you get Messenger?  [Where did you get Messenger?]
    Download from Microsoft

https://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=D78F2FF1-79EA-4066-8BA0-DDBED94864FC&displaylang=en

I'm using Windows XP Media Center Edition SP2 english version

All updates are done through Windows Update

Microsoft .Net Framework 1.1 and Hotfix are installed.

Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0 is installed

I was running Windows Live Messenger 8.0 for almost more than one year from now without

experiencing any problems so far. But since Microsoft forced us to upgrade to Windows Live Messenger

8.1, problems occurred. I can't install this version on my computer. I have tried more than one time without

any success ...

Please help me !

Saturday, September 15, 2007 2:39 PM

All replies

• I'm having the same problem!

Sunday, September 16, 2007 4:46 AM
  • I have the same problem except that im going form messenger 7.5 to 8

Anybody help?

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 12:21 PM
  •  

I can't install 8.1 on my new comp!!! It freezes in the installation and the bar doesn't move!!

Help me?

Saturday, September 22, 2007 9:14 AM
  • Same problem for me. Freezes during install. Help !
    Monday, September 24, 2007 12:21 PM
  • I have been experiencing exactly the same problem for some time now. I am running Windows xp Pro, using a University network to connect.
    Tuesday, September 25, 2007 8:57 AM
  • I have the same problem also. I am using XP home edition.

Any updates from the technicians? Smile

Saturday, September 29, 2007 5:47 PM
  • There's still no reply from the technicians. I and many others have the same problem. Help !
    Monday, October 01, 2007 3:27 AM
  • Guys,

Sorry for the delay! 

In my case, I have restarted my computer after 10 minutes of freezing ... and Windows Live Messenger 8.1

was installed and was working well ... and it is still working as I am writing to you now!

I hope this might help you ...

Xtianx

Thursday, October 04, 2007 1:08 AM
  •  

My case is the same as Xtian's.  Although WLM 8.1 is working well, in fact, the installation status is 'stopped' and 'incompleted'.  We can use WLM8.1 but it is short-term as long as you have no new installation to come.

If you have another new installation in the future, the installer will notice you about the status of WLM8.1 and ask you to fallback the WLM8.1 installation before you can proceed to the new installation.

Then it will be troublesome to install WLM 8.1 again, freeze again, restart PC again and setup WLM8.1 again.

wm2yeung..

• Proposed as answer by siouxweld Monday, March 14, 2011 12:58 PM
    Thursday, October 04, 2007 9:34 AM
  • have any of you found a resolution to this problem? if so, can you please share it with me?

i'm still having the same problem - the setup wizard stalls, just as previously described.

ANY help is much appreciated!
    Tuesday, October 09, 2007 2:28 AM
  • Same problem on my machine too...

any solution??
    Friday, November 02, 2007 5:10 PM
  • I can't install any of the Windows Live programs. I get an error just everyone else
    Tuesday, December 18, 2007 1:18 PM
  • Anyone ever solve this? Having the same issue...

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 1:59 PM
  • I managed to get mine working by copying the MSN Messenger folder from a PC on which it did work, and used these files to replace the ones on the problem system. This did create a couple of issues at first, however these were easily sorted. I cannot be specific on this point as it was a while ago when I did it.
    Tuesday, February 12, 2008 3:37 PM
  •  

Ok, so you basically just slapped the Program Files\MSN Messenger directory from one PC to another?

This issue is a tricky one for me. When 8.1.0178.00 came out, I was forced to upgrade to it. This was 1 year+ ago, but I believe the installer crashed at this point. Somehow, I managed to play with files so that Messenger would still be available even though the install had crashed. Everything was going smoothly even though I know the installer didn't technically complete.

About the beginning of this month, I start experiencing a vast amount of crashes with Messenger. So I thought I would just un-install and re-install. Tried to upgrade to 8.5, installer stops at 99%. Tried to re-install 8.1.0178.00, installer stops at 85%.

I've been back and forth with Microsoft about 4 times on the issue. Re-installed, over and over. Removed reg keys, removed temp dirs and cache. Updated my Flash, updated my .net framework.

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 3:58 PM
  •  mmmrob wrote:

Ok, so you basically just slapped the Program Files\MSN Messenger directory from one PC to another?

That's pretty much it.
    Tuesday, February 12, 2008 4:00 PM
  • Hi all,

What I have done is to reinstall my Window XP Home Edition using the Sony recovery disk (I am using Sony Notebook).  Then WLM installation completed normally.  So it may be about the crash of Windows processes.

Cheers,

wm2yeung

Monday, March 10, 2008 12:39 AM
  • One more thing:  Please note that the latest version of WLM is 8.5.

Monday, March 10, 2008 12:46 AM
  • I  am running  XP  Home  Edition with  Window Live Messenger,  Version 8.5 and  keep  getting  popup  for new  version.  When  I   installed  (after  clicking  on  popup)   a  whole  different  look  to  messenger  was  there  but   every  time  I  tried  to  send  a  messege  it   shut  down.  I  tried  to install  3  times,  then  uninstalled  from  Add  Remove  programs. There   was  Windows Messenger 7 in  there  that  I could not  uninstall. That's  when I  ran  into  big  trouble. I  couldn't  get  any  messenger to  run  after  that.  I  ended  up  doing  a  sys  restore and  my  WL 8.5 is  up  and  running. It  still  closes  down  OFTEN but   I have  messenger again. 
    Soooooooooooo?  If 8.5  is  the  latest  version ,  what  is  this  update   notice for I  keep  getting  everytime I  open  messenger????  Whatever  it  is   really  messes  things  up.
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 3:12 PM
  • hey thanks a lot for the tip but idk if im the only one who thinks this is utterly unreasonable, you're basically saying you had to like -reinstall your operating system just to be able to chat? what's microsoft even DOING here man this is terrible..... I mean, don't you think they should be making this a bit..... easier?
    cheers
    Saturday, December 26, 2009 1:32 PM