OneDrive Developer Center (redirect)

Looking for the Live SDK?

OneDrive logo

The Live SDK 5.6 is now available

Find it on the OneDrive Dev Center, the new place to find samples, documentation, and other resources for integrating OneDrive into your app.
Choose your download

If you're using previous versions of the Live SDK, the Live SDK 5.5 reference is still available.

Windows Live One Care Safety Scanner

Question

•  

Hello,

There is a problem with the Windows Live One Care Safety Center.

There is a loop consisting in :

1. http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/whatsnew.htm
    2. Click 'Full Service Scan' button
    3. Click 'Install Now' button (modem lights flash)
    4. Elevation Prompt
    5. Click 'Launch Scanner' button
    6. Back again to 'Install Now' button.

A lot of people can't get the scanner run.

How to fix that?

Are you aware of that?

The problem has been reported since 2 weeks.

Thanks for replying.

Ben

Saturday, October 13, 2007 9:47 PM

All replies

•  

It is a pity that nobody from the Windows Live OneCare Safety Scanner Team reads our post regarding this huge problem with WLOC Scanner and they seem not to care about it..

Ben

Monday, October 15, 2007 8:30 PM
  • I have exactly the same problem and it's extremely frustrating.

• Proposed as answer by SEA SHELL Sunday, May 15, 2011 10:59 PM
    Saturday, October 20, 2007 11:53 AM
  •  

I have the same problem, tried the scanner with a fresh install of Windows Vista 32-bit but the problem is still there. Sad
    • Proposed as answer by SEA SHELL Sunday, May 15, 2011 11:37 PM
    Sunday, October 21, 2007 12:45 PM
  • Hi,

I'm in touch with someone in charge of the Windows Live OneCare Safety Center at Microsoft - Redmond.

He was not aware of the issue.

He aked to send him a few screen shows describing the trouble I am facing with, I followed step by step his recommandations to troubeshoot this problem, but I can't fix the issue.

There is a corrupted ActiveX that can't be deleted and the OneCare Safety Center is out of date.

I tried on the pc of my cousin who never installed WLOC Safety Center before and there is also a loop, impossible to launch the scanner.

The problem seems to be affected the users in Europe, but not statesite. A lot of Dutch, French and Bristish users can't use the WLOC Safety Center.

I do think that Microsoft will look into this matter deeply, as a lot of users can't use the Scanner anymore and it's been lasting for two weeks now...

Let's wait and see.

Ben

Sunday, October 21, 2007 3:03 PM
  • How will Microsoft let us know when they fix it?

I have been trying for weeks to get it to work and have found many forums that say there is the problem but there does not seem a way to contact Microsoft to report it

If your friend gets a solution even if it a beta one please let us know

Monday, October 22, 2007 2:55 PM
  • Hi,

There is indeed a huge probem with the Windows Live OneCare Safety Center.

The ActiveX is damaged and the build is out of date. It's been lasting for 2 weeks.

I'm in touch with someone from the Windows Live OneCare Safety Center Team.

He wasn't aware of this issue.

I sent him a faw screen shots describing the issue ( ActiveX Corrupted / old build...) This issue seems to be affecting only the European users.

I tried this week-end in Paris on my cousins' laptop, he has never installled the Safety Scanner, I installed it but there was also a loop, so the problem seems to affect everybody in Europe trying to use the Scanner for Vista....

He asked me to do many things to troubleshoot the " can't launch the Scanner " issue, but there is still a loop.

I will know more about it at the end of week.

I will let you know the steps to follow to fix this issue.

Ben

Monday, October 22, 2007 3:44 PM
  • Just a Thought, maybe you could ask your contact to get the Beta Scan page for Vista Updated to say sorry

The page does not work currently expected fix date dd / mm / yyyy

thsi would save everyone who has Vista spending time following the web pages and solutions from other sources saying go to tools IE addons remove scanner etc.

Also it would benefit Microsoft to appear more caring for the Vista users

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 2:26 PM
  •  

Same stuff here.

Vista, Europe.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 3:29 PM
  • Hi, have just tested on my Son's Vista premium and it works today?

He had never installed it before so maybe the corruption is fixed, But maybe we need to remove something and re-install

maybe someone who has the problem could re-test as I am not at home to test myself

ken

========================================================

At home and my PC had two problems One care would not update !

solution as per the frorums uninstal and re-instal onecare

second is that safety scaner starts then has a error 0x0C600C03

WHAT is this?

saying look at forums for help does not help

Ken

• Proposed as answer by HillmanV Wednesday, May 05, 2010 12:57 PM
    Saturday, October 27, 2007 11:45 AM
  • At last! It seems to be working tonight.

Saturday, October 27, 2007 9:11 PM
  •  

Hi,

Indeed, the WLOC Scanner Safety seems to work again.

The issue seems to be fixed.

It is a pity that Microsoft didn't give explanations regarding the trouble that plenty of users had with their Scanner.

No communication....

Ben

Sunday, October 28, 2007 11:20 AM
  • For me it almosts works but shows a problem that has been present for a long time

it now brings up the Popup says initialising then says it has problem 0X0C600C03

I have tried the complete removal by both methods to delete the base module

in the windows I had a safety scanner and when I removed from Control panel

I noticed the name was safety scannertesttesttest?

anyway under downloaded programs it shows {3860DD98-0549-4D50-AA72-5D17D200EE10]

properties are shown as damaged and version 1.6.4009.1 downloaded on 15/10/2007

I have also tried using English(UK) as well as (US) all to no avail

I have also tried the CCLEANER which is also mentioned and clear histories in IE

My Pc is Vista premium and IE7

When I first started with Vista it did work but seemed to go downhill after they changed the URL for it

I have made *.live.com a trusted site as well

any suggestions would be appreciated 

Monday, October 29, 2007 10:11 AM
  •  

Hi Kenny,

For my part, The Windows Live OneCare Safety Scanner does work after being unable to run it.

Maybe, you could uninstall the Windows Live OneCare Safety Scanner in the Add/Remove, delete all the files related to WLOC Safety Scanner in your HD, delete the ActiveX in the registry, get the Clean Up tool run, run CCcleaner, reboot your pc and go to www.onecare.live.com and Have a try to see if the issue is fixed.

Good luck,

Ben

Monday, October 29, 2007 11:56 AM
  • Hi

I have done everything apart from trying to delete the activex in the registry

I was going to look for the {3860dd98...EE10} entry )after saving the registry and taking a restore point

and try to delete it.

If I remember the first time you run it it downloads 8-10 modules for the scanner.

I was attempting to force that re-load but could not find confirmation if that took place.

.. ken

Monday, October 29, 2007 12:53 PM
  •  kenny825507 wrote:

Hi

I have done everything apart from trying to delete the activex in the registry

I was going to look for the {3860dd98...EE10} entry )after saving the registry and taking a restore point

and try to delete it.

If I remember the first time you run it it downloads 8-10 modules for the scanner.

I was attempting to force that re-load but could not find confirmation if that took place.

.. ken

well tried regedit and found 2 entries 3860dd98...ee10

removed both , re-booted, Install again, got eula,active x etc

in download programs it shows

damaged activex still but as windows safety scanner, when I remove it go's back to the 3860dd98 entry again!!!!

how can I get rid of it and force a new Install of the active X

Monday, October 29, 2007 4:20 PM
  • Solution Found for the problem 0x0C600C03

After I noticed that the program was shown in control panel as safety scanner testtesttest

I removed but it does not dissapear but does with a refresh!

So i ran the Microsoft Installer clean-up and that showed it still present click and it is gone

I also noticed that in my user/Downloads the files for Liveonecare safety scanner were present still!

So I deleted them and now when I click the scanner it downloads the modules

currently is running the Virus scan so looks good
    • Proposed as answer by hfky Saturday, May 08, 2010 1:23 PM
    Wednesday, October 31, 2007 12:02 PM
  • A small problem I have with the safety scanner after it started working

when it gets to the Performance and Registry clean section it says

Found 29 registry Items,

0 cleaned,

29 errors,

0 skipped by user

I have run it again (after 2 hour wait to scan for Virus's again!!!)

and it still the same  I have uploaded results to Microsoft

Can I see what they are by some means? as Registry mechanic used to tell you what they were and you could manage them yourselves.

has anyone asked for the Vista scanner to be made the same as XP so you can run selctive tests rather than all of them?

• Proposed as answer by digital tribe Friday, August 20, 2010 5:06 PM
    Sunday, November 11, 2007 5:11 PM
  • Its great to see the community helping each other out. but you might also try moving the discussion over to the Windows Live OneCare saftey scanner community site. It has links to the official support forum for the safety scanner as well as the common issues database.

http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/community/default.htm

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 4:11 AM
  • hello , i system restored my computer . now everytime i download and install the "windows onecare safety scanner" , when i run a full scan and it shows what it found and it gives me the option to "disk clean , and disk defragment " when i check them and push o.k i get a " out of memory at line : 178 " error message . you said you talked to microsoft before and don't have that kind of money to give them on the phone . can you help me fix this ? thanks !!!

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 12:21 PM
  •  BENBXL wrote:

Hello,

There is a problem with the Windows Live One Care Safety Center.

There is a loop consisting in :

1. http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/whatsnew.htm
    2. Click 'Full Service Scan' button
    3. Click 'Install Now' button (modem lights flash)
    4. Elevation Prompt
    5. Click 'Launch Scanner' button
    6. Back again to 'Install Now' button.

A lot of people can't get the scanner run.

How to fix that?

Are you aware of that?

The problem has been reported since 2 weeks.

Thanks for replying.

Ben

Saturday, February 23, 2008 2:23 AM
  • Hi,

Why this copy/paste??

Ben

Saturday, February 23, 2008 8:25 AM
  • I have tested several online scanners & this has to be the WORST experiance!

Microsoft cant get it to install on their own os & work.. lol nice!

Makes me wonder how effective the antivirus would be & all the other filescanners aswell. I wont be suprised if the system dies cuz of viris even after the installation ! !

The funny bit is " What's new in OneCare: OneCare helps keep your PC safe and secure while making your life easier. From virus scanning, file backups, to automatic printing sharing of all the PCs in your household, OneCare helps manage it all for you. And it's delivered to you in a smooth, hassle-free package." ... yea right!

This is as misleading as microsoft advertises their 2way firewall in vista, which has outbound filtering turned off by default, and configring tht and making things work is not the job of a layman or 95% of tht ppl who use PC! ! !

Friday, March 21, 2008 5:36 AM
  • I just tried to run the safety scanner, hoping it would shed some light on why my IE "stops working" in the middle of tasks.......Live One gave me the error message "0x08402405".....and said I should refer to it on this Forum.........

Please, someone.........HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Friday, March 28, 2008 2:13 PM
  • The forums they are referring to are the Windows Live One Care forums located at http://boards.live.com/safetyboards/forum.aspx?ForumID=13.

If you search there for that error code there are lots of threads.http://boards.live.com/safetyboards/search.aspx?forumid=13&search=0x08402405. Please review those and see if any of them help.

regards,

ben

Friday, March 28, 2008 3:39 PM
  • Restart into safe mode
    Uninstall OneCare (NoCare)
    Install CCleaner to clean unwanted files
    Install Norton AV or NIS 2008 90 day trial from http://www.microsoft.com/protect/viruses/vista/av.mspx
    Start using firefox!! Install plugins and stop using IE, which now is a headache for me to use cuz of its LIMITATIONS !! Even Safari 3.1 for windows is much much better!

Enjoy! Smile
    Friday, March 28, 2008 4:04 PM
  • Same problem was giving me fits.  I uninstalled Safety Scanner, downloaded it again and rebooted.  It worked for awhile then the same error code appeared 0x0c600c03.  Lather, rinse, repeat and now it seems to be working as it should.  I hope this works for you guys as well! 
    Wednesday, March 04, 2009 11:55 AM
  • hi,
    now the date is november 2009 - and still i have the same problem!!!!
    has anyone new info how to solve the 0x0c600c03 problem with the scanner?
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 8:14 AM
  • Hello,

First, make sure you are operating under the administrator account. Next, set the the user account control settings to minimal or no notification. This is located in the CONTROL PANEL > ACTION CENTER in Win 7.

It should work just fine.
    Tuesday, December 01, 2009 9:22 AM
  • Ken, Did you ever find out what's up with error code # 0x0c600c03? I haven't called HP yet but I can't get my laptop out of Safe Mode. I was wondering if it was connected to the error code.  If you can help I'd appreciate it. If not have a great 2010!  Kat101
    Saturday, January 09, 2010 8:02 PM
  • Ken, Sorry I just found your answer. I am somewhat computer illiterate so I will try to figure it out. I also noticed your question and answer were from October. Sorry my mind must be elsewhere. Thanks   Kat101
    Saturday, January 09, 2010 8:14 PM
  • I looked on the Onecare forum and thay say will not ron on 64 bit if this is so then why dont thay say on the Onecare main page over the download button.
    Or sould it be renamed DONTCARE?
    P.G.Baines
    Monday, January 25, 2010 9:48 PM
  • Wish they had that info on the main page...I have an X64 build of Win 7 Home Premium, and that would have saved me some time!
    deaths_little_helper
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 4:30 AM
  • This is my first time on a forum-had no idea that changing from Dell to HP and XP to Windows 7 could be such a painful experience. I have read a number of the comments for the last couple of years and agree the name should be changed to NO CARE! Windows Live sucks, I keep getting kicked off IE, downloaded NO CARE, and when I look for a solution to 0x0C600C03 I see that this problem is inherent and has not been addressed for the last couple of years. I am part of the 95% mentioned-isn't there a simple solution without having to be a member of the Geek squad?

Sunday, February 14, 2010 5:13 AM
  • Hi..
    I have a new computer (Sony Vaio) with windows 7.
    I wanted today to try the scanner and I also get the errorcode 0x0C600C03
    I understand that this problem has been going back to Oct 09 as indicated in this forum?
    Why haven't Microsoft fixed this?
    I've tried the steps they sugest. With the add-ons ect..

My computer is completely new, so it can't be a problem here

Best regards Christina...
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 9:53 AM
  • The most common cause of error code 0x0C600C03 right now is due to the safety scanner not being developed to run under 64 bit operations as discovered by PGB65.  There is no point in complaining about it because MS walked off and doesn't participate in the Windows Live OneCare Safety Scanner forum.  Right now the site is being kept up as a peer-to-peer forum.  We do what we can with what MS left behind.  If there is a system sized error, like what started thread, MS will fix it but day-to-day operations are ignored. 
    I also wish MS would fix the opening page to include the problem with 64 bit as well as the other problem - Not to use the Registry cleanup scan.  We do not recommend running any Registry cleaner because it is un-necessary and can damage your computer.  In fact we are in the middle of a confrontation with the makers of RegCure and MS.  MS has listed RegCure as malware in the MMPC and it is deleted as such.  RegCure - MMPC
    The safety scanner is a good tool but it's interface is difficult to deal with.  For those of us that use it it digs deeper than other scanners.  For those who are 64 bit Ops here is a list of Other Online Scanners #1.
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 3:34 PM
  • It just stalls for me. Seems like it's not meant for x64, as people are saying here and on their forums.
    Thursday, April 01, 2010 7:21 PM
  • Message #38  This is from Wei Wu, one of the scanner team members.  Hopefully this will put the 64 bit issue to rest.  Some people claim to have the scanner running under 64 bit Ops.  But would you trust a Registry cleaner that hasn't any record of upgrade in over three years? 

For the 32 bit people, error 0x0C600C03 has been a problem for years.  We are just discovering causes.   Clearing Browser History has worked.  Running the Windows Disk cleanup at least once can't hurt, the scanner uses the settings from it.   Adobe would mess with permissions during update and cause different errors.  Conflicts with AV programs occur.  The AV programs don't even need to be installed, just need to have been installed and removed.  Removal is incomplete.  Try  AppRemover and check it out.  There is a Safety Scanner Reinstall - page 17, Message 197, skip paragraph #1.  Read and heed all cautions/notes.  This includes several different error fixes.  We are working on the ......0C03 error but it seems to be a catch all.  Assistance is very welcome.

Friday, April 02, 2010 10:37 AM
  • I realize that this is seriously out of date but the record needs to be set straight.  The Windows Live OneCare Safety Scanner Team last made themselves known on 28 Dec, 2006.  Thereafter Microsoft left everyone hanging.  The site is run as peer-to-peer with no intervention from MS, except for system wide problems. 
    Friday, April 02, 2010 3:07 PM
  • it works with windows 7
    Monday, April 05, 2010 10:55 PM
  • You negelect to mention whether 32 or 64 bit OS.

The WLOCSS is supposed to run under Win 7 (32 bit) but not 64 bit.  There are those who claim to have run under 64 bit.  There is one who claims to have a fix for the error code generated using Win 7 (64 bit).  Whether it runs correctly or not remains for Microsoft to certify.  Again, would you trust a Registry cleaner with no recorded upgrades in over three years to run freely through your system?  Run the Registry cleaner (32 or 64 bit) at your own risk.  There has been no word yet on XP (64) or Vista (64).

FYI:  On the General Discussion board of the WLOCSS, there is a path in the top left corner.  Click on Message boards to get to the Vista/Win 7 board.

Wednesday, April 07, 2010 6:37 PM
  • Hi guys,

I'm Irelynn from Ohio,USA. I wanted to say that I've been haveing a problem with the safety scanner & it's been a real frustration. I had no idea of the problem until today when I read your posts. At least I know what the problem is now, thank you.

Friday, April 16, 2010 6:03 PM
  • Hi guys,

I'm Irelynn from Ohio,USA. I too have been having this problem with the Safety scanner.  It's been a real frustration. At least now I know what the problem is. Thank You.

Friday, April 16, 2010 6:07 PM
  • Amen to being in that ninety five percentile.
    Friday, April 16, 2010 6:10 PM
  • I see alot of people who are saying they're having problems are on IE7. I just wanted you to know that IE8 has the same problem & is giving me the same frustrations. Sometimes I wish I'd have MARRIED a member of the geek squad so he could stand behind me & direct me as if I were in grade school.
    Friday, April 16, 2010 6:15 PM
  • Irelynn2,

We at the WLOCSS are fully aware that IE 8 has problems.  There are no solid fixes but I am working on one possible cause.  Unfortunately, it requires help.  I didn't jump on IE 8 so I can't use this because I don't have a problem with the Safety Scanner.  Running the scanner in IE 7 compatability mode may help.  DO NOT run the Registry cleaner.  It isn't needed and can damage your computer.

Go here www.enhanceie.com/ua.aspx and copy your User-Agent String to this site.  It should have some ID info for your computer.  The string is in bold red at the top of the page.  Of the few people who have had troubles with the U-A String only two have answered our request for information and they were well and truely messed up.  The U-A String is part of the "handshake" with a server to allow the server to prepare for the data being sent.  If you would copy/paste your U-A String it might be of help.

Friday, April 16, 2010 11:49 PM
  • i am having the same problem and im dearch the www for fixes and cant seem to find one.. i also contacted microsoft and they cant help me .. does any one out there know off any fixes..???
    Saturday, September 25, 2010 10:47 PM
  • Try this to fix the problems with "windows live safety scanner":

Control panel, uninstall programs, uninstall "windows live safety scanner"(if its installed), reboot, now open up internet explorer "32BIT", now go to the "windows live safety scanner" website and run the program.

NOTE:

Don't worry if you aren't able to uninstall the program. Just follow the directions starting after "reboot".

Windows live safety scanner appears not to work properly with internet explorer 64BIT. It does work with 64BIT computers and operating systems...just not internet explorer 64BIT.

Also, make sure you reset your internet explorer security settings back to default settings, in case they have been changed, and restart internet explorer before going to the live one care scanner tool.

If that doesn't work try the microsoft fixit tool: http://support.microsoft.com/fixit#tab0
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 1:48 AM
  • Try this to fix the problems with windows live safety scanner
    Control panel, uninstall programs, uninstall windows live safety scanner (if its installed), reboot, now open up internet explorer 32BIT, now go to the windows live safety scanner website and run the program.
    NOTE:
    Don't worry if you aren't able to uninstall the program. Just follow the directions starting after reboot
    Windows live safety scanner appears not to work properly with internet explorer 64BIT. It does work with 64BIT computers and operating systems...just not internet explorer 64BIT.
    Also, make sure you reset your internet explorer security settings back to default settings, in case they have been changed, and restart internet explorer before going to the live one care scanner tool.

If that doesn't work try the microsoft fixit tool: http://support.microsoft.com/fixit#tab0

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 1:57 AM
  • I HAVE TRIED TO RUN THIS ONE CARE SYSTEM ON SEVERAL COMPUTERS AND I GOT IT TO RUN ON THE WINDOWS VISTA BUT NONE OF THE WINDOWS 7...MAYBE IT IS NOT UPDATED FOR THE NEW SYSTEM. I TRUSTED WINDOWS TO HELP KEEP MY PC UPDATED AND THEY CAN'T EVEN KEEP THEIR OWN TOOLS UP TO DATE.

garysgirl
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 2:47 AM
  • GO TO USER ACCOUNT SETTINGS AND SET IT TO NEVER NOTIFY RESTART PC AND YOUR ARE

GOOD TO GO .REMEMBER TO RESET SETTINGS TO DEFAULT LEVEL AGAIN WHEN DONE RESTART ONCE MORE IF YOU WANT THOSE SETTINGS BACK ON.

IN MY CASE AFTER IT DID THE CLEAN UP SCAN IT FOUND 151 FILES THAT IT WOULD NOT CLEAN DOM FILES?. ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED HOW TO DELETE THOSE FILES.

Saturday, October 23, 2010 1:57 AM
  • I'm a newbie and I too have encountered the "loop" and error code 0x0C600C03.

If the Live Scanner site could, at the very least, have "warned" people that the scanner could not be used on 64 bit OS or that it had compatibility issues with IE8, I would not have found mysef in this mess. Now I'm stuck with a scanner that I can't use and that I can't even uninstall using the procedure given by Windows Live themselves!

It's also incredible that these issues have been dating back to October 2007! It certainly doesn't appear that Microsoft cares that the "free" service that they are offering to people is really resulting in a lot of negative mileage.

So right now, I'm just looking for ways to get rid of a useless scanner that's taking-up space on my hard drive. I rather suspect that my search will take me beyond this forum. But I will find a way and when I do I'll return to this forum to hopefully bring some relief to other sufferers.

Saturday, October 23, 2010 10:07 PM
  • Same exact problem here in USA. All of my home computers (mine, my wifes and all my childrens boxes), and all 15 computers in my business have the exact same problem. Microsoft says they don't know anything about the problem, but if you search for 0x0c600c0 on Bing you get THOUSANDS of hits. Being an MCSE Since the late 90's I feel let down by the whole attitude Microsoft is taking towards this problem. They are just burying their heads in the sand like an ostrich pretending a major flaw in their highly touted (by themselves) security system simply does not work.

Mitch in Florida

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 5:24 PM
  • Still doesnt work on Vista Home Premium, Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Business, or Windows 7 Ultimate. These are the operating systems on the machines in my office and I just tried it on 6 of the 15 boxes and they all give error 0x0c600c03

Mitch

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 5:27 PM
  • To Mitch: At least you sound more computer savvy than I am - I'm a newbie of just barely 2 months! So could you imagine the horrors I now have to go through trying to find out how to uninstall this d@#*, useless scanner from my computer. What I've found out from research so far is that you would have to use an uninstaller like Retrovo Pro 30 day free trial, to remove the WLOCSS. Whatever you use, just make sure that it's usable on 64 bit OS (if that is what it sounds like you are using). Personally, I have not done so yet because I had to leave this issue to attend to more urgent matters (my mom is abroad and has been seriously ill for the past 3 1/2 weeks and still very far from recovery).

Another thing - I'm certain that I had unsubscribed from receiving feeds from this forum for some 2 weeks now to attend to other matters which I have alluded to above. Somehow I'm receiving feeds again. But I just thought I'd reply to you before I unsubscribe again and return to more important matters.

Joe

Thursday, November 11, 2010 12:14 AM
  • First time round everything went smoothly; but subsequent attempts failed to download the required software. So manually did a scan with MS Security Essentials & hey presto! Live One Care Scanners all functioned as before. May work with other anti - virus/malware packages?

So try a scan with your on board software immediately before trying LOCS - jo

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 6:58 PM
  • I thought it was gonna finally going to work I did everything they said to do,I see it downloading and thought it was gonna work but kept getting install scanner after I hit the Launch scanner button.At least I dont get that damn error code I hade for awhile.Good Luck.Im giving up on that crappy Live one Scanner it just makes me mad and is a waste of time
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 4:51 PM
  • I've had this problem in the past - intermittantly. And i'm having it now. And just like in the past, there is still no solution. I just found this forum and I just can't believe that this problem has been around for more than 3 years. Why even offer the service if they're not going to stand by it. Microsoft isn't some fly-by-night rinky dink hit-and-run company. (or are they?)
    Friday, January 28, 2011 1:31 AM
  • I tried this solution.  It didn't work.  I have been using Safety Scanner successfully for the last several months.  Then, suddenly it won't work.  I even tried re-booting my computer - no luck.  My everyday protection is Windows Security Essentials - works fine.

Monday, January 31, 2011 5:32 PM
  • I tried this solution on Windows Vista - didn't work.
    Monday, January 31, 2011 6:01 PM
  • I too have run into this problem, but reading these posts, it seems to me that you all think Micro$oft will be bothering to fix anything or even that they care about our problems. These posts are 4 months old and it still doesn't work. Just so you know, Micro$oft will not be fixing this problem, they don't care, they are all about money. In their eyes if they have released the software, then it works perfectly and does not warrant the time or effort in looking at it again.
    Tuesday, February 01, 2011 8:14 PM
  • its a bit beyond my computers skills...but my ie wont download the scanner..its gets to instal...repeats...gone into security and put scanner in safe site...no good...ie is blocking the download...activxcontrol..damaged....java not inabled....activex not inabled...etc...trying to learn...INSTALL WHAT AGAIN???...THANK YOU.
    Sunday, February 06, 2011 5:13 AM
  • I'd a simular problem but found if you run the Microsoft Safety Scanner with custom settings (On the pop-up page) Uncheck the Anti-virus & Anti-spyware boxes (most likely Not allowed to run by your own Anti-Virus) it Will Download & Run
    • Proposed as answer by n.rev Monday, February 14, 2011 2:28 AM
    Monday, February 14, 2011 2:26 AM
  • To Mitch,

I am sorry I took so long to return to this site. As I indicated, I had other more pressing matters to attend to.

From all my investigations, it seems that the free Windows Live OneCare Safety Scanner is not for Windows 64 bit users. That said, it is a continuing mystery why Microsoft continues to allow unwary and hapless persons to fall victim to trying to use the WLOCSS. It would be so much simpler for Microsoft to make a note to this effect to prevent the disenchantment of so many!

The procedure on the Windows Live site to remove the scanner using Add/Remove Programs will not work because the scanner failed to install fully.

That said, just chalk it up a bad experience and uninstall the scanner and look for something else to use. You can uninstall it using the 30 day free trial of Revo Pro which can be used on Windows 7 64 bit. Download Revo Pro at:

http://www.reouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Joe

Friday, March 18, 2011 4:04 AM
  • Hi Joe...I've been having the problem with WLOCS for a while. But everytime I start to do the install. Its a loop. Few months ago didn't have no problem. But now I do. I have the Windows security essential now. How do I re install the safty scanner? You can send me an email to cstandifer@bak.rr.com.

Monday, May 16, 2011 4:41 AM
OneDrive Developer Center (redirect)

Looking for the Live SDK?

OneDrive logo

The Live SDK 5.6 is now available

Find it on the OneDrive Dev Center, the new place to find samples, documentation, and other resources for integrating OneDrive into your app.
Choose your download

If you're using previous versions of the Live SDK, the Live SDK 5.5 reference is still available.