none
How do I change the email folder names in Live Hotmail?

Question

• Actually I know of one way to change the folder names where I save emails.  But it has an extra step in the process that seems totally unnecessary.  So, I think this is an issue development needs to look at remedying.

I can open the New Folder link on my page that shows the folders in Live Hotmail.  That link opens up a page with a box to enter the new folder name.  Then the Save button opens the page with a list of the folders and information about each one.  At the top of this page is the Rename button.

But this process is too cumbersome and obscure.  When the New Folder link is clicked, the next page should be the page listing all the folders with all the options of what can be done with them.  That is where the New Folder box should appear, or a button taking one to a box for a new name.  As it is, one must click the New Folder button, and put something in the box that first appears on a page by itself, before the SAVE button on that page will acknowlede and allow the next folder listing page to come up.  And there is no instruction on the New Folder box page indicating the need to go to the next page to rename a folder.  So, logically, the person who clicks on the New Folder button backtracks when they are taken to a page that has no rename option on it.

That's what happened with me.  Back and forth I went trying to figure out where the rename capability was hidden.  Then, in desperation, I put a new name in the New Folder box, intending to make a new folder and transfer the emails in the old to the new, even though I didn't know how I would delete the old yet.  Then, by happenstance, when I saved the new folder name I found myself at the folder listing page where I could do more than just name a new folder.

It's on a different subject, but related to this is the abysmal self help provided in the Help feature with Live Hotmail.  When HELP is clicked on the drop down menu under the circled question mark, the Windows Live Hotmail Help Center page that comes up is next to worthless!  First, there is no search box to enter a few search terms like one finds with Word Help or Excel Help, etc., and a help library like the others.  Also, the Frequently Asked Questions list is never ever any help to me, but I waste my time reading the list hoping to get help because it appears to be what little is available.  Also, that list of questions wastes time by being in full sentence form instead of key word caption form, and alphabetized.  That is not only pandering to a childish mindset that can't interpolate from a few key words, it also is less intuitive for the rest of us who know how to think for ourselves without someone else putting it in full sentences.  I dread having to come to forums to get help with what should be simple things in the programs I use.  When I come to the forums a search results in hundreds to thousands of responses even though I try to put in enough key words to narrow the search.  Then I have to scan a lot of stuff that is totally irrelevant looking for my needle in the haystack.  I almost never find anything related in the first three pages of search results, and I refuse to squander any more time than that, considering I should have been able to go to a functional help answer library in the first place, quickly getting what I need to know.  So, after asking a question in a forum, then I have to wait and hope someone will take pity on me and answer my simple question.

Developers, let's get back to the basics of service.

Also, in the Select a Forum Category bolow this question box I can find nothing that included the name Hotmail.  Why is that?  Neither is Hotmail mentioned under the Windows Live Developer category.  As much as Hotmail is used in the marketplace of email, doesn't it deserve it's own category or forum?

Tuesday, April 05, 2011 6:37 PM

Answers

• I was curious and looked at this.  In Hotmail, when you hover over "Folders", the gear-wheel thing that says "More actions for folders" pops up to the right of "Folders".  Click on that and select "Manage folders" to get to the folder list/rename/delete screen without having to make a new folder every time.

In any case this is, unfortunately, not the correct forum for this topic.  Hotmail's portal is here:

http://www.windowslivehelp.com/product.aspx?productid=1

Tuesday, April 05, 2011 7:56 PM

All replies

• I was curious and looked at this.  In Hotmail, when you hover over "Folders", the gear-wheel thing that says "More actions for folders" pops up to the right of "Folders".  Click on that and select "Manage folders" to get to the folder list/rename/delete screen without having to make a new folder every time.

In any case this is, unfortunately, not the correct forum for this topic.  Hotmail's portal is here:

http://www.windowslivehelp.com/product.aspx?productid=1

Tuesday, April 05, 2011 7:56 PM
  • JOshiro,

Thank you for responding.  I do appreciate it.

Here again, the answer was so simple, but finding that information about the gear wheel icon is not easy like it should be.

I should have been able to click on HELP under the circled question mark and typed "folders" into a search bar and gotten a list of relevant articles, one of which should have been "Rename".  How hard can it be to set that up for all the millions of Hotmail users out there?

When I go to the Hotmail portal none of the three lists on that page are in alphabetical order, which makes quick scanning it with my eyes more difficult to pick up a category relevant to my folder issue.  Nothing in the Microsoft Certified Solution Categories relates in any obvious way to folders, and folders are a key to organizing one's Hotmail account.  Nothing in Most Viewed Microsoft Certified Solutions relates to folders.  None of the Forums listing relates.

When I type "folders" into the Bing search bar at the Hotmail portal page it takes me to a search results page that shows Managing folders on the new Hotmail.  That's great, but how does a person find the Hotmail portal page when they are working in their Hotmail and need an answer?!  The HELP selection under the circled question mark in Hotmail should take a person there first.  As it is, the HELP button goes to Windows Live Hotmail Help Center, and that's no help.  Even from the Help Center there is no quick direct and obvious link to get one to the Hotmail portal!

This needs to be remedied, seriously.  I ask that you forward this thread to the proper developer locations to have this input where it can do some good.

Thank you again, JOshiro.

P.S. How do I change the font size for these text boxes that we type in?  This font is so tiny when I'm inputting that even with glasses it's hard to see!
    Wednesday, April 06, 2011 3:01 AM