Combine Accounts

Question

• Quick question,

Don't know if this is possible or maybe a future enhancement. I have a live id that i use for messenger and spaces. It is my primary id; however, I do not have it set up for hotmail since it is an email account for another domain.

I have another live id that i use for email only (hotmail). Is there a way to link the live id for email up to my main live id so that on live.com i can see my email from hotmail without having to switch between the two accounts.

Thanks! You are doing a great job.

Thursday, June 22, 2006 9:44 PM

Answers

• Hi Exempo,

To answer your question: no, you can't do that today.  We know this is a problem for our users and we are looking at ways of addressing it in future releases.  Thanks for the feedback!

--Lynn

Wednesday, August 02, 2006 9:22 PM

All replies

• Hi Exempo,

To answer your question: no, you can't do that today.  We know this is a problem for our users and we are looking at ways of addressing it in future releases.  Thanks for the feedback!

--Lynn

Wednesday, August 02, 2006 9:22 PM
  • I would just like to point out that I have exactly the same issue but that this is exacerbated by the fact that my hotmail Live ID is linked to my Xbox live account but my messenger and spaces Live ID is not. This means I cannot add my gamer card etc. to my spaces and even worse, now that there is messenger integration in Xbox Live and I can’t use it because my messenger Live ID is different.

Please Help – there must be thousands of people with this same problem and it’s been over a year since you said you were looking at ways of addressing the problem!

Saturday, May 12, 2007 8:38 AM
  • I also have this problem.

Any updates on this?

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 4:43 PM
  • i also have this same problem--has there been any progress on adding this?  the other thing that might work since you can "change" a live id, would be to let us cancel one id, and then change the other to the one that was cancelled (it would work for me anyway, i know its not a good solution for the above posters)  i know that this can technically be done now, but you have to wait 3 months to get the cancelled id again.  there should be an option to instant cancel it, versus making people wait for 3 months.
    Friday, July 20, 2007 4:57 AM
  • I've seen a new option on the account.live-int.com-site, "Linked ID's", it says "Link your Windows Live IDs, and sign in only once to use multiple accounts.", so I think this will be the solution to this problem.

Monday, August 20, 2007 12:44 AM
  • Alex,

That only allows you to switch between mail accounts. It's not the solution that most of the posters here, including myself, are looking for, which is the ability to combine or merge accounts.

We had a similar problem with xbox live. My 7 year old son setup an account immediately and then a seperate xbox live account was setup.  We want those accounts to be one, but have learned that it's impossible, but it seems like many people would have done the same thing.  It's not obvious that they are different "profiles".  The "non" xbox Live profile can have the profile "name" changed, but the xbox live profile only has a gamer tag (Which MS has deemed we can only change once w/o PAYING for it....good grief..no wonder so many sites and forums out there hammer on MS) but that "profile" has no name attached, only the gamer tag?  It's confusing and there should be a way to at least start over but we can't find a way to delete these accounts and start from scratch. Plus the xbox live account has a month of free gold membership we'd lose if we did.

I think the consumers/users have spoken loudly enough on these account issues. Does MS care about we lowly users?  In the end, we are all you have and with the software world exploding it would seem MS would jump through hoops to get us what we need.  I am an MS fan and have been for most of my adult life, but I can more and more often see why there are legions out there that are totally opposed to the MS business model.  I don't agree with most of what they have to say because they are not objective and very one-sided and in many cases borderline radicals, but I do see their points in regard to how over the years it's tough to see where MS is focused on being consumer friendly. That's it.

Jerry

Sunday, January 02, 2011 6:59 PM
  • Any news on combining different accounts? I have several accounts with +1500 recognition points. I would like to combine these to 1 single account.
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 4:53 AM
  • Same deal,

I want to merge my XBOX Live and my Windows Live account into one!

Friday, August 19, 2011 7:55 PM
  • Same deal,

I want to merge my XBOX Live and my Windows Live account into one!

Friday, August 19, 2011 7:55 PM