OneDrive Developer Center (redirect)

Looking for the Live SDK?

OneDrive logo

The Live SDK 5.6 is now available

Find it on the OneDrive Dev Center, the new place to find samples, documentation, and other resources for integrating OneDrive into your app.
Choose your download

If you're using previous versions of the Live SDK, the Live SDK 5.5 reference is still available.

Windows Live ID - Linked Accounts

General discussion

• The Windows Live ID Team has just release a new feature called Linked IDs.

Many people like to represent themselves differently in different situations.  We've noticed that users frequently fill this need by creating multiple online identities or personas with different accounts, both on the same and different services.  Multiple accounts previously meant you needed to sign out and sign in with a different Live ID again to switch to a new account persona, but the new linked ID features will make this persona switching much simpler now.

Linking together multiple Windows Live IDs allows you to easily switch between identities across a range of services, so that you only have to log in once to access different services using your different alter-egos.

The guys at LiveSide.net have looked at the new features in more detail:

http://www.liveside.net/blogs/main/archive/2007/10/18/update-to-windows-live-account-enables-linked-ids.aspx

Friday, October 26, 2007 2:44 PM

All replies

• It's a very cool feature indeed, but it should be noted that it only works on Wave 2-products, such as Spaces, Hotmail, the revamped Gallery, etc. etc.

It does not (yet) work on the personalizable page on live.com, on Live Favorites, Expo, and Alerts. Any idea when those services will get the Wave 2-update? Smile

Friday, October 26, 2007 8:46 PM
  • Sunday, January 06, 2008 3:50 AM
  • it works off the common header i.e. the bit across the top. As those other services get the common header rolled out it will become available.

note - for privacy/end user security reasons - no thirdparty.com website is aware of the linked accounts - this is purely a 1st party play (i.e. easily switching accounts within Windows Live Hotmail).

Alex Media wrote:

It's a very cool feature indeed, but it should be noted that it only works on Wave 2-products, such as Spaces, Hotmail, the revamped Gallery, etc. etc.

Saturday, February 16, 2008 5:53 PM
  • The common header rocks. The only thing I hate about it is the over-excited happy "look at me I'm a search bar with a green button next to it", and the redundant button to Home / Hotmail / Spaces / OneCare, it's already in the jewel menu.

The jewel menu and account dropdown's rock. Too bad my.live.com hasn't been updated yet Sad

Saturday, February 16, 2008 5:58 PM
  • It looks interesting and progressive; but I am unable to combine passport and live-id at this time.  Of course, I do seem to be logged on all around the place already! ??

Sunday, March 16, 2008 6:58 PM
  • What do you mean with this post? As far as I know, you can just link your accounts from account.live.com. If you can't, please contact support about it as this forum is aimed at developers, not end-users.

Monday, March 17, 2008 2:58 AM
  • The linked in feature doesnt work properly. I had 2 of my hotmail accounts linked and i access mails from both the accounts using one account id. The bummer is that all my emails from one account got deleted due to this. Even though i check emails from both the accounts regularly the system think i am not using one of the accounts and it deleted the emails due to inactivity. So overall whats this means is log into both ur accounts once in a while else u will loose ur data

Tuesday, April 01, 2008 7:44 PM
  • Hi Kris,

> The linked id feature doesn't work properly.

I talked to the Account Management team, and they said this bug was hotfixed on 3/31 (although it may have taken a short while for the update to propogate through all the servers).

Ops also retrieved a list of accounts with linked id’s and updated those accounts on the Hotmail Backend to simulate a login.

Tuesday, April 08, 2008 6:31 PM
  • Hello,

I have noticed a bug where while I'm under my hotmail, I cannot see other linked ID's in the list where I can switch accounts from. This happens in two out of four ID's I have linked. If I switch to the Home or Spaces tab, I can see the all four accounts in the drop down list from any of my four accounts. However, when I switch to the hotmail tab, in one of my accounts I can't see any of the ID's in the drop down list to switch accounts. In another, I can only see one other ID besides the one I'm currently signed in to. Again, this only happens in the hotmail tab and on two of my four accounts that are linked.

Thanks!

Javier

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 3:19 PM
  •  

windows live mesenger

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 5:59 PM
  • hi my name is leslie benwell my email address is: leslie101@live.com

leslie1012@live.co.uk

i have forgotten my passwords to them can you send me a new password for them.

you can send my password to leslielovesadele@live.com

Saturday, May 17, 2008 10:20 AM
  • For password retrieval, please contact support on http://support.live.com

Saturday, May 17, 2008 3:26 PM
  • Hi

I had this exact same problem about two weeks ago when I linked two of my IDs, so not sure linked id feature has been fixed at all.  All the new e-mails in one account just disappeared, so it doesn't look like it's been resolved to me.  As soon as I unlinked them all was back to normal.

So I'll steer clear of linking accounts together, as it has caused me a right hassle.  It's a shame as it would've been useful to be able to log into more than one account at once.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 9:19 AM
  • I need some assistant with entering my Product Key code, so I can continue using MS Word 2007.  Can you help?

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 1:14 PM
  • i have proplem wethe my maseenger

Sunday, September 28, 2008 8:21 AM
  • Hopefully this post won't get buried since this is a bit of an older post.... but how will a user with multiple personas affect me using the LiveID Authentication SDK?

What changes should be expected in the next revision (at a high level) if any...
    Friday, September 18, 2009 11:15 PM
  • Chris -

I doubt very much you will be affected since I've used the Live Id Authentication SDK while having multiple Linked Ids - and, indeed, used several of them in testing. I think the best way to view Linked Ids is as a convenience for users of online Windows Live Service.
    Monday, October 05, 2009 8:03 PM
  • Maybe you can help me. Well I hope you can at least. I have a msn.com account and a hotmail.com account... I "linked" them together but I still have to sign out of each account to check each mail. How is this "linked" system suppose to work? It says they are linked but under folders there isn't anything different and the lame description do not tell you exactly how you are to switch between accounts when you set it up. ie "there will be a new link located..."

Thanx in advance...

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 12:38 PM
  • Click on your name in the top right hand corner. You should see a menue drop down with your linked ID's there. Select the ID you wish to switch to and your done.

Hope this helps you.

Thursday, August 05, 2010 10:03 AM
  • OH thanks dnitski!

That was not intuitive at all!!!

Monday, August 09, 2010 10:35 AM
  • I have a few linked accounts, but am unable to link another.  I get the error "Your Windows Live ID cannot be linked because this feature is not available for your account type."

What type of accounts are NOT linkable?  I will say it's possible the account that cannot be linked to was supposed to be a child account that I created, but I would think that it would be easier to link to if anything.

What are my options?  I'd prefer to just change the account type, but changing it if it is possible was not intuitive.

If I have to delete and recreate the account I'd like to keep the same email address, how long would I have to wait before the username becomes available?

Appreciate any responses.
    Sunday, August 15, 2010 3:09 PM
  • Sorry, this service isn't available right now. If you've linked any IDs, they'll still be linked when the service is restored. When will this service be restored?
    Saturday, August 06, 2011 9:39 PM
  • I get exactly the same response, (as ThisUsername) from a Windows Live address which I want to add to the list of three other linked Id's. I don't get it when doing the same thing from either of the other three, but it does say that three is the maximum number of Linked ID's. Odd situation. I've tried the Fixit solution.
    Friday, August 12, 2011 3:47 PM
  • I was trying to create a new live id using my existing email ID, shajas@gmail.com but it says , "shajas@gmail.com is already a Windows Live ID. If this is your ID, you can use it to sign in. "

But when i tried to sign in using same ID, its not accepting, or when i click i forogt the password, 

"The Windows Live ID is incorrect" . Please try again.

How to solve this issue? i want to use my gmail account as Live ID. its not possible..?

Please help me..

• Edited by Shajas Friday, September 09, 2011 11:30 AM
    Friday, September 09, 2011 9:15 AM
OneDrive Developer Center (redirect)

Looking for the Live SDK?

OneDrive logo

The Live SDK 5.6 is now available

Find it on the OneDrive Dev Center, the new place to find samples, documentation, and other resources for integrating OneDrive into your app.
Choose your download

If you're using previous versions of the Live SDK, the Live SDK 5.5 reference is still available.