Windows Live Essentials Upgrade Failed -- Error 0x80040609

Question

• I recently purchased a laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium loaded on it.  Windows update is saying I need to update Windows Live Essentials.  When I follow the instructions as requested, the install fails with the following error message:

Windows Live Essentials

couldn't update to the latest versions

Because there was a problem updating one of the programs, none of them were updated.

error: 0x80040609

source: wllogin-amd64

retry does not change anything.  please help.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 12:22 AM

All replies

• Bump, I have the same problem.
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 4:37 PM
  • Microsoft can keep this unsolvable problem.  I am sick of Windows and will be getting an Apple next week.  Tom
    Saturday, April 09, 2011 2:43 PM
  • I am having exactly the same problem as DaveStover3461. How to solve this?

What I do know is, that if you google for it, you end up on all sorts of questionable sites that want you to download some "cleaning tool" that automagically will fix that problem... yeah right!

What is the point of displaying an error number, when googling for it you won't find what it means, or how to fix it yourself? All sorts of shady "companies" will jump in and exploit weaknesses like these... How does this help Microsofts goal of keeping your computer clean?

And why on earth is it so difficult to provide an update process for a Messenger that actually works? This is not the first time that this tool shows this type of weaknesses... Probably the root cause for all of this is that this tool has become way too bloated over the years, forcing you guys to juggle with way too many components...

Sorry about my vent, but I am annoyed that a professional company like MS is making such mistakes. Yes, I know this tool is free, and thanks for that - I did pay for Windows 7 however.

Monday, August 01, 2011 3:44 PM
  • This forum is for helping visitors to write Windows Live-aware apps/services (e.g. WordPress, Sina Weibo and a lot of Windows phone apps). For apps not written by yourself, you need to send your comments to the corresponding feedback channel. People who come here generally do not work for Microsoft and cannot legally publish software in Microsoft's name. 

The forums for Microsoft's Windows Live apps are on windowslivehelp.com.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Wednesday, August 03, 2011 7:45 PM