Compaq Presario CQ 61 Webcam Not Being Recognized (or shows as being not available) After Installing Service Pack 2 for Vista

Question

• Hi, need some help.
    I have recently bought a compaq presario cq61 1055ee edition with a built in camera. 
    it has all of a sudden stopped working and is not being recognized. when i try to use the webcam on skype or msn messenger for setting up purposes, it indicates that not webcam is available and it does not show on my device manager through control panel.

the only software installed prior to it working is vista service pack 2

i am trying to find the drivers to install them but cannot. through the compaq troubleshoot webcam it says to download usbvideo.sys from microsoft but it does not work.

need help!!!

Monday, September 07, 2009 1:41 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    Having same prob with presario cq60.

Installed Win 7 Ultim, built in webcam worked fine - for a while.

Not clue to why it stopped. No new software etc.

Not listed as unrecognized device or anything.

thanks
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 8:22 PM
  • I had the same problem. Bought a cq61, webcam worked fine. All of a sudden it stopped, and was only listed as Unrecognised Device on Device Manager. Drivers seemed ok. The solution I found was to use System Restore to put the system back to a date when I knew the cam worked. Once I had checked it was working, I then System Restored back again to the current date. And suddenly the cam was working again. No idea why this should work though, but it did for me.
    • Proposed as answer by jc77 Friday, March 26, 2010 9:11 AM
    Friday, March 26, 2010 9:10 AM