I am looking for a definitive answer since some of the information is a little conflicting and does not quite address the fill issue.
This is for running a manual test on a virtual machine ( not local machine). Test and virtual environment and machine created in MTM.
I have got Automated tests working fine on the same virtual machines.
On my local machine I have VS and MTM and I created a test and recorded the steps to play back on subsequent test runs.
What I want to know is:
1. Is it possible to run the test on the virtual machine so that the MTM side bar containing the test steps appears on the virtual machine and not my local machine? Just to clarify - On my local machine I would RPC or Environment View the virtual machine.
2. If not, then how do I get the results files from the virtual machine ( the system settings and Intillitrace etc) frm the virtual machine rather than my machine. How does the test know I am actually using another machine to do the test steps on?
3. If 1 is possible, will recorded steps run on the virtual machine?
4. When creating test Settings for manual tests I include the virtual machine but in its icon/mini picture in test Settings manager in Lab centre I never get a green tick like the one that appears on the local machine. What does this tick mean and how do I set things up to get a tick on the virtual machine so I can run manual test on it.
2012年1月9日 17:33I have a similar situation. Have you received an answer to this question?
No I did not get an answer but I think I have worked it out and after reading a lot of posts.
1. It is currently NOT possible to play an automated manual test back on a remote machine so the Test side bar is on that machine unless MTM and possibly VS is also on that machine, thus it being the local machine to the test.
2. The system settings can be got its all in the test settings and environment settings set up
3. Recorded steps will not run on the remote machine unless MTM and possibly Vs are on that machine so that is the 'local' machine to the test
4. see item 1
Currently deciding between using web tests and CodedUI for the testing.... The codedUI will become difficult at scale and read all teh tips because I can forsee many problems and brittleness if you do much coding yourself rather than the Coding tool.
To run a test manually from a VM of an environment, you need to have MTM installed on that machine. You would then RDP to that machine and then use the MTM there to run the test. As you can see, this is not an ideal experience, and most of the folks run manual tests from their local machine.
When you are running manual test from MTM, the 'local machine' from which you are running MTM is the one on which test gets 'executed'. The tick mark refers to this - the machine on which the tests are running. The other machines are just collecting data as part of running the tests.
When you are running automated test, you must designate one of the machines of the environment as the one on which the tests should be run. This is because there is no one sitting at MTM in the automated testing case.
In both cases, you can get the data collected from the remote machines, and you configure this through test settings.
Action recordings generated in a local test session can be played automatically on a virtual machine as part of automated tests.
- 回答としてマーク Vijay M [MSFT]Microsoft Employee, Moderator 2012年1月17日 5:37
I read your post and the answers. Does Microsoft refer to this situation/scenario in its Test Manager documentation.
AFAIK the only references for this are posts on msdn.