none
How to change profile picture to an image that already exists in your Profile Pictures library?

Domanda

• This past weekend I upgraded our farm to SharePoint 2010 using the db attach method.  Afterwards I ran the Powershell command to update the profile images library to the new format.  One thing I'm finding weird though is that there doesn't seem to be an easy way to change your profile picture to an existing image.  When I go to 'edit my profile,' and click on 'Choose Picture' it only allows me to select a new image from my local hard drive.  I can't seem to find a way to choose a picture that has already been uploaded.  I also went looking in my Profile Pictures folder and hoped to find an option to 'Make Profile Image' but did not see anything like that.  

Any ideas?  I can't imagine the only way to change a profile pic is to upload a new image every time.  Thanks!

martedì 14 giugno 2011 14:34

Risposte

• Why system only allows you to upload a new image may be because the system has to adjust the size of the picture you uploaded. You can find the uploaded pictures in the Profile Pictures folder in User Photos picture library in  my site host site collection.

By the way, Chris, content site is a seperate site collection for each of user, instead of sub site in the my site host site collection.

giovedì 16 giugno 2011 06:27

Tutte le risposte

• You are correct. There isn't a direct like to your "Shared Pictures" library that you can just browse to. If you notice, your Content Site is actually a subsite of you My Site. Look at the URL.

http://[SERVER]/my/personal/

Also, your profile picture is embedded directly into your profile properties (not a library). Really you're only option is to download your picture from your shared pictures library and re-upload it to your profile pic.

Chris Arella - Sr. Solutions Architect
    SharePoint User Experience, Branding and Design
    http://www.chrisarella.com
    martedì 14 giugno 2011 17:41
  • Why system only allows you to upload a new image may be because the system has to adjust the size of the picture you uploaded. You can find the uploaded pictures in the Profile Pictures folder in User Photos picture library in  my site host site collection.

By the way, Chris, content site is a seperate site collection for each of user, instead of sub site in the my site host site collection.

giovedì 16 giugno 2011 06:27
  • We ran into a similar mess when migrating from 2007 to 2010. From a (reasonable) user perspective, their My Site is everything grouped there when they click on the My Site link... but from a SharePoint perspective, it turns out it's only the document libraries, as far as I understand. Maybe from an IT/DB architecture perspective document libraries <> profile <> user-defined links <> whatever else, but from a functional perspective, they have put WAY too many barriers between things that should be integrated. 

How do I explain this to my users? "Yes, SharePoint is a world-class collaboration and information management system... it just can't figure out how to let you show a picture on your profile if you don't upload another copy of it... every time you want to change it..."

*embarrassed*

giovedì 5 luglio 2012 19:15