none
Unable to download ANY file from SharePoint 2010 using IE 9

Domanda

• I am not able to download any file from our SharePoint 2010 system using IE9 (both 32 and 64 bit fail similarly).  Selecting an item from a library and then clicking "Download a Copy" results in a popup asking if I want to save or save as.  When either is selected, absolutely nothing happens.  No download to configured download directory, no option to select a destination folder, absolutely nothing.

No error message, no popup, niente, nada, zip.

Opera, Safari, Firefox download files from our SharePoint instance without a problem, so it's not a mime type issue.

I've been researching this and poking at all the IE security (and other) options for hours to no avail.

Any thoughts?

Thank you!

Paul

lunedì 2 luglio 2012 13:51

Risposte

• Thanks Benjamin (and everyone) for your replies.

I posed this question to our Desktop Help Desk and they suggested downgrading to IE 8 (they indicated IE 9 had proven to be very unstable in our organization (1300+ employees) and refuse to support it (I did upgrade myself after all...)).

Sure enough, problem solved.

I'll try again with IE 10 although I'm a bit disappointed that IE 9 is not compatible with SP 2010 with Windows 7 (included OS variant for posterity).

• Contrassegnato come risposta Pengyu Zhao venerdì 13 luglio 2012 09:38
    giovedì 5 luglio 2012 13:27
  • It is compatible with SharePoint 2010.

If it is working for some employee and not for others then means it is system specific issue.

try to reinstall teh IE and for better purpose use IE 32 bit instead of 64 bit.

IE 8 is much more stable and compatible as compared to IE 9

giovedì 5 luglio 2012 18:53
  • Yes IE9 is very supported and works very well with SharePoint 2010. Been using Windows 7 with IE9 and SP2010 for as long as they have been out as I am always an early adopter. I just think that perhaps the settings in your organization may be giving you a bad experience instead.

Benjamin Niaulin Blog: http://bniaulin.wordpress.com

Twitter: @bniaulin

venerdì 6 luglio 2012 03:46

Tutte le risposte

• Can you verify that there are no javascript issues in your browser, and that javascript is enabled in your browser?

Blog: blog.beckybertram.com | RSS | @beckybertram | SharePoint 2010: Six-in-One

lunedì 2 luglio 2012 16:59
  • You can try to reset the IE9 settings completely to rule out a faulty add-in or javascript problem:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-MY/windows7/Reset-Internet-Explorer-settings-in-Internet-Explorer-9

SharePoint consultant / platform architect, speaker, accidental DBA & biased allround Microsoft-centric IT Pro @ http://thomasvochten.com

lunedì 2 luglio 2012 19:01
  • Is this a general problem with users that use IE9 or is it limited to a single user?

David

lunedì 2 luglio 2012 19:39
  • Hi David,

Single user = me.  Others here don't have a problem.  I've tried mimicking the configuration others have but this issue persists.

lunedì 2 luglio 2012 20:06
  • Hi Becky,

Javascript is enabled in my IE instance.  I just loaded a page containing a javascript clock I wrote some years ago and sure enough, it's still ticking :-)

Paul

lunedì 2 luglio 2012 20:07
  • Hello Thomas,

Reset everything.  Same issue.

lunedì 2 luglio 2012 20:14
  • Hi pgtaviator,

If this problem were across the board (multiple IE9 clients), then I would suspect that the SP level of 2010 was not high enough. I think that the Jun CU had IE9 support as IE9's support start date was officially April 7, 2011.

To me it sounds as if you may be experiencing a browser trust issue. Can you verify that the site you are visiting is either in the "Trusted" or "Intranet" groups in your IE9 security settings? Also, you did not specify as to how you were connecting to the farm (intranet, VPN, etc.), though it sounds to me as if you are connecting to it directly within your network.

Hope this helps,

Troy Lanphier -- MCT/MCSE/MCITP SharePoint Server 2010 Administration -- Author: Microsoft SharePoint Foundation 2010 Inside Out -- http://blog.sharepointcookbook.com

lunedì 2 luglio 2012 22:04
  • Hey Troy,

Sorry about missing some detail.  I'm on a LAN, same segment as others who don't have this issue.

There are global trust entries in all security zones for our domain (*.domain.com (example, not actual address...)) as well as for popup blocker exceptions.  These are all provided by group policy (or some other mechanism as I did not put them there).

I should note that IE is notoriously unstable and crashes regularly (multiple times a day), but only when working in SharePoint 2010.  I'm training to be a SharePoint Developer and it's a bit embarrassing to have to let my customers see these issues when I'm working on projects with them on my system.  Honestly, I'm not trying to bash IE but these issues really have me shaking my head a bit...

Thanks!

Paul

martedì 3 luglio 2012 13:08
  • Try a real full reset of your IE, solution by Marc Anderson http://sympmarc.com/2012/06/29/full-reset-for-internet-explorer-9-really/

Make sure your SharePoint Site in in Trusted Zone as well afterwards. 

mercoledì 4 luglio 2012 03:54
  • Thanks Benjamin (and everyone) for your replies.

I posed this question to our Desktop Help Desk and they suggested downgrading to IE 8 (they indicated IE 9 had proven to be very unstable in our organization (1300+ employees) and refuse to support it (I did upgrade myself after all...)).

Sure enough, problem solved.

I'll try again with IE 10 although I'm a bit disappointed that IE 9 is not compatible with SP 2010 with Windows 7 (included OS variant for posterity).

giovedì 5 luglio 2012 13:27
  • It is compatible with SharePoint 2010.

If it is working for some employee and not for others then means it is system specific issue.

try to reinstall teh IE and for better purpose use IE 32 bit instead of 64 bit.

IE 8 is much more stable and compatible as compared to IE 9

giovedì 5 luglio 2012 18:53
  • Yes IE9 is very supported and works very well with SharePoint 2010. Been using Windows 7 with IE9 and SP2010 for as long as they have been out as I am always an early adopter. I just think that perhaps the settings in your organization may be giving you a bad experience instead.

venerdì 6 luglio 2012 03:46
  • Update.

I've just installed IE10 for Windows 7 and I still can't download anything using it, even from Microsoft's offerings.  I have to use Chrome to download files from Microsoft.com.

Ran disk scans, nothing, ran sfc, nothing.

I'm afraid there's more work to be done for the IE dev team...

Otherwise than that, 10 is certainly better than 8 or 9...

Paul

venerdì 15 marzo 2013 15:46