none
Chane Address bar in internet Explorer , Change displayed Url in Explorer

Question

• Hi Ppl,

Just wanted to know if there is a way of change what is displayed in the address bar of the Internet explorer

I have been currently asked to change the Address display on a site I'm maintaining. So that Google and other search engines will take note, and give more ratings to the site.

Currently on the site. You search a product in the sql database, and then click on a product of choice. At that time the page will redirect to a view page passing in a variable with the product id "pdi", Which will then query the DB and retrieve the data need to display the product information.

eg 'http://view?pid = 33'

now What my Client has asked me to do is display something like
    'http://view - wooden Chairs - Basic chair'
    Now this does look a lot better so I'd like to know how to do this.
    Is this Possible?

Also if this is Possible, would Google or yahoo search engines take note of the dynamically changed URL?
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 10:10 PM

Answers

• You want to look into Url Rewriting.  You have to make valid URLs on the server side.  Since your issue is server side, and not a Browser issue, you should ask in the IIS forums on how to do Url rewriting.  See also Webmaster Guidelines from Google.
    • Marked as answer by Kruga Wednesday, January 06, 2010 9:26 AM
    Saturday, December 19, 2009 7:30 PM

All replies

• There is no API of the address bar. Hacks may not work long with the frequency of IE's updates.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Friday, December 18, 2009 7:13 PM
  • You want to look into Url Rewriting.  You have to make valid URLs on the server side.  Since your issue is server side, and not a Browser issue, you should ask in the IIS forums on how to do Url rewriting.  See also Webmaster Guidelines from Google.
    • Marked as answer by Kruga Wednesday, January 06, 2010 9:26 AM
    Saturday, December 19, 2009 7:30 PM