none
IE Developer Toolbar popping up everytime I open a new window or tab

Question

• The IE Developer Toolbar in IE8 is driving me nuts. I must have hit something on my keyboard by accident, but as of this morning, every time I open a new window or tab, a new instance of the developer toolbar pops up in the background - can somebody help me turn this "feature" off? Thank you!
    Thursday, March 03, 2011 12:33 PM

Answers

• Sorry - I wasn't sure if I should have posted it in the dev forum or the general IE forum as this was related to the dev toolbar.

Thank you for your suggestion though, unfortunately that hasn't worked - I even did File-> Exit to be sure on all the developer tool windows before closing all my IE windows.

I've found a workaround by using the 64-bit version of IE for now, but will repost my question at answers.microsoft.com to see if anyone can propose a fix for it. Thank you for your time!

Friday, March 04, 2011 2:11 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Post General IE questions to answers.microsoft.com. This is a public forum for web development using MSIE browsers.

That said... Close all Open Developer Tool Windows. (Close, not just minimize).

THEN

Close all IE Windows... the next time you start IE the Developer tool should not be visible.

If you have the Developer tool opened while you are debugging a web page and you open a new tab or window, another instance of the Developer tool will open along with the new tab or window.. viz.. Once opened IE assumes that you want to use the Developer Tool to debug all of your windows and tabs. It will always open another developer tool window with each new tab/window, UNTIL you have first closed all opened ones.

Regards.

Rob^_^
    Friday, March 04, 2011 4:59 AM
  • Sorry - I wasn't sure if I should have posted it in the dev forum or the general IE forum as this was related to the dev toolbar.

Thank you for your suggestion though, unfortunately that hasn't worked - I even did File-> Exit to be sure on all the developer tool windows before closing all my IE windows.

I've found a workaround by using the 64-bit version of IE for now, but will repost my question at answers.microsoft.com to see if anyone can propose a fix for it. Thank you for your time!

Friday, March 04, 2011 2:11 PM
  • For me, the Developer Tools was a seperate window, so to get it to stop openeing when launching IE, I had to "dock" it with IE and then close it.

• Proposed as answer by the Brian Friday, March 16, 2012 12:57 PM
    Monday, October 03, 2011 3:39 PM
  • For me, the Developer Tools was a seperate window, so to get it to stop openeing when launching IE, I had to "dock" it with IE and then close it.

this worked for me also - docked the Dev toolbar, then in the toolbar itself selected File> Exit.
    Friday, March 16, 2012 12:58 PM
  • What does docking it mean?
    Friday, December 28, 2012 8:06 PM
  • Docking is a term used in Australia and New Zealand... It is the surgical removal of the flaps of skin from a sheep's behind to prevent 'dags' (pieces of soiled, flyblown wool, that are worthless and decrease the value of the whole fleece.). Colloquially 'dag' is used to refer to someone who is considered worthless...

In the context of the developer tool in IE browsers it means that the developer tool dialog window is sized and positioned to fit at the bottom of the IE document window... you accomplish this by clicking the [-] docking (also called pinning) button on the developer tool.

see pic below...

Rob^_^

Saturday, December 29, 2012 12:33 AM
  • I also had the pop up version but first tried doctoroftype's suggestion. The first time around it did not work but the second time it did. What I did differently the second time is waiting for a couple of minutes before opening an IE. I guess the first time the process was still around in the background and by opening the IE right after closing it, IE never completely shut down.

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 6:37 PM