none
Reinstall IE7 in Vista

Question

• Is there a way to uninstall and reinstall IE7 from within Vista Home Premium? I know I could do this with previous versions of IE in XP, but I can't seem to figure out how to do it in Vista.

IE7 keeps crashing and I want to just try a reinstall of IE7 rather than do a complete reinstall of Vista!

Tuesday, February 06, 2007 7:50 PM

All replies

• I gave up trying to work out how to re install IE 7 and rebuilt my laptop. IE 7 still crashes..........
    • Proposed as answer by Martha Speck Tuesday, March 10, 2009 7:47 PM
    Wednesday, February 07, 2007 8:15 PM
  • There is no way to reinstall IE7 on Vista.  You should try running without Addons and if that doesn't help, use the Advanced Tab to restore IE to default settings.  See http://enhanceie.com/ie/troubleshoot.asp for instructions.
    Friday, February 16, 2007 7:31 AM
  • I've been trying to figure this out for hours, and finally figured out how to get this to work on my system.

Try this:

Start > Control Panel > Internet Options > Advanced Tab

Click the 'Reset' button.

Friday, March 16, 2007 6:54 AM
  • Hey Sam.. thank you very much yaar.. i had thiss problem for almost a month.. u gave a good solution to it.. Smile
    Wednesday, December 12, 2007 10:31 PM
  • Thanks Sam H, That worked. It also fixed the problem of Windows Explorer crashing the Firefox instance on Vista everytime I opened a window. Thanks a ton!

Sunday, January 06, 2008 1:50 PM
  • Upgrade to I.E 8 b and then uninstall  the I.E 8
    Tuesday, April 08, 2008 5:31 PM
  • I installed ie8 b just to try it out, and eventually uninstalled it because it was still pretty broken.

My ie7 had been fine before and installing and uninstalling ie8 left broken functionality in ie7 and created previously non existing crashes.

In short: installing a beta browser is probably not the best answer to this question.

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 10:05 PM
  • I did exactly the sam. Installed IE8, decided I didn't like it so uninstalled it. Now IE7 doesn't work at all, I just get the usual "INTERNET EXPLORER CANNOT DISPLAY THE WEBPAGE" page.

I've tried resetting IE in control panel but this didn't work either. Apart from forgetting about IE, is there anything I can do to get it working again?

• Proposed as answer by pcsappy Tuesday, December 30, 2008 11:44 PM
    Monday, September 15, 2008 11:43 PM
  • Guys I Found a fille called Ieinstal.exe in C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\ and will coppy it to my live website but untill i do i can email it to you.
    This is for reinstalling ie7 vista after uninstalling ie8 beta 1-2

• Proposed as answer by pcsappy Tuesday, December 30, 2008 11:44 PM
    Tuesday, December 30, 2008 11:43 PM
  • Erek Speed said:

I installed ie8 b just to try it out, and eventually uninstalled it because it was still pretty broken.

My ie7 had been fine before and installing and uninstalling ie8 left broken functionality in ie7 and created previously non existing crashes.

In short: installing a beta browser is probably not the best answer to this question.

Me too; that is, I installed IE 8 because Microsoft suggested it in the MSDN site. Microsoft did say it was beta but there was no warning; they clearly offered it as if it is safe. I had too many problems and uninstalled it and my IE 7 has been messed up since then. I don't get crashes but IE 7 opens sites in the wrong browser window. I won't explain here since this is someone else's thread and since this is not a programming problem the question should not be here at all.

Non-programming questions such as this should be asked in a non-programming forum, but IE 8 in beta testing should be avoided if you need to be able to use IE.
    Sam Hobbs; see my SimpleSamples.Info
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 10:24 AM
  • i agree IE8 is not good at all  and now m y IE7 will not work i get the message internet explorer is currently running with add-ons disabled this is false, it is activated and i can't download anything the gold bar and stops everything... i believe micrososft has lost the touch their programs are showing to have many problems .
    Wednesday, April 08, 2009 1:11 AM
  • Yeah ie8 broke it good

On my vista system after the uninstallation I am unable to open internet options either from the tools menu inside IE or via the control panel. The control panel does show the icon for internet options but without text underneath it.

Tried already:
    reinstall ie8 and uninstall
    use the microsoft fix it utility.
    inetcpl.cpl is available in /system32/ dir and it seems to be the right version
    tried the solutions above(however some are not applicable since I can not open internet options) to no avail.
    checkec all the policies for the user they are ok.
    ran the scan for integrity generated a 40 mb file which I dont know what I am looking for.

great that we can reinstall this ie7 product so easily to clean up the mess MS. I have been searching for 2 days already to correct this.
    Any good suggestions or just a simple reinstaller fix would be helpfull
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 9:25 AM
  • Same problem in XP with IE8, reinstalled ie7 no work, had to uninstall service pack 3 to get ie6 working. was able to get back on update page but when ie7 was installed again, crash came back so stuck with ie6 utill find a solution.
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 3:58 PM
  • i find it so awesome how MS's "Improvements" always involve restrictsions....  why no way to uninstall IE7... sorry for the venting..... same problem here.... no Tools no right click on links.. no IE nothing.. just view the pages..... did the "Resetting" for IE7... still nothing....  plus trying to upgrade back to IE8 is a no go..... will not install.... did a system restore as far back as one can go... still nothing... if i could download windows updates threw FierFox.. i would just tell them to use it and forget IE..... but.... if someone can come up with a fix.. i would BE GREATLY appreciative...... Still working on it though...
    Friday, July 03, 2009 6:37 AM
  • Hi Sam

Tried this and it works. Thanks a lot yaar

Start > Control Panel > Internet Options > Advanced Tab

Click the 'Reset' button.

Wednesday, September 30, 2009 1:02 PM
  • OMG! guys, I think I finally figured it out....i have had a couple problems with vista and for each problem, I just google the error and sure enough someone else out there had the same problem ....so,  I try their solution and it worked for me, so now, my current problem, that I just cured is that irritating message, mostly during start up : "windows explorer has stopped working".....so the first thing i do is delete my current ie7 thinking i can just reinstall it....well, it seems, microsoft wont allow it b/c, trust me I have tried everything, it keeps referring me to ie 8....so fine, i try to install ie 8 and it wont let me go all the way with the install(i use firefox mostly by the way, it just aggravated me that i couldn't install explorer b/c explorer is good for other things firefox is not and vice-versa))....so, they leave an icon, on my desktop, to go to this "fix it" website....i tried every method they suggested for ie8 install problems on this website.....I tried googleing the problem a different way and i finally came to this blog and some of you gave me some ideas that I havnt tried yet....first, i did the ie "reset" thing that was suggested however that didnt do it just yet.....try doing that and then do this: go to control panel, then update history, then install updates which is a list of downloads but separate from the "add and delete software" list or the "programs and features" list.....go ahead and delete ie 8 update along with whatever is in your programs folder and in your programs and features list.....just make sure internet explorer is totally off your computer then reinstall it.....oh, This also might have helped and I believe that this is actually a good program that i got from the microsoft fix it website....its called "windows live one care".....i ran a complete scan and tune up and now that silly "windows explorer has stopped working" window doesn't appear anymore.....its only a trial but atleast it removes viruses which i had one....Trojan something....now after 4 days and about 100 restarts, my computer is fine........It's always a challenge when microsoft comes up with new operating systems, isnt it?????? I hope this helps someone out there .......
    Friday, October 02, 2009 3:27 AM
  • i guess it has been awhile but i did some of the same things you did...ya, i guess there is no more ie7 for vista anymore.....i did the system restore and deleted a bunch of stuff but this worked for me finally: download windows live one + run the scans + delete ie8 from update list
    More specific down below:

OMG! guys, I think I finally figured it out....i have had a couple problems with vista and for each problem, I just google the error and sure enough someone else out there had the same problem ....so,  I try their solution and it worked for me, so now, my current problem, that I just cured is that irritating message, mostly during start up : "windows explorer has stopped working".....but this time i cant find someone that had the solution that worked for me.....so the first thing i do is delete my current ie7 thinking i can just reinstall it....well, it seems, microsoft wont allow it b/c, trust me I have tried everything, it keeps referring me to ie 8....so fine, i try to install ie 8 and it wont let me go all the way with the install(i use firefox mostly by the way, it just aggravated me that i couldn't install explorer b/c explorer is good for other things firefox is not and vice-versa))....so, they leave an icon, on my desktop, to go to this "fix it" website....i tried every method they suggested for ie8 install problems on this website.....I tried googleing the problem a different way and i finally came to this blog and some of you gave me some ideas that I haven't tried yet....first, i did the ie "reset" thing that was suggested however that didnt do it just yet.....try doing that and then do this: go to control panel, then update history, then install updates which is a list of update downloads but separate from the "add and delete software" list or the "programs and features" list.....go ahead and delete ie 8 update along with whatever is in your programs folder and in your programs and features list.....just make sure internet explorer is totally off your computer then reinstall it.....oh, This also might have helped and I believe that this is actually a good program so far that i got from the microsoft fix it website....its called "windows live one care".....i ran a complete scan and tune up and now that silly "windows explorer has stopped working" window doesn't appear anymore.....its only a trial but at least it removes viruses which i did have one....Trojan something....now after 4 days and about 100 restarts, my computer is fine........It's always a challenge when microsoft comes up with new operating systems, isnt it?????? I hope this helps someone out there .......
    Friday, October 02, 2009 3:36 AM
  • There is no way to reinstall IE7 on Vista.  You should try running without Addons and if that doesn't help, use the Advanced Tab to restore IE to default settings.  See http://enhanceie.com/ie/troubleshoot.asp for instructions.

Many thanks to your description! It's very detailed.
    Wednesday, September 08, 2010 2:39 AM
  • You ROCK!!!!  We have been trying to fix this problem for a few weeks.

TOTALLY AWESOME DUDE 

Sunday, October 17, 2010 2:04 PM
  • Thanks SAM ...its very useful for me...my father/brother getting this same problem..i just got your solution and problem soved within half min..... Thanx again
    Monday, December 13, 2010 3:40 PM
  • Use Firefox! I don't even use IE, but it causes me all kinds of problems anyway. It has rendered my AOL browser useless;  many webpages come up with the message that IE can't open them, even though the webpage is already up behind the error message. the last 2 weeks, even my AOL Welcome Page won't display because even when it comes up, I get the IE error message. When I play game demos on Iwin, the minute they end, IE comes up and goes into a loop, forcing me to restart my system; this happens randomly on other websites sometimes as well. I can't even upgrade to IE9 (I now have IE7), as the updates it requires won't configure properly and the MS automatic fixes say they worked but have done nothing. I'm completely fed up and frusrated at having this thing create so many problems for me when I have never used it, but at least I have Firefox, with Chrome for backup.
    Saturday, October 27, 2012 10:25 PM