none
gif files not displayed in IE

Question

• i have a set of gif files in my web application project. some gif files are not being rendered in my web app. when i researched the problem i found the following behaviour.

When i try to open those gif files directly from IE by typing the file path, like "C:\images\login_image.gif",  its showing the following symbol( red X mark)   .

Other gif files are opening fine from IE and are being rendered in my WEb App properly.

When i rename a working gif file to "login_image.gif" file it opens properly.

So it concludes me that there is no problem with the file name , but only with those file/file content.

How do i explain the reason of this odd behaviour.  If someone can pour some light on this i would be thankful to them.

Friday, January 28, 2011 7:07 AM

Answers

• Tools>Internet Options, Security tab, click "Reset all zones to default"

There is a security zone setting "Open files based on content, not file extension"

you may have .gif files that actually are jpg files. The first three bytes of image files usually contain the file extension they were created as.

IrfanView (free image editor) is a good tool for converting image types as it will detect if the file extension and content don't match.

Regards.

Rob^_^
    Friday, January 28, 2011 7:00 PM

All replies

• Tools>Internet Options, Security tab, click "Reset all zones to default"

There is a security zone setting "Open files based on content, not file extension"

you may have .gif files that actually are jpg files. The first three bytes of image files usually contain the file extension they were created as.

IrfanView (free image editor) is a good tool for converting image types as it will detect if the file extension and content don't match.

Regards.

Rob^_^
    Friday, January 28, 2011 7:00 PM
  • Gif files will not work properly using IE7 or IE8, but they work great using Firefox.

I have an account with MySpace with a lot of Gif files.......Using IE8, the page will scroll down and when you get near the Gif Files the animation will stop until you have passed it.

Maybe I will Download IE9 and try it.

Wednesday, March 02, 2011 5:41 PM
  • Both gif and png do display in IE, it attribute to mycomputer or IE browser? There isnot answer in google, who can resolve this problem?
    abercrombie
    Thursday, March 03, 2011 7:02 AM
  • If you have more than say 10 gif animations on a page you are asking for trouble....

They have gone out of favor for web content and are being replaced by silverlight and flash. Govt. web sites do not allow them at all.

Your collection on your myspace wall probably contains a mixture of different gif formats with different frame rates. As you increase the number displayed on the page and then scroll the browser has to recalculate the frame offset values.. Since modern screens refresh at around 75fps, each screen redraw wil have to wait for the recalced frame offset for each gif...

IE9 may display your MySpace page better, but who cares? (Isn't MySpace closing soon?... see your inbox)

A professional would balance speed against content.. a page full of animated content that loads slowly will deter visitors.

There is a setting to "Display page animations on web pages"... unchecking this will stop gif animations from starting

or

after the page has loaded press the STOP button on the Address Bar...

Without the asyncronous animation screen updates your page will scroll, but again that depends apon how much content (MB) your are forcing the browser to redraw.

If you page does not load in under 5 seconds, you are wasting time and carbon. 3 seconds is the recommended load speed for a web page.

REgards.

Rob^_^
    Thursday, March 03, 2011 7:02 AM