IE10 autocomplete usernames and passwords store location.

Question

• Hi,

I have been trying to write a simple program that imports autocomplete usernames/passwords to IE10 from previous IE versions on other machines.

In IE9 (and older versions), I can retrieve autocomplete usernames and passwords from "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\IntelliForms\Storage2" and decrypt by CryptUnprotectData() with the same logon.  (Assuming that the import procedure to other machines may be done by CryptProtectData() encrypt and write to the same registry location.)

However, with the new IE10 on Windows 8 (developer preview), autocomplete usernames/passwords no longer stored in the same registry location.  ("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\IntelliForms\Storage2")

Does anyone have any idea of where the autocomplete usernames/passwords can be accessed for IE10?

Thanks heaps.

Monday, November 14, 2011 7:58 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I think your issue should be raised in the Windows Developer Preview: General OS questions. I believe they will know more information of this issue than us, and I will move this one to that forum.

Thanks for your understanding,

Best regards,

Jesse

Jesse Jiang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, November 17, 2011 1:56 AM
  • thanks Jesse.  :-)
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 3:33 AM
  • Looks like IE10 stores its HTML forms passwords also now in Windows' Credential Manager. From IE's Internet Options -> Content tab -> AutoComplete settings -> Manage passwords button opens the Credential Manager control panel which has "Web Credentials" option. More info on how Credential Manager passwords can be decrypted: http://securityxploded.com/networkpasswordsecrets.php
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 8:00 AM
  • Yes you're right, I've noticed the forms passwords appeared in "Web Credentials" under control panels.

However, when i tried CredEnumerate(NULL, CRED_ENUMERATE_ALL_CREDENTIALS, &Count, &Credentials);, it returns only the "Windows Credentials" but none of the "Web Credentials".  Any ideas to this?

thanks heaps.

Wednesday, December 07, 2011 9:59 AM