I have been getting reports of the error in the title several times per week in the last month or so. The site is asp.net. The error occurs when the user submits the page. Most reports have come from one particular page, which is fairly complex with scripts. I made a few minor changes to the page so that any DOM modifications happen in a jQery.ready event handler (trying to avoid the obvious situation described in the message).
This started happening a few weeks ago. We have made no changes for months to the page on which is was first reported. The page where we get most of the reports had a significant change recently, but so far, I can't pin anything down.
I don't get this error when I use the pages in question. I have XP (SP3) and IE 8.0.6001.18702. Most of the users who report the issue have exactly the same setup. Thousands of people use the same page every day with no problems. Presumably quite a few of them also have the same setup.
The KB article states that this was an IE7 problem, fixed in IE8. It seems to have re-appeared. I found a couple of threads in this forum on this topic from last year, but no solutions.
So, I suspect something in a recent windows update, or maybe some interaction with other software (or plugins). Has anyone else seen this?
have you validated your markup?
the error can occur also if you have not closed a tag in your markup.
the error may only appear on IE8 when it is using Standards Mode... you have not told us which doument mode and the DTD of your page?.... some of your users may be running IE8 in IE7 Emulation mode and so do not have the issue.
Its almost impossible to make a guess without a site link or link to a mashup..
Thanx for the suggestion Rob - the markup is clean - I won't say validation is 100%, but there are no unclosed tags, or improper nesting, or other major issues
using html 5 doctype (<!DOCTYPE html>)
Unfortunately, the page is not one that I can publish for anyone to look at
This error happens to a very small percentage of users, and I have not been able to reproduce it either on the problem page itself, or with a mashup. The users who see the error are generally using the same version of Windows and IE that I am using (along with millions of other people!).
I know this is pretty vague, but I was hoping that someone else had run into this problem and found a cause (and a fix). Or someone with knowledge of IE internals could explain what could trigger this error.