none
The requested look up key was not found in any activation context

Question

• Hi , I need help

IN my 2003 pc i got this error when ever try to open any site (The requested look up key was not found in any activation context). any idea?

Thursday, January 18, 2007 4:54 AM

All replies

• i have that exact same problem!!!! it makes me mad.
    • Proposed as answer by gwilson Saturday, June 06, 2009 6:37 AM
    Tuesday, January 23, 2007 2:11 AM
  • I encountered this problem with my IE when it was upgraded to IE7.
    After removing IE7 through Control Panel -> Add/Remove programs, IE6 was
    restored and problem resolved.
    • Proposed as answer by haldean Monday, December 29, 2008 12:31 PM
    Saturday, January 27, 2007 6:13 PM
  • Well, does it mean, we should stick to Firefox instead? Is these anyone from M$ that could help this is sorted out?
    • Proposed as answer by andyst Tuesday, March 30, 2010 4:24 PM
    Thursday, February 01, 2007 11:28 AM
  • Had this same problem when my IE6 was upgraded to IE7 via automatically update, and now cannot access any website at ALL. Seems like there is some bug and conflict with the McAfee antivirus software. Will try to remove the IE7 through the add/remove software in Control Panel.
    • Proposed as answer by andyst Tuesday, March 30, 2010 4:24 PM
    Monday, February 19, 2007 9:27 AM
  • same bug here after uninstalling IE7
    Tuesday, February 27, 2007 11:24 PM
  • I had the same problem.. This happened when I upgraded to IE7 but was still using IE6 (Didn't reboot).. I did get popup about "Restart now" and "restart later"... Once I restart the computer and IE7 kicked in.. it starts to work fine.

Saturday, April 14, 2007 5:39 AM
  • i need help in my 2003pc i got this error when ever i try to open any site (the requested look up key was not found in any activition context).any idea
    • Proposed as answer by gwilson Saturday, June 06, 2009 6:37 AM
    Saturday, May 05, 2007 1:49 AM
  • go to start-->control panel-->system, and click on the system restore. go back to using IE6. There are still a lot of bugs in IE7, so DO NOT use it. and do not update to IE7, if you are comfortable using IE6.

Tuesday, May 08, 2007 4:58 AM
  • how do i fix this its got me going crazy help me please
    • Proposed as answer by saudi_11 Saturday, November 06, 2010 7:29 PM
    Monday, May 14, 2007 6:26 PM
  • i've got the same problem but how to remove the IE7? i've try to remove from add/remove at the control panel but the IE7 is not listed there....
    Thursday, June 07, 2007 4:43 AM
  • i think it has something to do with microsoft making me update to vista, i had vista and went back to xp and iam damn sure this is part of why iam getting bluescreens, ive replaced my motherboard and hard drive, reinstalled from real oem discs and still same bs.... something aint right here...
    Saturday, June 16, 2007 1:09 AM
  •  

to the last post. your issue sounds like a memorie problem. not because you upgrade to vista.  try downloading mem test or microsoft mem test.  create the disk either floppy or cd. load into system and reboot pc.

as for the other i am having the same problem but i only have ie 5 and it will not download any software.  i was think it was viruses and / or spyware but i have run a few scans and i am not seeing anythig. don't know what is going on.

and i can't get any updates to get 6 or 7.

Wednesday, August 08, 2007 4:52 PM
  • Try using firefox. I think it works much better.

Wednesday, August 08, 2007 6:00 PM
  • Try Going to Tools manage Add-ons and update the macromedia shockwave activeX control, or disable it if it won't update. It should update to Adobe flash. This fixed the problem on my Notebook.
    Friday, August 31, 2007 7:26 AM
  • yeah i came to realize that it was a error with my processor causing me all the errors, the pins somehow werent touching the board properly anymore after years of use, i pulled it out a few times and put it back in and finally it stoped, i still will not upgrade to vista but i do now belive that microsoft had nothing to do with it.
    Friday, August 31, 2007 8:04 AM
  • hey I got the same problem when I tried to upgrade from SP1 to SP2. What you can do to eradicate this problem is

1) open ur registry editor

2) then go to following location

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}

3) under this change the key isinstalled from 1 to 0

4) Then reboot ur machine.

5) now reinstall the IE.

for me the above solution worked so I hope it would work for you people also.

Friday, May 30, 2008 7:43 AM
  •  

IE7 doesnt come up in my Add/Remover Programmes Any Ideas Why??
    • Proposed as answer by renzobiswa Wednesday, August 12, 2009 3:41 PM
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 12:02 PM
  • You need to check the box next to "View updates"
    • Proposed as answer by bench315 Sunday, April 15, 2012 8:09 AM
    Monday, December 29, 2008 12:31 PM
  • any luck I to am having the same problem its a pain????  HELP
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 12:56 PM
  • Hi , I need help

IN my 2003 pc i got this error when ever try to open any site (The requested look up key was not found in any activation context). any idea?

hi i have a problem in my computer "the requested lookup key was not found in any active activation context" what  i do
    Monday, July 13, 2009 5:42 AM
  • Hi,

Guys I had the same issue after upgrading my secondary active directory, Windows Server 2003 stranded edition with service pack 2 to Windows Server 2003 R2.

I uninstalled IE8 and restart the server. After that it worked fine. Just try it.

Wednesday, July 22, 2009 1:43 PM
  • try to click on show updates square box on add and remove programmed and look for windows internet explorer 7

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 3:43 PM
  • go to control panel click on add remove scroll down to windows explower 7 and delete it re boot that does it good luck
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 6:01 PM
  • go to control panel  add remove and delete  window internet explower7 then reboot shoud fix problem
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 6:03 PM
  • delete e7 in control panel
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 6:05 PM
  • i figured out how to fix issue and i know nothing about computers. All theses other proposals might work but what if you cant find them...
      -first you need to open windows explorer, then tools folder. folder option, view and show hidden files and folders.
      -Then go to my computer, C drive, windows there you should see the ie8 or 7 folder. Go in then the spuninst and there is a uninstall spunst file.

And there you go it will reboot and your explorer is back to 6 then you can update it...problem solved

well thats what worked for me, hope it works for you too...goodluck!!

• Proposed as answer by sammysooser Monday, October 24, 2011 3:45 PM
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 2:52 AM
  • Hi , I need help

I have the same problem .its not listed in Control Panel . Where do I go from here . any ideas ?
    • Proposed as answer by Jsun 4 IT Saturday, November 28, 2009 4:09 PM
    Friday, November 27, 2009 7:13 PM
  • Please uninstall the latest version of IE installed on your system by typing %windir%\ie<major-version-number>\spuninst\spuninst.exe in the Run... prompt.

E.g. for IE 8
    Uninstall IE8 from Start >> Run... by typing:
    %windir%\ie8\spuninst\spuninst.exe

This should revert the system to the default installation of IE which is likely working fine. You can then download the latest version of IE from Microsoft's web site and perform an installation.

Of course, the better alternative is to have another web browser as well, so you are not handicapped from on-line productivity because IE is not working. Try Google Chrome (www.google.com/chrome) or Mozilla Firefox (www.mozilla.com) or Opera (www.opera.com). Whenever there is an issue with one browser, try another - this can assist in correcting the issue as well without having to use another PC.

Whatever you do, do not reinstall the OS to fix a browser specific issue - unless you like the disruption! There are many alternative browsers!

See: http://jsun4it.blogspot.com/2009/11/dells-bad-advice-and-internet-explorer.html

• Proposed as answer by Soup849 Tuesday, September 07, 2010 9:09 PM
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 4:18 PM
  • Here's a summarised solution which i found :-

After installing ie8 i started getting the above problem, I could not select Tools > Internet Options or even could not restore my machine.

IE 8 installation removal solved the problem.

Method 1 :-

Remove ie8 from Control Pannel - Add and Remove programs - Then Reboot - It will solve most of the times.

else

Use this shortcut - - - Does the same uninstallation.
    %windir%\ie8\spuninst\

else

Download Fixit solution for this prob of unistalling ie8
    search for  uninstallie8.msi   and you should be able to get it and download it.

else follow these steps to manually install ie6 over ie8 (ultimately this worked for me)
    regedit
    Change the key from 1 to 0
          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}

Next - Delete the following two internet explorer entries from registry

mycomputer\hkey_local_machines\software\microsoft\internet explorer
    similarly from mycomputer\hkey_current_user \ software\microsoft\internet explorer

now install ie6 - you shd be able to install.
    Prefer keeping firefox or second browser handy .
    If ie6 complete version is not able to be downloaded try this link.......very useful to me to install ie6 when ie8 had left traces and setup could not proceed.

http://www.compu-docs.com/ieadmininstall.htm

Thanks.

• Proposed as answer by bravelittlebird Saturday, September 04, 2010 5:46 PM
    Wednesday, December 09, 2009 3:45 AM
  • look up key
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 4:51 PM
  • upgrade to internet exployer 8,then reboot
    • Proposed as answer by SJWOH Saturday, June 26, 2010 1:04 AM
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 4:05 PM
  • you can either do two things:

1. you can download internet explorer 8

2. (the way i did it) download firefox and use it.

either way works and is useful. NEVER USE INTERNET EXPLORER 7!!!!

• Proposed as answer by compute.com Wednesday, July 14, 2010 7:17 PM
    Thursday, July 01, 2010 3:38 AM
  • I do clean installs of xp home and pro everyday and on doing updates I get this error, uninstall ie8 and reboot and all is fine, OR wait for windows to have updates ready and click on yellow install symbel next to clock and install downloaded updates and this also fixes the issue.... some pc's will not download the updates so uninstalling of ie8 has to be done.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 7:21 PM
  • Please do not uninstall any application or any Anti Virus Software from your System. It is too easy to solve this problem. Just Download the Microsoft Internet Explorer 8 on flash/CD and double click on this downloaded Microsoft Internet Explorer 8 file. After the installation of Microsoft Internet Explorer 8, reboot the System and Problem Finished. Too any experts and all solutions are …………………………..

Saeed Mughal

sjmughal@hotmail.com

Wednesday, September 01, 2010 12:55 PM
  • Here's a summarised solution which i found :-

After installing ie8 i started getting the above problem, I could not select Tools > Internet Options or even could not restore my machine.

IE 8 installation removal solved the problem.

Method 1 :-

Remove ie8 from Control Pannel - Add and Remove programs - Then Reboot - It will solve most of the times.

else

Use this shortcut - - - Does the same uninstallation.
    %windir%\ie8\spuninst\

else

Download Fixit solution for this prob of unistalling ie8
    search for  uninstallie8.msi   and you should be able to get it and download it.

else follow these steps to manually install ie6 over ie8 (ultimately this worked for me)
    regedit
    Change the key from 1 to 0
          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}

Next - Delete the following two internet explorer entries from registry

mycomputer\hkey_local_machines\software\microsoft\internet explorer
    similarly from mycomputer\hkey_current_user \ software\microsoft\internet explorer

now install ie6 - you shd be able to install.
    Prefer keeping firefox or second browser handy .
    If ie6 complete version is not able to be downloaded try this link.......very useful to me to install ie6 when ie8 had left traces and setup could not proceed.

http://www.compu-docs.com/ieadmininstall.htm

Thanks.

this definatley worked for me. (for my Dell Mini)
    Saturday, September 04, 2010 5:47 PM
  • all u have to do is download internet explorer 8 to a flash drive and install. fixex the problem quick. just need a diif computer or i can send it to you.
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 2:59 PM
  • Yes all you need to do is Install IE8

Wednesday, December 08, 2010 9:09 PM
  • I was able to accomplish the auto-updates even with this error, by changing my start page to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com (which for some reason works, when just browsing that url doesn't), I did another round of updates, which installed IE8, and fixed my issue...

Just my 2 cents in case anyone needs it. :):)

Friday, December 10, 2010 5:18 PM
  • I was able to accomplish the auto-updates even with this error, by changing my start page to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com  (which for some reason works, when just browsing that url doesn't), I did another round of updates, which installed IE8, and fixed my issue...

Just my 2 cents in case anyone needs it. :):)

This worked for met too.  Thanks for the tip RichTeach!
    Friday, December 17, 2010 7:55 PM
  • Upgrade to IE8 will fix the issue. When you do a new install, you get IE6 if your software is valid, then microsoft will let you install the window updates. I have Windows XP Professional ver. 2002 sp3. This will work.
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 7:12 AM
  • Upgrade to IE8, this will fix the issue, IE7 still have alot of bugs.
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 7:14 AM
  • Upgrade to IE8 this will resolve your issue, IE7 still have alot of bugs.
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 7:15 AM
  • I had a fresh install of srv2k3ENT and I ran windows update and chose the option to install SP2, first. It worked fine at that point. I then installed 100+ other recommended updates including IE8.  At this point I could no longer RDP to the server and so I went to try to finish windows updates and I got your exact error. When I clicked on Windows Update from the context menu or even microsoft update from the context menu I got the same error. When I clicked on Internet Options in tools on IE8 I got some other error saying the operation wasn't allowed on this machine and to contact the administrator.

I uninstalled IE8, and did nothing else, and I can RDP and the server functions as normal now.

`hubbs

dr.hubato!
    • Proposed as answer by tekmouseLLC Friday, May 27, 2011 12:06 AM
    Friday, May 27, 2011 12:05 AM
  • Hi,

I am having the same problem, i have uninstalled the ie6 and re-installed, i have also removed the reg keys for ie6. I downloaded mozilla and that is working fine but no luck with ie6 and its not letting me upgrade to ie7. I have scanned the pc with kapersky boot up and removed about 40 viruses , i have also done a chkdsk /p/r and on top of that an long repair but the issue is still there. I have also ran malwarebytes with no infections quarantined. I have been unable to run sfc/scannow or any sfc command for that matter.

PLS HELP

Chadilss

Friday, August 19, 2011 9:40 AM
  • ust uninstall IE8 / IE7 by going to start -> run:

%windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe

Run this command and solve problems

Tuesday, July 09, 2013 4:36 AM

• just uninstall IE8 / IE7 by going to start -> run:

%windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe

Run this command and solve problems