none
Internet Explorer Script Error When Trying to Install VMware Player

Question

• I just downloaded VMWare Player because Sun's VirtualBox wouldn't work on my Windows Vista Home Premium Edition Dell PC.  The program downloaded just fine.  When I try to complete the install, it opens and starts to load.  However, after I click yes when the path is named, it gives me the IE Script Error.  I have removed temporary files per the MS site, I made sure the debugging option was checked, etc., etc. I upgraded from IE7 to IE8.  I made all the necessary Windows updates as well. I uninstalled and reinstalled as well as rebooted, and same error. Can you help?

Internet Explorer Script Error, An error has occurred in the script on this page. Line 870, Char 7,Error-Expected']' Code 0

URL:file:///C:/Users/pare'1/AppData/Local/Temp/vmware_1280540448/index.htm?lang=10338locale=1033

Sunday, August 01, 2010 2:37 AM

All replies

• I suggest you to visit communities.vmware.com。 This forum is for help in writing IE extensions, and it does not look you are writing one.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Sunday, August 01, 2010 4:33 AM
  • This was the closest thread to the topic I needed a solution for.  The error is an Internet Explorer error.  Thanks for looking.
    Sunday, August 01, 2010 1:38 PM
  • This forum is NOT for using IE itself. It is for helping people to write software to extend IE. If you need help in using IE, check the IE forums under the Windows categories on Microsoft Answers. But your question is not related to using IE either. You never visit the page in IE yourself, VMWare opened it in a webbrowser embedded in VMWare. We don't know how VMWare wrote that browser, except that it somehow extends IE's trident engine.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Sunday, August 01, 2010 5:19 PM
  • dude calm down!

who gives a crap what site hes on

Saturday, August 27, 2011 4:52 PM
  • The error is pretty straightforward—a ']' is missing, or some other error is causing the parser to think it's missing.  

The error is an IE error, however the source of the error is a script that VMWare wrote and is part of the VMWare package.  Most contributors to this forum do it for fun in our spare time, so it's unlikely we'll actually be able to spend time debugging VMWare's package.  As such you're likely to get more useful help from a VMWare forum, where other users may have experienced this issue.

Monday, August 29, 2011 4:18 PM
  • I had the same, try removing your "personal Environment varibles " setting for temp and tmp this worked for me

tim

Thursday, March 01, 2012 10:20 AM