none
IE9 Beta - 'Internet Explorer has stopped working' error loop.

Question

• I'm unable to run IE9 beta version due to an error popup that appears when I start the application up, I then get stuck in an error message loop and have to shut the program down. I've tried starting the browser without addons, as suggested on other forums, but this hasn't worked.

I'm running Vista SP2 - I just upgraded from SP1 in order to run IE9.

Has anyone else experienced this or have any ways to fix it?

Thanks for any help

Saturday, September 18, 2010 11:08 AM

Answers

• If you want a solution go to the feedback web site mentioned above. This forum is for help in writing web sites.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 2:32 PM

All replies

• same for me.  I am using vista sp2 traditional version :-(............

very disappointed for Microsoft.  provide a unworkable beta.

Saturday, September 18, 2010 3:06 PM
  • The feedback site for IE9 is https://connect.microsoft.com/IE. This forum is for help in writing IE-aware web sites.

Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Saturday, September 18, 2010 7:30 PM
  • Run regular windows updates... If you just applied SP2 you've been living under a rock.

Go to the windows update site (Start>Search Windows update) and apply ALL back updates before trying to install the Beta product again....

There was a critical Windows Update one day before the Beta release.... If you had not upgraded Vista to SP2 you would not have installed all the other updates (dirvers etc) that are needed by IE9....

SP2 is probably a baseline requirement for the installers as Vista/SP1 is no longer supported. The MS developers always assume that client PC's are always kept up to date.

Rob^_^
    Sunday, September 19, 2010 5:01 AM
  • Thanks for your helpful, if somewhat supercilious reply.

I do have automatic windows updates on and have all the recent updates installed, so why I ended up having to manually install SP2 is a bit of a mystery.

So anyway IE9 still doesn't work despite running Vista SP2 and having all the windows updates.
    Sunday, September 19, 2010 8:26 AM
  • Hi,

I am using Windows 7 professional. The updates are on and I update whenever the system recommends.

I get the error ''Internet Explorer has stopped working" when I close a single tab or all tabs.

Any solution...?

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 11:04 AM
  • If you want a solution go to the feedback web site mentioned above. This forum is for help in writing web sites.

Visual C++ MVP
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 2:32 PM
  • Yeah don't want to offend the MVP drones here ....
    Monday, October 11, 2010 2:39 PM
  • A C++ MVP is nothing here. This forum is for web site authors who want to improve web site for IE visitors and the last time I write web site is before the dotcom bust.

But It does not hurt to point out that this question has nothing to do with writing web sites and where the correct place is. You don't have to be the bus driver to know where the bus is going and tell someone to get off the bus when asking about the wrong destination.

Visual C++ MVP
    Monday, October 11, 2010 2:50 PM
  • I am using Windows 7 Home Premium(64-bit). The updates are on and I update whenever the system recommends.

I get the error ''Internet Explorer has stopped working" when I open the internet Explorer 9. suggest me a solution.

Thursday, November 04, 2010 4:20 AM
  • You are in the wrong forum. This forum is for web site authors who want to improve web site for IE visitors.

If you need an IE forum, from IE's help menu (ALT+H), select online support, then communities. But I suggest you to also visit the IE connect site in any stable webbrowser to get the IE product team involved..

Visual C++ MVP
    Thursday, November 04, 2010 4:56 PM
  • I have the exact same problem and I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium with IE9 for a browser. I have found many different solutions online and the most popular fix being remove all ADD ONS! Nothing has worked and my belief is it's because IE9 is a beta program. I'm sure Microsoft will come up with a fix, just when is the question.

I know this isn't an answer to yoyr problem but from what I see there is no answer at the moment.

I'll continue to look for a solution and post it if I find one.

Monday, November 15, 2010 12:41 PM
  • Same problem here but with the combination Windows 7 and IE9. Does Microsoft REALLY think or wants us to think that this ci=ombination REALLY works??

NEVER had this problem with Windows 7 and IE8. Problem is that my PC was upgraded!?!?!? to IE9 one day when I started up in the morning... no questions asked, no option given, just upgraded... (I call it downgraded).. And even worse, I can (according to Microsoft) uninstall IE9 and reinstall IE8. That doesn't work.. I can uninstall IE9 but CANNOT (registry doesn't allow it) reinstall IE8.

Don't make the same mistake. Just CANCEL the automatic updates from Windows... same thing will happen to you.

Friday, June 10, 2011 12:23 PM
  • IT WORKS ! ! !

I found below solution from another website but couldn't relocate again. 

Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering

Most probably these types of errors do occur due to hardware or hardware driver incompatibilities. This newer version of the internet explorer utilizes the power of your GPU to render the HTML 5 multimedia elements. with the help of this technology your browser renders higher quality browser experience without utilizing much graphics. When the browser utilizes the GPU it reduces the CPU load , which in turn enables other browser subsystems to do more as well as it enables higher frame rates for smooth animation rendering as well as smooth video playback. However if you feel that your hardware is not supporting the acceleration which you need then you have the ability to set an option in the advanced settings to use software rendering instead of GPU rendering. Simply follow the steps that are mentioned below in order to enable or disable the settings.
    1. In your Internet Explorer 9 Browser.
    2. Go to tools and select Internet options and then go to advanced.
    3. You can bring up the menu bar by pressing Alt button.
    4. Finally you need to select and deselect the check box saying "Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering" this option is under accelerated graphics.
    Friday, June 17, 2011 1:46 PM
  • this worked for me on Vista32 and with IE9 RTW/RTM
    Sunday, July 24, 2011 7:58 PM
  • If the pop-up message keeps reappearing over and over.  Here is how to fix it
       1. Since the pop-up window can’t be stopped (even by using the Task Manager) the only solution is to restart Windows 7.
       2. After that Open Internet Explorer again.
       3. Now, click Start.
       4. Click All Programs – Accessories – Systems Tools.
       5. Click Internet Explorer (No add-ons). Apparently, the error seems to be triggered by some incompatible add-on.I
    Email Spam Blocker
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 3:56 AM