none
Virus causing IE to pop up warnings and virus removal software adds

Question

• My daughter's home computer has picked up a virus that causes Internet Explorer to continually pop up with virus warning messages (hijack of the home page).  When you click these messages it takes you to a site that offers various virus removal programs for purchase.  This has also drastically slowed down her computer.

I've tried updating all the MS products/versions and have swept for viruses and spyware (Trend Micro PC Cillan) multiple times with no success.  Even when I switch my default browser to Firefox, IE continues to pop up.

Any ideas on how I can fix this

Ken

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 5:39 PM

All replies

• You have a virus (and/or a sypware) infection.

Download a real AntiVirus software program:

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/  (Free version of AVG)

Install it, and run a system scan, wipe out any viruses found.

Step 2: Download a real AntiSpyware program:

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html (Spybot Search & Destroy from Safer Networking)

Run a full scan, wipe out any spyware infections (you may need to reboot & scan if you are heavily infected)

(be sure to also run the "Immunize" option when done, this will keep 95% of the crud from sneaking in in Internet Explorer. (protects against ~30,000 different known spyware apps that try to sneak in through IE's not-so-secure security)

Done!

Breath easy, and seriously consider surfing in Firefox 99% of the time, and only switch to IE if a site will just not work in Firefox.  The protection gained just by using Firefox is imense!

Good Luck!
    Tuesday, November 13, 2007 7:48 PM
  • Thanks for the timely reply.  Spybot S&D took care of a lot of the junk.  Still a minor issue that I'll try to handle with AVG. 

Can you recommend a firewall alternative to Zone Alarm ?  It got corrupted somehow when I tried to update it and is now disabled and useless.

Thursday, November 15, 2007 9:20 PM
  • No problem! ;-)

I personally quite like Zone Alarm... once your PC is cleaned up, I would just remove/uninstall whatever portion of Zone Alarm is left, and Re-Install it ;-)

That said, there are several on the market... I hear good things about Black Ice.

There is also this site (which I haven't verified one way or the other, that appears to be a legit review site of firewall software), that might be of assistance.

http://www.firewallguide.com/software.htm

Good Luck!
    Friday, November 16, 2007 3:46 PM
  • I agree I am a certified tech you need a good anti virus I run etrust internet security suit on all my systems stay away  from norton and mc crapy as I call it. CA etrust has been very good for me for last 4 years also you can go to a site called iobit.com and down load the free version of there clean up program very powerful tool for cleaning your computer also if you dont have it down load windows defender and run it but understand no program will total solve all issues perm unless you stop going to known sites prime for this type of behavior also no program will do it on its on computers require maint its not enough to just have the program you half to run them and scan your system daily if used heavily to keep it clean hope this helps or gives you some ideas
    Wednesday, April 01, 2009 12:33 AM