none
Windows 8.1 and IE 11 slow slow slow!

General discussion

• Just performed a Windows 8.1 upgrade three days ago, everything went reasonably well, no issues other than getting everything configured and apps re installed.  Had to run some communications traces to debug a few things was surprised to learn that a lot of things are happening in the background after the install, like Windows Telemetry, Certificate downloads and who knows what else.  

So I started using IE 11 immediately, and had lots of strange issues.  Browser pages would stop loading, IE 11 would reload the whole page automatically, every navigation attempt is much slower, IE crashed an number of times etc.  For example, just going to You Tube the navigation is about 10 seconds of more per video click.  Sometimes you feel it received the click event sometimes you don't.  Then the delay's it would delay about 10 seconds or more after the click, start loading the page (web browser still not in ready state) and render but not relinquish control to the user until much later, sometime 5 seconds after the render.  So I got tired of this and downloaded Chrome.

Guess what, Chrome works like a champ.

Anyone else experience this?

JP Cowboy Coders Unite!

Thursday, October 10, 2013 1:56 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You can post feedback to the IETeam at http://connect.microsoft.com/ie

To troubleshoot consumer issues post to http://answers.microsoft.com

I suppose you have already troubleshooted by running in no-Addons mode?

Regards.

Rob^_^

Thursday, October 10, 2013 2:41 AM
  • Yes the issues are not add on related.  I posted here because folks like you are experts.  For now at least Chrome is the solution for me.  I find it interesting that IE 11 is the only browser allowed on 8.1, I tried yesterday to install IE 10 and 9, but the install won't allow it.  

JP Cowboy Coders Unite!

Friday, October 11, 2013 3:06 AM
  • Hi,

the forum topic is html, css and scripting for website development.

If you join up at connect you can download and run IEDiag to provide feedback to the IETeam about you non html, css or scripting issue.

Rob^_^

Friday, October 11, 2013 6:51 AM
  • Thanks Rob.

JP Cowboy Coders Unite!

Friday, October 11, 2013 4:58 PM
  • Same here... Windows 8.1 slowed down my pc. I hope this will change after some internal optimizations made by the OS if they exist. All programs start much slower. I felt like 20-30% slower than with 8.0. Did the testers at MS notice this before start offering this upgrade?
    Friday, October 18, 2013 4:45 PM
  • I discounted this problem being related to the OS, even though there are some issues there too.  

IE11  as of 18/OCt/2013 is clunky and slow.  It can't render Javascipt fast enough, gets confused, dies and restarts pages automatically and sometimes just becomes unresponsive.  

For example if I come to this very forum where I am typing this message now, I cannot click on anything for about 5 to 10 seconds, until the ready state of the browser settles down.  It eventually gets there but the wait is long.

Chrome does not have these issues as I had to install it because MSFT won't allow any other MSFT browser version to be installed on 8.1

JP Cowboy Coders Unite!

Friday, October 18, 2013 5:25 PM
  • Hi,

"IE11  as of 18/OCt/2013 is clunky and slow.  It can't render Javascipt fast enough, gets confused, dies and restarts pages automatically and sometimes just becomes unresponsive."

do you have some example links where this occurs.... apart from MSDN forums.

What version of Java RTE do you have installed? are you using Applet or Object tags.

Rob^_^

Saturday, October 19, 2013 3:48 AM
  • I'm having the same issue.  I just loaded 8.1 earlier this week.  After loading 8.1 first google searches weren't rendering correctly (as described in multiple other forums/blogs etc).  I fixed this by deleting my cache, history, etc as suggested by someone.  Now the searches render perfectly but gmail will NOT load in standard view.  It just hangs on the progress bar screen.  Multiple other sites (including this one) are taking excruciating long to load.
    Sunday, October 20, 2013 3:11 PM
  • I've been using 8.1 RTM for a few months now on various PCs. Interestingly enough with some 8.1 PCs IE11 runs simply flawlessly. However on a few other 8.1 PCs IE11 does exactly what folks are saying here. In fact it's split almost 50/50 on performance - some 8.1 PCs run IE11 great, some 8.1 PCs run IE11 like crap.
    Monday, October 21, 2013 1:31 PM
  • A further update on this - manually running IE11 64-bit is much faster than IE11 32-bit, likely due to fewer plugins. Running 64-bit IE11 provides a better experience for me at the moment.
    Monday, October 21, 2013 1:52 PM
  • Another comment - seems disabling hardware-accelerated rendering on some PCs seems to help. Tools, Internet Options, Advanced, "Use Software Rendering Instead of GPU Rendering" right near the top.

Doug

Thursday, October 24, 2013 4:58 PM
  • Due to my job requirements I have switched to Chrome for the moment.  I did check the IE 11 version which is:

Notice the check mark on install new versions automatically.  Maybe this will self-heal over time.  I can't believe just us few here are having this same problem.

One possible problem is this:  Lync Browser Helper add-on shows incompatible, but I can't figure out how to remove it because it won't allow it!

JP Cowboy Coders Unite!

Friday, October 25, 2013 3:45 AM
  • Good morning,

I spent a few days trying to isolate what exactly causes this, across six different Windows 8.1 systems (three having this issue, three not). Here's what I did to fully resolve this behavior:

1) Check/update video drivers (and Windows updates, etc., remember IE11 supports GPU rendering)

2) Reset IE

3) Install newest Java, if needed/desired

4) Reboot

5) (important) Check the items in your Favorites Bar. If you have them enabled (visible) in the browser, in my test cases, the three PCs with IE 11 slowness stemmed from having items in the Favorites Bar that had a icon they could not access. Very strange, since such behavior did not exhibit itself in Windows 8. Deleting them, moving them, recreating them did the trick.

IE 11 is fast again! Hope it helps.

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 12:47 PM
  • Setting "Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering" under Accelerated graphics, appears to have made things faster.

IE11 is still slower than IE10.  So the apparent "scripting lag" was really a "Graphics rendering lag".  Funny that for my machine, software rendering is faster. 

Will post back in a few days.  Am hoping there will be no more crashes, slowness and even the browser reloading pages automatically for me (when I didn't want it to do that).  This setting took me a month to find.  Thanks MSFT! 

JP Cowboy Coders Unite!

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 3:58 AM
  • Another comment - seems disabling hardware-accelerated rendering on some PCs seems to help. Tools, Internet Options, Advanced, "Use Software Rendering Instead of GPU Rendering" right near the top.

Doug

Yes Doug, this made a large difference for me.  Still now what IE10 was but much better.  Thanks!

JP Cowboy Coders Unite!

Thursday, November 21, 2013 9:12 PM
  • A further update on this - manually running IE11 64-bit is much faster than IE11 32-bit, likely due to fewer plugins. Running 64-bit IE11 provides a better experience for me at the moment.
    How would we load up the IE11 64 bit version?

JP Cowboy Coders Unite!

Thursday, November 21, 2013 9:13 PM
  • I hope this helps..I did not know that windows 8.1 has antivirus and malware protection built in.   (An upgraded version of windows defender) I installed a few different programs, one at a time.. panda cloud just disappeared after a few weeks,??. All other programs gave me issues.. took them out. all was ok. then I installed a malware program and the problem came back. uninstalled program. now web pages fly open. also when I tried to trouble shoot the issue, I received a message that windows could not detect my proxy.. I am not using one.. Hope this helps
    Sunday, November 24, 2013 5:11 PM
  • I agree!

Thanks, Doug

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 12:24 AM
  • After fighting with the whole Windows 8.1 and IE11 anti-experience, I am giving up and going back to some other version of IE and Windows.

Thanks MSFT for this major quality blunder on your part.

JP Cowboy Coders Unite!

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 10:55 PM
  • Turns out MSFT is hiding a secret from us.  They and Intel have not covered all Graphic chipsets with driver updates. This is straight from Intel's site, but even MSFT doesn't have updates for all the chipsets below.  If you, like me have one of those in right column saying NO, then you either need to wait or get a new Laptop.

Which Intel graphics products have drivers for the Windows 8* and Windows 8.1* operating systems?

Intel® Graphics: Windows 8 driver available? Windows 8.1 driver available?
    4th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors with Intel® Iris™ Pro Graphics 5200 Yes Yes
    4th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors with Intel® Iris™ Graphics 5100 Yes Yes
    4th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors with Intel® HD Graphics 5000 Yes Yes
    4th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors with Intel® HD Graphics 4600 Yes Yes
    4th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors with Intel® HD Graphics 4400 Yes Yes
    4th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors with Intel® HD Graphics 4200 Yes Yes
    3rd Generation Intel® Core™ Processors with Intel® HD Graphics 4000 Yes Yes
    3rd Generation Intel® Core™ Processors with Intel® HD Graphics 2500 Yes Yes
    2nd Generation Intel® Core™ Processors with Intel® HD Graphics 3000/2000 Yes No
    Intel® Atom™ Processor Z2760 with Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Yes (from computer manufacturer only) Yes (from computer manufacturer only)
    Intel® Core™ Processors with Intel® HD Graphics Yes<sup>1</sup> (from Microsoft Windows Update only) No
    Intel® Celeron® Processors 700/800/B700/B800/G400/G500 Series (formerly codenamed Sandy Bridge) with Intel® HD Graphics Yes No
    Intel® Celeron® Processors 900/1000/G1000 Series (formerly codenamed Ivy Bridge) with Intel® HD Graphics Yes Yes
    Intel® Celeron® Processors 2000 Series (formerly codenamed Haswell) with Intel® HD Graphics Yes Yes
    Intel® Celeron® Processors J1000/N2000 Series (formerly codenamed Bay Trail M/D) with Intel® HD Graphics Yes Yes (64-bit only)
    Intel® Celeron® Processors P4000/U3000 Series (formerly codenamed Arrandale) with Intel® HD Graphics Yes<sup>1</sup> (from Microsoft Windows Update only) No
    Intel® G41/G43/G45/Q43/Q45 Express Chipsets Yes<sup>1</sup> (from Microsoft Windows Update only) No
    Intel® Pentium® Processors 900/B900/G600/G800 Series (formerly codenamed Sandy Bridge) with Intel® HD Graphics Yes No
    Intel® Pentium® Processors 2000/G2000/G2100 Series (formerly codenamed Ivy Bridge) with Intel® HD Graphics Yes Yes
    Intel® Pentium® Processors 3000/G3000 Series (formerly codenamed Haswell) with Intel® HD Graphics Yes Yes
    Intel® Pentium® Processors G6000/P6000/U5000 Series (formerly codenamed Arrandale/Clarkdale) with Intel® HD Graphics Yes<sup>1 </sup>(from Microsoft Windows Update only) No
    Intel® Pentium® Processors J2000/N3000 Series (formerly codenamed Bay Trail M/D) with Intel® HD Graphics Yes Yes (64-bit only)
    Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family Yes<sup>1</sup> (from Microsoft Windows Update only) No

JP Cowboy Coders Unite!

Saturday, November 30, 2013 3:25 AM
  • So I've reloaded to Windows 8.  Wow thought I was losing my mind there for a while, sure is nice to have a working computer.  Where's the QA work gone at MSFT?

JP Cowboy Coders Unite!

Monday, December 09, 2013 2:25 AM
  • Since I made the mistake of updating to Windows 8.1 my productivity fell tremendously. Using computer became a nightmare and a drag. Nothing works, everything is slow. Neither Internet Explorer or Chrome work properly. Each page takes forever to load. I should sue Microsoft for falsely advertising the advantages of upgrading to Windows 8.1. They obviously must have been very aware of the problems with windows 8.1. Besides, clearly all the solutions offered, in all the pages I have found people complaining about windows 8.1 being slow, are desperate attempts to make sense of the shit that is windows 8.1. The reality is painfully simple; I had windows 8, my computer, which is a top of the line ridiculously expensive Sony Vaio worked wonderfully. I updated to Windows 8.1 and it fucked up everything. Now, even writing e-mails feels like pulling teeth. The worse part is that there is no accountability in the computer industry. They due this kind of shit and can get away with it. You go back to last Fall and people, all over the internet were reporting the same problem. And yet, Microsoft kept advertising the advantages of updating to Windows 8.1.
    Thursday, January 30, 2014 5:28 AM
  • JP,

Did you find a solution to your windows IE 11 freezing? I have to use Chrome and I actually find it very fast.

My IE11 freezes on some sites not others. I tried unistalling adobe flash and java as well as disabling all add ons. I even went as far as replacing  video card all to no avail. All those fixes reported do not work on my machine. 

My machine is latest hardware.  Windows 8.1 is slower and IE 11 continues to freeze. Ya know, my next machine I am going to try a MAC.  All my other products are apple, might as well change my main rig to an Apple ecosystem entirely.

My other machine has windows 7 and is much quicker and doesn't freeze with IE.

• Edited by SunnyJeff Tuesday, April 15, 2014 10:08 PM
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 10:06 PM
  • Well before I reloaded Windows 8.0 I did find something that helped the IE11 bugs...  which was to go to properties and change the graphics rendering to NOT be hardware, which I think is the default.  Other than that I'm happy as a lark now because I'm at least two years away from trying out Windows 8.1 

JP Cowboy Coders Unite!

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 11:38 PM
  • I have a new HP Box which is experiencing similar issue. Any browser works ok initially but after an hour or two it slows to a crawl. IE, Firefox, Chrome all slow. Closing the browser and reopening clears the problem. I have uninstalled Adobe Flash and Player which seemed to create its own set of problems. Hope they find a solution for this soon.

Monday, April 28, 2014 5:19 PM
  • Yup. I ran Fire Fox until the recent "upgrade" which turned out to be a downgrade. They changed the user interface and my number one pet peeve is that within one week of learning one interface .... BAM!!!! ..... they change everything. So I went back to IE (most recent and current version, no idea what it is as there seems to be a new ne every other day) after a few years of not using it .... O.M.G!!!! What junk! Slow ... sssllloooowww ..... ssssssssssslllllllllooooooooowwwwwwww ....... videos crash on youtube, I constantly lose connections ... I have to defrag several times an hour .... and no, no virus or anything like that. This experience with IE was immediate after switching and I've ran half a dozen full scans from two different programs. I'll try Chrome. I did try Chrome about 5 or 6 years ago and it was crap, too. Maybe they've improved it. If I have to learn a new interface it may as well be with a browser that actually works and doesn't hurt my machine. And, no, I'm not going to join yet another group and post my symptoms, etc. AFAIC .... IF ..... MS is going to force me into something and won't let me revert back to an earlier version THAT ACTUALLY WORKS ... then .... MS should make damn well sure that there are no or few issues or bugs BEFORE ROLLING IT OUT! And if "that's impossible" then too bad. I don't get paid for my input so deal.
    Thursday, May 22, 2014 6:05 AM
  • Update:

5/27/2014- After reloading Windows 8.1 with latest service PAKS I'm up and running.  However, this was the first time in my Windows career that I ever considered tossing the entire platform for a MAC Book Air.  In fact, I'm still not convinced that the new MSFT could give a rip.

JP Cowboy Coders Unite!

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 2:31 PM
  • my question is: With this being a problem, can you revert back to windows 8.0 to solve the problem. My computer tells me that Adobe Flash Player is not activated and or is out of date when in fact it is FP 11.

Also, the settings tells me it is enabled. So, What gives.

Thursday, June 12, 2014 2:58 PM
  • Word yo! Every thing you stated is how I would state my experience. Chrome is much better. For a while I thought I had some sort of rootkit in my system. Peace.
    Thursday, July 10, 2014 4:13 PM