none
IE 7 won't play mp4's

Question

• Hello everyone, my first post here. I want to make a webpage that will play an mp4 I have. The file will play fine when I use a file:// URI to link to it. However, when using the HTTP protocol to access it directly, it doesn't work. Let me just say I know it's not a problem with the HTTP path, becuase I can point the browser to a .pdf or .doc file and it will open as it should.

So my idea was to create an HTML container for the mp4, maybe the browser for some reason had more trouble identifying the mp4 when using the HTTP protocol. But now the html I am using is not working. I use code I got from the quicktime HTML / Scripting guide, just basically copying and pasting, but no go. Since it was written a while ago for IE 6 which needed so many hacks to get to work with any website, I wonder if the method of embedding movies has changed.

If anyone has any clue how I can get my mp4's to play using quicktime through IE 7, that would be awesome... thanks!
    Wednesday, January 17, 2007 6:44 PM

Answers

• Found the problem... it was an IIS server issue. The server needed to be configured to recognize all files with the mp4 extension as having the "video/mp4" MIME type. Although I'm somewhat perplexed why this needs to be set in the IIS server, when other extensions like .pdf do not.
    Thursday, January 18, 2007 12:31 AM

All replies

• Found the problem... it was an IIS server issue. The server needed to be configured to recognize all files with the mp4 extension as having the "video/mp4" MIME type. Although I'm somewhat perplexed why this needs to be set in the IIS server, when other extensions like .pdf do not.
    Thursday, January 18, 2007 12:31 AM
  • In the HTTP protocol the file extension doesn't count at all, only the Content-Type header but IE6, and probably IE7, look at the extension and also sniff the data to guess the content, something that probably should never have been done.

This means that if IIS doesn't recognise the file type and sends it as (what ever the default is), IE6/IE7 will then try to guess the file type, but that is dependant on what types its programmed to recognise.
    Thursday, January 18, 2007 3:47 PM
  • So does that mean I should add the MIME types for all the other types of media we might use to the IIS server settings? SWF, PDF, AVI etc...?
    Thursday, January 18, 2007 5:45 PM
  • You can see which MIME types are configured by following this article:-
    http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/f/?en/library/0fd02d45-7f1c-4dd9-acd7-495aa5dc07b41033.mspx

According to this article:-
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/326965
    IIS6.0 doesn't serve unknown MIME types by default unless you have added a wildcard mapping.

Well you need to add them if they aren't already present in the default set.

Friday, January 19, 2007 4:00 PM