none
Internet Explorer 9 + Windows XP Service Pack 3

General discussion

• Would it be possible to put Internet Explorer 9 on Windows XP Home Edition or Professional with Service Pack 3--officially?

Windows XP is still a popular OS by usage, though Windows 7 has been widely accepted as the OS of choice, and Windows XP still is an option on most notebooks. Secondly, would Microsoft ever accept porting IE9 to Windows XP--and if not, why? I'm genuinely interested in this--and run Windows XP.

I thought that I might add I have tried to install this on Windows XP with Service Pack 3 installed, after which I get the message/dialog reading "Windows Internet Explorer Platform Preview does not support any operating system earlier than Windows Vista SP2." I thought I might add Virtual PC said for Home Edition that it "wasn't supported", yet it still ran. In this case, is there a way to still get it to run or is this Microsoft's method of saying: "This product does not run on Windows XP. Please quit the installer and install on a supported system" in plain English terms, if you will.

Thursday, July 15, 2010 7:56 PM

All replies

• Hi,

NO. You can run XP virtualization on Win7/Vista but not the other way around.

Regards.

Rob^_^
    Thursday, July 15, 2010 9:52 PM
  • Thanks. I just wanted to know, but know I've heard it straight from MSDN that Internet Explorer 9 is not supported on Windows XP, in which case I'll keep IE8 and use Safari 5 on the side for websites that need HTML5 in the future.
    Thursday, July 15, 2010 10:20 PM
  • I would suggest Opera 10x.... I have just been comparing the browsers... Opera 10x is the most compliant so far.... HTML 5 input elements... Safari/chrome - are almost there... IE9 PP ... not yet....

Opera's Validator Tool is the bees knees and the W3c validation portal is now accepting system doctypes (though there are some issues).

You should not be driving your development by the browser YOU want to use though... first stage of the SDLC is requirements gathering... What browsers are your site visitors using now and in the near future?

You can keep abreast of IE9 PP enhancements at the IEBlog

Add http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/rss.xml to your reader.

We are not MSFT employees here... volunteers and enthusiasts. You can comment directly to the IE Team at their Blog.

Regards.

Rob^_^
    Friday, July 16, 2010 12:08 AM
  • Well, there just isn't going to be a supported way of doing it.  IE9, most likely, relies on a lot of OS enhancements in Vista and Win7 that just aren't there in Win XP.  IE is part of Windows, shipping it down-level has always been a non-trivial task and, quite frankly, a bit of a hack.

That said, if you don't mind potentially destroying your Windows install, you could try removing the OS checks from the MSI and seeing what happens.  Load the MSI up in Orca and in the InstallExecuteSequence table you can muck with the WindowsBuild checks.  However, I really wouldn't recommend doing that.

Friday, July 16, 2010 4:56 PM
  • If I cannot use IE 9 ( on Windows XP) I will just dump IE * and use Chrome. To heck with Microsoft if they abandon us.
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 4:27 PM
  • See ya later!
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 11:47 PM
  • IE9 uses Direct 2D which is not in xp so yer your right.
    Thursday, September 09, 2010 2:17 AM
  • Pretty sad if folks resort to hanging on to XP for so long. Customer that I have put both OS's side by side with Windows 7. Their blown away by how responsive the system is, and how they don't have to "hunt" for compatable drivers for their hardware. Xp was a good OS. But it time to move on.
    Thursday, September 09, 2010 2:58 AM
  • My system is about 8 - 9 years old and it would not operate Windows 7 so that is not an option ,until I buy a new system, Since I have upgraded some of my system it does what I want and for awhile more I will not be forced to buy another computer until I want to.
    Thursday, September 09, 2010 3:38 PM
  • I might would upgrade if I trusted Microsoft a little more. The phoning home, stealth update of installer leaves me with a feeling of Microsoft serving thier interests and not the buyers/users/mine. With loss of user control on Vista, locked down media components, loss of fax, Toolbars,etc just leaves me not wanting to support the company that doesn't support me. I use XP and IE6 and fear I will have regret after upgrading. I had Vista on my 2008 laptop and hated the UAC nonsense. I recently tried to install IE7 and it asked if I wanted to install updates, I said NO and unchecked the box, WHAT HAPPENED? it went to business of installing updates. I hated Vista, I've even bought windows 7 for "someday" but I resent a company making my choices for me and serving software/media/hardware companies on software design rather than the majority that buys and uses the product. I resent a company pushing to end IE6 so they can see the buy cycle and upgrade from consumers. Sorry Microsoft but I don't want to be treated as a 4 yr old with dumbed down OS controls and loss of MY PC rights to change things on MY machine. I shouldn't have to take a class on ways to get around the OS to accomplish tweaks that I want.

Thanks for your time.

Thursday, March 17, 2011 2:55 PM
  • Im totaly right with you :D! You know what? Get a linux and become free :) im using ubuntu for 9 months, since windows 7 sended my batery to the trash because of software issues. Will microsoft pay-me for the damage? I bellieve not! So linux to the power! Is linux perfect? No, no O.S. is but it is getting better day by day!

Saturday, March 26, 2011 11:01 AM
  • When I tried Opera 10x, I found Safari 5, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and IE8,9 to be way better than Opera 10x! Opera is very slow compared to others.

Just my opinion,

NYBOII123

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 10:43 PM
  • Im totaly right with you :D! You know what? Get a linux and become free :) im using ubuntu for 9 months, since windows 7 sended my batery to the trash because of software issues. Will microsoft pay-me for the damage? I bellieve not! So linux to the power! Is linux perfect? No, no O.S. is but it is getting better day by day!

Yup, Linux is pretty good, but I would prefer a Mac or PC over it.
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 10:45 PM

• a6a609f2-a5d1-4d88-8ac2-7a58a169f554 hi
    Thursday, May 05, 2011 11:34 AM
  • Pretty sad if folks resort to hanging on to XP for so long. Customer that I have put both OS's side by side with Windows 7. Their blown away by how responsive the system is, and how they don't have to "hunt" for compatable drivers for their hardware. Xp was a good OS. But it time to move on.

Running xp and windows 7 xp on the same hardware, I would guess xp would beat 7, although I've never actually proved this. To think that an individual would buy a much more powerful machine just to run IE9 is ludicrous.

A simple css/layout test on multiple browsers can be run on browsershots or browsercam. It's not an interactive test and can't test anything behind a login or firewall, though.

My well optimized xp machine with all the unnecessary services set to manual is quite responsive. Although doing so requires being a technical sort of person.

Saturday, May 14, 2011 6:24 PM
  • When I tried Opera 10x, I found Safari 5, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and IE8,9 to be way better than Opera 10x! Opera is very slow compared to others.

Just my opinion,

NYBOII123

Opera 9 has them all beat. I prefer it for regular browsing. Also it's the last version that had a "real" keyboard-accessible menu.

Chrome I use for google docs.

Saturday, May 14, 2011 6:33 PM
  • The main reason people are still on XP is they tried Vista and noticed how much slower it was with GDI.

Vista 1 had terrible 2D performance when compared to XP. That is the main reason i stayed with XP for so long.

Now i dual boot Win7 and XP and couldn't be happier.

Sunday, May 15, 2011 2:21 AM
  • Hello!

Codebasis: Microsoft Windows Internet Explorer 6

Addon: IE-Multisearch.exe

Supplementary: Microsoft Windows Internet Explorer 9 Downloadmanager, Inprivate, HTML5.......

done new versionnumber with regedit and done a Ribbonui with Visual Studio.

you must wait longer for close all Bugs.

runing a latest Servicepack of Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows 2008, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7 all Systems 

What you did with this Solution?

Dual Boot from W7 to Windows XP is your solution. Don't regarding other peaples are happy or unhappy.

Thursday, May 19, 2011 7:19 PM
  • Well, if you want to say the heck with Microsoft, then get rid of Windows all together and use another OS, I mean, that's another solution I've come up with, if you can't use IE9,  just use one of the more updated versions of Chrome or use IE8, I mean, IE8 and IE9 are pretty well the same thing.
    Sunday, May 22, 2011 5:19 PM
  • Well, how much RAM does your computer have? And how fast is your processor?
    Sunday, May 22, 2011 5:20 PM
  • Well if you really want to prove if Windows XP would beat Windows 7, set them up in a Dual-Boot option. it's very easily done!
    Sunday, May 22, 2011 5:21 PM
  • Hello!

not garantie for damages.

download and installing Internet Explorer 9 on Windows 7

copy on USB Drive Internet Explorer 9

paste Internet Explorer 9 on Internet Explorer folders in Windows XP.

And testing the Internet Acees of Internet Explorer.

Are you have a Windows XP Pro Setup CD?

Saturday, June 04, 2011 2:51 PM
  • I have downgraded to XP pro for my office. All 8 computers are new hardware and I put them together.

Intel hardware chips and cpu. Example: i7-870, Asus p7p55d-e, Evga Gt 520, WD Black 6.0 sata and G.Skill ddr3.

The drivers are not hard to locate and once it is installed properly, Xp Pro is so fast it is very helpful for business.

I use both Chrome and IE8 for the office. Chrome is a faster browser but not compliant for business.

Joeopis

Monday, June 27, 2011 1:58 PM
  • There's quite a few reasons people still use windows XP. Compatibility issues, problems which occur on vista/7 which do NOT occur on XP. If you have a fresh install of 7 and vista and xp, of course they're all going to run around the same speed. All fresh installs do. What counts is the longterm performance. XP is better than vista and 7 in that regards simply due to the fact it doesn't have as many fancy gizmos and features, so it uses less resources.
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 11:36 PM
  • Thank you so much, you just cured a huge Headache for me ! Safari 5 is the Answer !
    Wednesday, April 25, 2012 1:52 AM
  • I would say AMEN to that
    Thursday, October 18, 2012 8:09 PM

I am saying to HECK with IE9. Google Chrome and Window XP works pretty dam good for me.
    Thursday, October 18, 2012 8:13 PM
  • I use Lynx and am very happy with it.
        http://lynx.browser.org/ 
    Wednesday, January 09, 2013 10:50 PM