none
Fonts

Question

• Hej guys!

Now I'm asking myself if there is any way to force font installation on the user PC when he visits the web page, I know for buch of solutions for fonts that are not available on the users PC but what if I want to have this and only this font and it must be text and not picture. Is there any way to do this, or is there a way to stop the user from accessing the web page, saying you do not have these fonts installed, please install them to..bla bla bla. Thank you!

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 4:50 PM

All replies

• Hi there,

I can't think of a way to do this short of using an ActiveX control or a BHO.

Speaking only for myself, isn't this the sort of thing we're *not* supposed to do as web designers?  We get to suggest certain design choices, but if the uyser has a really good reason for not wanting to follow our design guidance, aren't we supposed to respect that?

Personally, I would reconsider such a requirement.  Not everyone uses the same browser to access content.

Hope this helps...

-- Lance

Thursday, September 27, 2007 11:28 PM
  • Hi,

I remember doing it for IE 5.5, but I could not find any documentation on MSDN. Lance's reply is the best solution.

At a pinch you could try a different media for your presentation - Flash, Silverlight, PDF or lol, a jpg image. (I have seen web sites that used images i/o html, waloc)

Regards.

Monday, October 01, 2007 6:36 AM
  • Despite what the other posters have recommended, provided you have the rights to distribute the font, AND that your users will be using Microsoft IE, you can have your users auto load and use a specific font if it's not available on his PC.  Example:

Embedded Fonts
    <STYLE TYPE="text/css">
    <!-- /* $WEFT */
      @font-face { font-family: Junicode; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; src: url(fonts/JUNICOD3.eot); }
      @font-face { font-family: Junicode; font-style: normal; font-weight: bold; src: url(fonts/JUNICOD1.eot); }
      @font-face { font-family: Junicode; font-style: oblique; font-weight: normal; src: url(fonts/JUNICOD2.eot); }
    -->

It was a long time ago that I did this.  I think you must prepare the fonts using the WEFT tool.  If I remember correctly, the WEFT tool was rather picky and the slightest instruction not obeyed will produce no error messages but your file won't work.

More at http://www.microsoft.com/typography/web/embedding/weft3/default.htm.  The example pages there are impressive.  Handwriting and other fanciful fonts simply render seamlessly.

Hope this helps.

-kk

Monday, October 01, 2007 12:36 PM