none
redirect modal dialog problem ie 8

Question

• Hi everyone,

I am using ie 8 to open a modal dialog that is required to redirect itself to another url. My problem is that the modal dialog always opens the new URL in a new window. below are the code statements that I've tried to solve the problem:

window.open("www.microsoft.com");
    window.location.replace("www.microsoft.com");
    window.navigate("www.microsoft.com");
    I've tried also the location property of the document object with no different result

does anyone know a solution for this problem?
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 5:05 AM

All replies

• Hello there!

I had the same problem before, but I was using a form. When we have a modal dialog, the submit result opens a new window just like your problem (I think it's the same problem). It was solved when I named the window and seted a target to the form.

window.name = "testPage";
    (...)
    <form name="frmTest" action="/testaction" method="post" target="testPage">

It worked fine.
    • Proposed as answer by João Soares Wednesday, February 10, 2010 12:13 PM
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 12:10 PM
  • Hi :)

It worked fine by just naming setting the name of the window and then calling window.open() passing it the name of the window, very much like the following code segemnt:

window.name="SomeWindowName";
    window.open("www.microsoft.com","SomeWindowName");
    thank you very much for revealing the solution :)
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 12:30 PM
  • Thanks this solved our problem as well. This really should be reported as a bug as when the target is set as _self it does not work.

Saturday, November 20, 2010 4:23 AM
  • hello friend how to resolve the same issue when i am not using form and using contentplaceholder how do i set the target

i am just wondering...please let me know thanks in advance

Thursday, December 30, 2010 7:04 PM