none
XP "Internet Explorer Application Compatibility VPC Image" has expired

Question

• According to the download page the XP image expired on 4 April 2012... does anyone know who to contact to arrange an updated version? Thanks.

Windows XP Image

Expires: This image will shutdown and become completely unusable on April 4, 2012.

Thursday, April 05, 2012 10:17 AM

Answers

• @Rich

I pinged Redmond this morning.(late afternoon WA time)... no response yet as my contact is not directly responsible for the download site, but they will be aware now. They should know which door to knock on.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 1:39 AM
  • My updated images (XP/ SP3 IE8) are working fine. Usually an expiry notice NAG will appear after an hour of continious use which is plenty of time for unit testing.

Try running Windows Update on your images to upgrade them to the minimum configuration of XP SP3/IE 8. You should also download and install the DirectX updates.

You can download fully licensed XP iso images on your MSDN account and mount them on your choice of VM ware or if you only want to test your websites use SuperPreview which can be downloaded from your MSDN account or from the Expression web site.

this is a public forum... we do not work for nor represent MS, so we cannot tell you who to contact... there is a contact us link at the bottom of the download page. I would image that new images will be built in due coarse.

this forum is for questions about html, css and scripting for website developers using msie browsers.

Rob^_^

Thursday, April 05, 2012 10:23 PM
  • Well. I still get the same expired error (just downloaded the image from http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=11575 ).So the Windows XP image is still not yet updated. Can we get this fixed?

The XP images are working since the weekend, I'm testing it at this precise moment.

MD5 5fdc919f57fbd6a9965c128aaf64bd04 *Windows_XP_IE6.exe 390,4MB

(They keep the same URL though http://download.microsoft.com/download/B/7/2/B72085AE-0F04-4C6F-9182-BF1EE90F5273/Windows_XP_IE6.exe)

Monday, April 16, 2012 12:10 PM

All replies

• My updated images (XP/ SP3 IE8) are working fine. Usually an expiry notice NAG will appear after an hour of continious use which is plenty of time for unit testing.

Try running Windows Update on your images to upgrade them to the minimum configuration of XP SP3/IE 8. You should also download and install the DirectX updates.

You can download fully licensed XP iso images on your MSDN account and mount them on your choice of VM ware or if you only want to test your websites use SuperPreview which can be downloaded from your MSDN account or from the Expression web site.

this is a public forum... we do not work for nor represent MS, so we cannot tell you who to contact... there is a contact us link at the bottom of the download page. I would image that new images will be built in due coarse.

this forum is for questions about html, css and scripting for website developers using msie browsers.

Rob^_^

Thursday, April 05, 2012 10:23 PM
  • I can confirm that this does in fact *no longer work*

My downloaded copy was working early last week,   now get an expired mesage on startup

"The evaluation period for this copy of Windows has ended. Windows cannot start. To continue using...."

Trying to enter the valid username and password loops back to the message above.

Would be nice to have an updated version,  this is the 2nd time I've downloaded,   can't find a new version on MS Downloads yet.

IETester works to a point http://www.my-debugbar.com/wiki/IETester/HomePage,  but I find it's not the same as the IE6 VPC :-)

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 12:57 PM
  • @Alex

I am getting no prompts..loged in as Administrator, not IETester (IETester is an old userName on earlier images, not the tool from Debug bar). by chance are you using the Home versions of Windows 7. I think you can safely update the VPC IE6 image to IE8 SP3 (run windows update).... IE6 has a significant market share in China only now. Most of that is for Maxthon browsers.

Rob^_^

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 9:30 PM
  • FYI I have contacted Microsoft via the web, who told me to call consumer tech support with my "new product idea". The person I talked to at tech support was helpful but is emailing another team. No one I've talked to has yet taken responsibility for resolving the so I fear that this request might be lost in the system.

If anyone has an MSDN subscription they might have better channels open to them for reporting the issue...

Rich

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 12:17 AM
  • @Rich

I pinged Redmond this morning.(late afternoon WA time)... no response yet as my contact is not directly responsible for the download site, but they will be aware now. They should know which door to knock on.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 1:39 AM
  • @Rich

Thanks Rob!
    Wednesday, April 11, 2012 2:03 AM
  • The web page seems updated(they did it on April 12), but the Win XP image is still the old one.

https://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=11575

• Edited by Fer UPB Thursday, April 12, 2012 1:22 PM
    Thursday, April 12, 2012 1:19 PM
  • Hi Fer,

I have no problems with the old image on Window7 SP1 Enterprise edition... not sure of home editions of windows 7

I ran windows update to upgrade the image to IE8... not sure why I do not have the expiry nag.... MSFT have marked my reply as the answer.. but I have not heard back from them that they have released new images....

Perhaps you just need to install the IE8 updates.... I've stopped testing in IE6 and 7 as IE8 is the most used version on XP/SP3 and it has Quirks and IE7 emulation which is sufficient for web page testing.

Only India and China have significant market shares still using IE6. At a pinch you can use a dedicated machine (you should be able to pick up a used XP laptop for peanuts).

Regards.

Rob^_^

Thursday, April 12, 2012 8:48 PM
  • The web page seems updated(they did it on April 12), but the Win XP image is still the old one.

https://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=11575

Yes I can confirm that the updated web page still hosts an out-of-date image. The web page has been updated. Of the XP image it now says:

"...fully patched to April 2012... This image will expire and become completely unusable on July 26, 2012."

But the image, when run, doesn't get past the login screen. It says:

"The evaluation period for this copy of Windows had ended. Windows cannot start. To continue using Windows, please purchase and install a retail copy of the product."

So something has gone wrong with the update process. Maybe the page was updated but not the image, or something of that nature.

For future reference, the download link I used for the image I tested was:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/B/7/2/B72085AE-0F04-4C6F-9182-BF1EE90F5273/Windows_XP_IE6.exe

And the MD5 checksum of the self-extracting archive was:

794c134a55624114444ccce0dfce14be

I'll probably want to see these updated before I try again.

Friday, April 13, 2012 6:36 AM
  • Only India and China have significant market shares still using IE6.

Also certain corporate environments can be a bit behind. Personally I'm looking to test IE7 on XP anyhow.

Rich

Friday, April 13, 2012 6:39 AM
  • Hi Rich,

I pinged them again Friday and they confer with you... I will post back if I get confirmation that they have sinced fixed it. Regards.

Rob^_^

Friday, April 13, 2012 7:32 PM
  • Thanks Rob, that sounds great.
    Friday, April 13, 2012 9:10 PM
  • The images have changed, I haven't tested them yet, but the file size it's different.

Just to give you the heads up.

Monday, April 16, 2012 12:46 AM
  • they must be working weekends or came in especially to push it out. thx.

Rob^_^

• Proposed as answer by icefiresr Monday, April 16, 2012 7:56 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by icefiresr Monday, April 16, 2012 7:56 AM
    Monday, April 16, 2012 1:28 AM
  • Well. I still get the same expired error (just downloaded the image from http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=11575 ).So the Windows XP image is still not yet updated. Can we get this fixed?
    Monday, April 16, 2012 7:57 AM

The XP images are working since the weekend, I'm testing it at this precise moment.

(They keep the same URL though http://download.microsoft.com/download/B/7/2/B72085AE-0F04-4C6F-9182-BF1EE90F5273/Windows_XP_IE6.exe)

Monday, April 16, 2012 12:10 PM
  • The XP images are working since the weekend, I'm testing it at this precise moment.

I can confirm the XP image is working for me too. Thanks to whoever made the update.

I have one final nit to pick: the download web page probably should mention that the login user name is "IE User", since the username was no longer presented to me when I logged in. (I actually got an out-of-VM prompt from the Virtual PC app, I think.) So Microsoft - if you're listening! - that's one final thing for you to look at.

But I'm happy now, thanks.

Cheers,
    Rich

Monday, April 16, 2012 9:09 PM