none
IE 8 intermittently prints only the first page of a multipage document, using XP

Question

• We have a multi-page document, and only the first page prints - about 25% of the time.   For example, we view the document in IE 8, hit print, and without doing anything else, we hit print 3 more times.  Usually the first print has only the first page, and the remaining 3 have all pages printed.  This can also happen with other print requests too like the 10th or 12th.

One thing that is interesting: when only 1 page prints, the footer where we have Page x of x defined, will say Page 1 of 1.  The others all have Page 1 of 2, Page 2 of 2, etc.    So, some point in the print process it thinks there is only 1 page.

I have an install of IE on my XP desktop, and I never have the issue - all pages always print.   Right now, the issue is showing up on several metaframes.   I have tried several things such as enable/disable add-ons, changing Security Page Settings, in order to get the working install of IE 8 to 'break'. 

The working copy is 8.0.6001.17702IC and at least one of the non-working metaframes it is 8.0.6001.17702 - no IC.

We are going to do some more testing with group policy differences, but I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas or thoughts on the Page 1 of 1??  Also other troubleshooting ideas?

Thursday, February 16, 2012 9:55 PM

Answers

• The working copy is 8.0.6001.17702IC and at least one of the non-working metaframes it is 8.0.6001.17702 - no IC.

Rather than the version of iexplore.exe a more significant detail is probably going to be the version of  its other modules that you have acquired, especially ieframe.dll.   E.g. there is a hotfix patch related to printing which AFAIK has never been integrated into the GDR version, not even in IE9.  So, if you are not on the QFE/LDR track for that module I would suggest you get it, at least for a test.   A problem is that the original hotfix is now obsolete, e.g. superseded by subsequent security patches to the GDR version.  I don't know what would happen if you tried to ask for a more current version.  I suspect you would be billed for a support incident.  To avoid such a possibility one user took the tack of uninstalling his latest cumulative update, finding the appropriate QFE/LDR version for the GDR version he then had and then reinstalled the latest cumulative security update.   Apparently it helped.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie8-windows_other/ie-8-wont-print-complete-page/8c629797-db1c-470c-92af-015e4ea03110?page=9

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, February 20, 2012 7:15 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I take it this is not for a publicly accessible web page that we can test?

Are you using IE Print Templates?

The most probably cause is not an IE issue, but rather a print driver issue or the existance/non existance of a font on the machine...

The difference in IE8 version numbers indicates different OEM builds and computer manufactures... there will be differences in what has been bundled with XP in terms of device drivers and bundled fonts and fluffware.

To rule out unsupported fonts in your web documents/Print templates elther

View>Style>No Style... then test print

or

Tools>Internet Options>General tab, Accessibility button>check "Ignore font styles specified in web pages"... then test print

Helvical fonts (and some other fonts that are bundled with MAC computers) are not supported by IE Browsers...

If those fonts have not been installed on a wintel machine then the browser and browser printer will fall back to times new roman (or whatever is the default font for the user's language preferences)

but if those fonts are installed on a wintel machine and are specified on web pages the browser and browser printer shows whitespace where there would be text.

This seems to be the likely cause in your case. the troubleshooting steps above should confirm this.

the solution is to uninstall those bundled fonts from the faulty machine and to check for updates for your printer drivers at the vendors web sites.

The only addon that has known issues with IE8 and is associated with printing is the Nitro PDF printer Addon...

An old version of the Coupon printer Addon from coupons.com had issues in IE9, but I think has been corrected

It is unlikely that an Addon may be involved....

IE Security Zone settings.... you are grasping at straws....before you forget reset the IE Security Zone settings back to their defaults, or you will become bamboozelled....the next time you have an issue with IE.

Tools>Internet Options>Security tab, click "Reset all zones to default"

HTH.

Rob^_^

• Proposed as answer by IECustomizerMVP Saturday, February 18, 2012 8:34 PM
    Friday, February 17, 2012 5:16 AM
  • No, it is not publicily accessible.  I don't think we are using IE Print Templates - but I'm not familiar with them, so don't want to say for sure.  We are using CSS Stylesheets - and I'm thinking this is not the same.  Is that right?

I tried both things you said to rule out unsupported fonts with View>Style>No Style and Tools>Internet Options>General tab, Accessibility button>check "Ignore font styles specified in web pages".  I was able to reproduce the intermittent printing of only the 1st page, in both cases. 

I have an install of IE 8 on my pc desktop, and I can never get the intermittent printing of only the first page on it.  Any other ideas/testing thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Monday, February 20, 2012 1:54 PM
  • The working copy is 8.0.6001.17702IC and at least one of the non-working metaframes it is 8.0.6001.17702 - no IC.

Rather than the version of iexplore.exe a more significant detail is probably going to be the version of  its other modules that you have acquired, especially ieframe.dll.   E.g. there is a hotfix patch related to printing which AFAIK has never been integrated into the GDR version, not even in IE9.  So, if you are not on the QFE/LDR track for that module I would suggest you get it, at least for a test.   A problem is that the original hotfix is now obsolete, e.g. superseded by subsequent security patches to the GDR version.  I don't know what would happen if you tried to ask for a more current version.  I suspect you would be billed for a support incident.  To avoid such a possibility one user took the tack of uninstalling his latest cumulative update, finding the appropriate QFE/LDR version for the GDR version he then had and then reinstalled the latest cumulative security update.   Apparently it helped.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie8-windows_other/ie-8-wont-print-complete-page/8c629797-db1c-470c-92af-015e4ea03110?page=9

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, February 20, 2012 7:15 PM