none
Internet Explorer not resolving address - Web Page Cannot be displayed?

Question

• Firstly, if this is not the correct forum for this question please advise. Thanks to all for assistance.

For some reason IE7/IE8 has stopped displaying webpages.

I have 2 other laptops connected to my router that have no problems at all and the problem is only on one home computer. I have exhausted the Internet trying to find a solution for this problem but to no avail.
    I can ping www.google.com and I can display webpages within the browser using an IP address only.  Also if I boot into safeboot everything works fine.
    Below are some of the things I have already tried:
    Flush DNS
    NETSH INT IP commands (i think it was called) where a text file was reset
    Uninstalled the network card
    Explicitly referenced other DNS servers from my network connection TCP/IP settings
    Tried Firefox (same problem)
    Start the browser with addon turned off
    Used MSCONFIG disabling all services and start items
    Run sigverif

Can someone please help with this problem?  I will go crazy if I need to rebuild my machine because of this.

Look forward to hearing your suggestions.

Many thanks.

Wednesday, April 22, 2009 9:44 PM

Answers

• A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

I read about a virus that basically redirected major websites to the local address.  When you typed http://www.google.com, the system would try to pull up the webpage for 127.0.0.1 (and if you're running a web server, the local webpage would display.)  The same thing with pinging by host name - it would just ping the local host.

When you pinged google, did the correct IP address show up, or some bogus one?
    Did you try doing a "ipconfig /displaydns" to see if it's the real IP address for google.com?
    • Marked as answer by Brian01010 Thursday, April 23, 2009 4:10 PM
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 3:31 PM