none
context menu & dll - function

Question

• Hi,

is it possible to call a function (located in my toolbar dll) from the Internet Explorer context menu?

My toolbar has a function that makes a login for the user. I want to have an entry in the contextmenu which does the same. Can I use the login function from the DLL

regards MartinI

Tuesday, April 03, 2007 7:35 AM

Answers

• Yes, you can.

The best approach for your situation depends on your answer to this question: do you need to access in-memory state?

If the answer is NO*, you can create a new instance of your ActiveX control to do the work. The popular ieSpell extension provides an example of this type of interaction. (I hope they don't mind me using them as an example.) First, their context menu option is registered against a resource that has been compiled into their DLL.

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MenuExt\&ieSpell Options

(Default) = res://C:\Program Files\ieSpell\iespell.dll/SPELLOPTION.HTM

The compiled resource contains the following script:

<script language="JavaScript" defer>
       try {
        var SpellChecker = new ActiveXObject("ieSpell.ieSpellExtension");
        SpellChecker.ShowOptions(external.menuArguments);
       } catch (e) {
        alert("Exception raised! "+e.message);
       }
     </script>

Notice how they also pass a VARIANT argument to the ShowOptions function (external.menuArguments) that contains the IDispatch of the active window. If you also choose to do this, remember to use VariantClear to release this value.

* If the answer to my earlier question is YES, the problem becomes a little more difficult. One way to address this is to store a pointer to the BHO in a place where it can be retrieved later (presumably by script). IWebBrowser2 provides such a mechanism, PutProperty and GetProperty. Unfortunately, script cannot access this pointer natively because it doesn't have access to the IWebBrowser2 interface of the browser; however, an ActiveX control can. Controls are sited with IObjectWithSite, meaning they are passed a pointer to the IWebBrowser2 interface of the host, and have access to stored properties. Hence, a control can call the BHO directly or act as intermediary between the host and the script. In this latter case, the BHO must be prepared to handle calls from script through an IDispatch interface.

Microsoft released an example of the latter type of control as part of an article entitled Discardable Properties for Your Web Pages... The control was signed, but the certificate expired in 1997. I found perhaps the last remaining copy on the net at https://go.wspan.com/Secure/DLLs/pcache.cab.

Note: there are at least two more ways to accomplish "advanced" communication with a BHO. They are a little more complicated, so I'm saving them for another time. Let me know if either of the approaches I have presented so far sound reasonable to you.

Tuesday, April 03, 2007 6:13 PM