none
IE9 [Run | Save As | Cancel] Dialog Box at bottom --need asap pls ..bypassing User Interaction for Automated Download of Files

Question

• a) What is the official name of that thing

b) What is it.... within the part of the DOM (ie. frame, child?)  Can I access to the buttons programatically from the DOM tree?

c) Silent = True   property of the IE8.0 does not work with IE9.0 ... is there any other method/property to surpress this popup?

d) After seeing gazzilions of public outcry (go back to IE8.0, Opera, Firefox ... garbage solutions), Why would Microsoft throw such a monkey wrench to a programmatic solution that stems out of real life situations and desperation?

Thank you for your help ... I hope you would respond after you have experienced the same issue.

Please do NOT suggest us to Switch Browsers!!!

Thursday, March 08, 2012 3:52 PM

Answers

• A there is no programmatic way. As I said the mini window is not the only download manager. You can write one to take over the downloading, and IE will be knowing nothing about the actual saving location.

B None.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 1:41 PM

All replies

• Hi,

a>Please supply a link to your web site or mashup. Then we'll know what you are talking about. You can also upload screen shots on these forums with your questions.

b> see a

c> see a

d> see a

Regards.

Rob^_^

Thursday, March 08, 2012 6:37 PM
  • Thank you Rob from Sydney

When you are downloading a .PDF or .XLS file by clicking on any link to bring down to your machine thru IE9, you see a narrow frame-like window at the bottom of the the screen with three buttons:

Run     Save As    Cancel

And you think I should show a picture of this? 

Oh, please .... Rob .... what are you guys drinking down there at Aussie land?

Thursday, March 08, 2012 8:17 PM
  • Still waiting for a possible solution, if there is any.
    Friday, March 09, 2012 6:07 PM
  • The download dialog is not part of DOM. In fact the user can install a downloading software which does not tell IE anything about the saving location. I don't know what do you mean "real life situation", but setting the silent property is not something a developer usually do when writing web sites.

Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 12:01 AM
  • For consumer help with IE select the Help>Online Support menu from IE and follow the links for your windows and IE versions.

this is a public forum for web developers using MSIE browsers. Topics covered are html, css and web scripting.

Answer: <sigh>

tools>Internet Options>Security tab, click "Reset all zones to default"

then

Configure Adobe Reader NOT to open PDF documents in the browser...

Start>Adobe Reader>Edit>Preferences>Internet, uncheck "Display PDF in Web Browser"

Regards.

Rob^_^

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 1:11 AM
  • No need to sigh Mr. IECustomizer

The issues is scripting .... actually it is not PDF at all (but could be)

Actually it is downloading hundreds of Zip files with script .... I do it all the time in other locations/sites via XP machine (IE8).

But in this site ... IE9 is the only standard ... .so the script has to bypass this security feature.

I am amazed, not anybody else has responded so far.

I know you want to "assume" this is a PDF issue ... but it is not;  I know, you want to "assume" that this is not a scripting issue, but it is.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 2:21 PM
  • again....which website? still waiting for reply to question (a)... go fish.

Oh whatever... turn off protected mode, change your IE security zone settings to not to prompt to download files.

Rob^_^

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 8:29 PM
  • IECustomizer ....

don't think you understand..... group policy may affect the darn thing

Protected mode is turned off

The target (source of the .zip files to be downloaded) is in the Trusted List

But you will still see the dialog box (unlike 8.0) .... because there is a good chance Microsoft has designed to require user interaction

If you don't know the answer, drink some kiwi coctail and take a walk at the koala boulevard

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 9:28 PM
  • Contact your company Help Desk or System Administrators to change group policy for you.

For consumer help with IE select the Help>Online support menu and follow the prompts for your windows and IE versions.

this thread has been answered.

Rob^_^

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 10:59 PM
  • No ..... we are contractors ... pretend ... no chance of experimenting with group policy.

Looks like you don't understand......or you don't know the answer.... just say: I don't know

We have to find ...a programatic way of finding to a solution to this issue

a) How can I get the handle or acctess to that mini window at the bottom from VBA/Script

b) Is there any IE property (programatically) that can be turned off

Anybody else ....out there other than the Aussie, please

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 1:13 PM
  • it is something simple .... the code is mimicing the user actions....by using DOM Elements/Methods

As if a user is entering the password and clicking the download button for hunderds of files from a dropdown list of files.

Obviously, the narrow band/dialog box pops up and the code cannot start the Download/Save As action....

oE.silent = True
    For iFile = 0 To iFiles
        sFile = oElem.Children(iFile).innerText
        sNo = oElem.Children(iFile).Value
        Application.StatusBar = Now & " Downloading: " & sNo & " - " & sFile
        oElem.Value = sNo
        iIndexShowFiles = getIndexByTagWithValueAfterThisIndex(oAll, "input", "Show Current Files", 20)
        iIndexPassword = getIndexByTagAfterThisIndex(oAll, "input", iIndexShowFiles)
        oAll(iIndexPassword).Value = sDownloadPassword
        oAll(iIndexSubmit).Click
        Application.Wait Now + TimeValue("00:00:59")
    Next

a) How can I get the handle or acctess to that mini window at the bottom from VBA/Script

b) Is there any IE property (programatically) that can be turned off

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 1:19 PM
  • A there is no programmatic way. As I said the mini window is not the only download manager. You can write one to take over the downloading, and IE will be knowing nothing about the actual saving location.

B None.

Visual C++ MVP

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 1:41 PM
  • Even I want to know the solution but plz tell me how you do it in IE8
    Wednesday, August 28, 2013 2:58 PM
  • It's years later and probably way after the fact, but I had to deal with this to download some files.  I wrote the solution in Python, but it's pretty generic.

My blog post is at

http://pyright.blogspot.com/2014/08/internet-explorer-9-save-dialog.html

The "solution" involves SendKeys.  It's ugly, but in a pinch it will automate the file download.

Monday, September 01, 2014 5:20 AM