none
Get html source with javascript

Question

• Hello,

I would like to get all html from the page I'm viewing. Simmilar to inner and outerhtml.

I have got this wich works:

this.htmlsource = this.doctype + this.encode_unicode(this.contentdocument.documentElement.outerHTML);

But.
    This do not include the extra linebreaks from the original document. How can I preserve these?
    I need to get the exact data.

Any help is appreciated.

/Adrian

Monday, August 24, 2009 10:31 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This works for me and puts a line number in the left column.

srcStr=highLight( htmlEncode(win.document.documentElement.outerHTML ));

function htmlEncode(s) {// ver.0.70b with line number
     s=s.replace(/\&/ig,"\&amp;").replace(/\>/ig,"\&gt;").replace(/\</ig,"\&lt;");
     s=s.replace(/(\t+)/ig,"<xmp>$1<\/xmp>").replace(/\n/ig,"<br\/>\n");
     s=s.replace(/ /ig,"\&nbsp;");
     //* Optional Line Number
     s="<ol>"+(s+"<br\/>\n").replace(/([^\n]*)<br\/>\n/ig,"<li\/><span>$1<\/span>")+"<\/ol>";
     //*/
     return s;
    }

the missing function highLight adds keyword color coding.

Thanks you question helped me solve my own program.

Regards.
    Rob^_^
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 12:50 AM
  • Hello,

Thanks for replying.
    I don't know if this will work, because when I get outerhtml from the page all extra line breaks are removed including extra
    white space. I would like to preserve these, most importantly linebreaks. In your code, wich is nice, the linebreaks i replaced
    by <br>. Sorry, this is not what I want. If I look in the "source" of the page through right mouse klick.. I get the extra linebreaks like
    the .html file is set up. It seems IE keeps removing these when using inner och outerhtml and I cannot get around it.

An example:
    A webdeveloper, wich uses our cms system, would like to see the same structured html code(his code), not a new one that
    IE controls with striped line breaks and whitespace.

So, that is what I am trying to accomplish and I think it's impossible.

Adrian

Tuesday, August 25, 2009 7:13 AM