none
IE10 will not open a PDF link with Adobe Reader

Question

• I am running Windows 8 with IE10 and Adobe Reader 11 and Adobe Acrobat 9.  When I click on a pdf link in IE10 from the desktop a get a blank screen with a small blank X in the upper left hand corner of the screen.  The document does not open.  When I use the "modern UI" IE the document opens in Adobe Reader as I would normally expect.  I have tried Adobe Reader 10 and Adobe Reader 11 with and without Adobe Acrobat 9.  I have also tried with out Adobe Acrobat 9.  Does anyone know how to allow the pdf links in IE10 to open a pdf?
    Monday, October 22, 2012 5:44 PM

All replies

• Hi,

this forum is for questions about html, css and scripting for website developers using IE...

to configure adobe reader NOT to use web browsers to open PDF documents (recommended) select

Start>Adobe reader>Edit>Preferences>Internet, uncheck "display PDF in browser".

Close and restart IE.

the Adobe Reader addon has 2 components which must be enabled (Tools>Manage Addons) if you want PDF documents to open in IE (not recommended).

for consumer questions about IE select the Help>Online Support menu from IE and follow the links for your windows and ie versions.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Monday, October 22, 2012 6:54 PM
  • Adobe Reader 10 and 11 does not have the option "display PDF in browser".  I would be happy to post this in another forum, but I wasn't sure which one to use.  This is the forum that I was sent to.  I'll try somewhere else. 

Monday, October 22, 2012 7:02 PM
  • try forums.adobe.com.

This forum is for IE's Trident engine, the engine is not used if you use IE to display document types other than HTML.

Visual C++ MVP

Monday, October 22, 2012 8:42 PM