none
IE 11 Compatibility Mode

Question

• I have a site that uses an older version of Infragistics controls, in particular the UltraWebGrid. That grid does not display correctly in IE 11 unless I add the site to the Compatibility List. I've tried adding the meta tag

<meta http-equiv="x-ua-compatible" content="IE=7" />

using various values in the IE=? . When using F12 tools I can see that the document mode is getting set to what I expect but the only thing that results in the page displaying correctly is to add my site to the compatibility list. I can also change the user agent to IE 10 or lower via developer tools and that also makes the site display correctly.

I've contacted Infragistics and they aren't any help.

I do plan to upgrade to a new version of the Infragistics grid but it will take several weeks until I can complete that so I would like to do something in the mean time to make my site work again.

Is there anything I can do that will have the same result as adding the site to the compatibility list? Or any other suggestions?

Thanks

Monday, November 18, 2013 6:55 PM

Answers

• Unfortunately, the X-UA-Compatible element only controls the "Document Mode" and not the "Browser Mode" and that means that it has no impact on the User-Agent string. Only the Compatibility View (CV) feature changes the user-agent string. The CV list feature is controlled by either the user (who manually adds sites) or by the list shipped by Microsoft.
    • Marked as answer by johnleggy Thursday, November 21, 2013 2:59 PM
    Wednesday, November 20, 2013 12:17 AM

All replies

• Hi,

use EmulateIE7 I/o IE=7.

This problem is caused by browser user-agent sniffing. See http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ieinternals/archive/2013/09/21/internet-explorer-11-user-agent-string-ua-string-sniffing-compatibility-with-gecko-webkit.aspx

If installing the proper version of the hotfix doesn't help, that means you must have a custom override of browser definitions that is preventing the updated defaults from taking effect.

(cf. Eric)

Rob^_^

Monday, November 18, 2013 11:19 PM
  • Thanks for the response. I did install the hotfix, changed my x-a-compatible to EmulateIE7  and used Fiddler to examine the user agent.

When I run my page now the document mode is 7 and the user agent string is still the ie 11 version and the page does not display correctly. When I add my site to the compatibility list the user agent is IE 7 and the page works.

So you are correct, it does appear to be controlled by some sort of ua sniffing. Unfortunately the ua sniffing is in the third party control so I'm not able to change it. I need to either be able to change the user agent or do something where I can have my site be treated as if it were in the compatibility list.

I tried writing an httpmodule to change the user agent string but from what I see that's not really possible.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 7:02 PM
  • Unfortunately, the X-UA-Compatible element only controls the "Document Mode" and not the "Browser Mode" and that means that it has no impact on the User-Agent string. Only the Compatibility View (CV) feature changes the user-agent string. The CV list feature is controlled by either the user (who manually adds sites) or by the list shipped by Microsoft.
    • Marked as answer by johnleggy Thursday, November 21, 2013 2:59 PM
    Wednesday, November 20, 2013 12:17 AM
  • Hi

after install hot fix , it is not working we are using Response.AppendHeader("X-UA-Compatible", "IE=EmulateIE7"); in application_BeginRequest.

any solution please

Narala 

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 5:44 AM
  • That is really the bottom line, nothing a person can really do within code to add the site to compatibility list or affect the user agent. I ended up contacting Microsoft and they will be adding my site to the global list
    Thursday, November 21, 2013 3:02 PM
  • I am sorry for my ignorance.  When you say you contacted Microsoft, what does that mean?  Do they have a web submission?  Call them?  Were the results immediate?

Craig

Thursday, December 19, 2013 1:42 PM
  • My company has a premier support agreement with Microsoft so I opened an incident using that account. After Microsoft agreed to make the change It took about 10 days to take affect

Monday, January 06, 2014 8:12 PM