none
Multiple MSIE in user agent string?

Question

• Hi,
    I have quite alot of respondents with the user agent as such:
    <!-- [if gte mso 10]> <mce:style>

User agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1) ; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; LTID=21784; GACID=goukexperiment_21784; yie8)

Im just confused as to why there is two MSIE strings here? Why is there an MSIE 6.0 in that string when it is an internet explorer 8 browser?

Thanks.
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 5:32 PM

All replies

• Why it is there is almost certainly for some sort of legacy application / site compatibility.

What you probably wanted to ask was "how do I handle this?" and the answer to that is "carefully; and it depends."
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 5:42 PM
  • That's interesting, it's certainly not the out of the box behavior for IE8 in any mode afaik. I would presume that a user has installed something that is causing it to behave that way. Especially as IE8 doesn't have a mode that emulates IE6. It seems there using a version of IE optimized for Yahoo (yie8) so maybe that's responsible?

O i find this site handy: http://www.useragentstring.com/index.php
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 5:56 PM
  • I know it is very strange and i have had alot of tech emails asking me about the exact same thing, so its no where near the first email ive received. We have stopped providing support to IE 6 users and user agents like this are getting in the way of checks.
    Yeh im not sure it could be Yahoo even though our respondent "thinks" she has internet explorer 8.

Thanks for that link i will send it to our respondent to see what it says for them.

Im just suprised that no other web developers have come across this yet as i get quite a few emails each week about the same issue. I guess the best advice might me to completly remove IE and install fresh copy?
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 6:34 PM
  • I'm not sure but I believe those custom fragments (such as the .net ones) are still kept in the registry after uninstall it's up their respective installer to un-install (as they it put them there).  

If the customer is familiar with the registry just searching for the string MSIE 6.0 might turn up something interesting. Or they can look in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE (or HKEY_CURRENT_USER)
         SOFTWARE
              Microsoft
                   Windows
                        CurrentVersion
                             Internet Settings
                                  User Agent
                                       Pre Platform
                                            Token = Value
                                       Post Platform
                                            Token = Value

It seems like someone is just setting a UA fragment of "(compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1)" for their program. 

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 6:05 PM