none
Keep-alive timeout settings

Question

• Hi,

I am trying to change the keep-alive timeout in IE 9 by changing the registry key "KeepAlivetimeout" as described at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813827

By testing i have made (setting the timeout to x msec, call to a page that sleeps (in the server) for y (y>x) msec, and waiting for an error from the browser) the registry key doesn't change the timeout.

Using a sniffer i can see that the GET request goes to the server and after y msec the server sends a response and there is no HTTP requests in the middle.

Does IE 9 support this setting in the registry? Any Suggestions how to change the timeout?

Thank you,

Yehuda

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 11:27 AM

All replies

• yehuda s,

IE 9 does honor this registry setting.

Can you offer some more detail?  How long have you actually set the time out to be and how long does the page actually sleep?

Did you also set the ServerInfoTimeout value to match the KeepAliveTimeout value?

Here are a couple of things to try:

1. Verify ServerInfoTimeout & KeepAliveTimeout values match.

2. Use Process Monitor to verify that the registry keys are being read while the page is sleeping.

3. You should also test with HTTP 1.0 (disable HTTP 1.1 in the IE Advances Options).

Lou

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 1:45 PM
  • Hi Lou,

Thanks for your answer and sorry for the long time, i didn't notice your post and i left the subject for a while, but now i am coming back to it.

I tried several configurations for the time out:

1. time out = 5000ms, no ServerInfoTimeout key (since the KB says it is needed only for time out higher than 120000), sleep time = 7000ms
    2.              "              , ServerInfoTimeout = 5000ms, sleep time = 7000ms
    3. time out = 180000ms, ServerInfoTimeout = 180000ms, sleep time = 300000ms

In non of the above it worked. I used the Process Monitor and the key is never read from the registry.

I tested both with HTTP 1.0 and 1.1.

I performed the same tests in another computer and this time i could see the the keys had been read, but they had no influence on IE timeout.

What could be the reasons that the key is never read? Why the keys doesn't influence?

Thanks

Yehuda

Monday, August 15, 2011 10:41 AM