none
2 IE problems, FF displays these parts fine

Question

• I have a offline part of a website I am designing, but IE 8 in win7 has a couple problems using 2 parts of the site, which is a download all window and a comment form that uses e-mail to submit. I have tried pressing the compat. mode button, but it is non-existent with local files.
    Note that Firefox can use these parts of the site perfectly.

When submitting the comment form, IE displays a security warning stating the the form uses e-mail to submit, then when you click OK, the comment you had filled out before in the form is not carried on to the e-mail app.

Edit: Going to drop the form thing since FF is now giving me trouble with it...

The 2nd problem is a download window, when you click on the "Download all" button, a window will appear with checkboxes to download files and instructions on how to use the download window. IE will only display the beginning instructions.

HTML code for download window:

<script language="JavaScript">

<!-- The JavaScripts!! http://javascripts.com -->

<!-- Begin

var X = 200; // change the # at the left for a fixed X co-ordinate to accommodate browsers other than IE or NS

var Y = 200; // change the # at the left for a fixed Y co-ordinate to accommodate browsers other than IE or NS

if (navigator.appName.indexOf("Netscape")!=-1) {

document.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEMOVE)

function getcoords(e) {

X = parseInt(e.screenX) - 80; // change the # at the left to further adjust the left-margin depending on the size of the window

Y = parseInt(e.screenY) - 60; // change the # at the left to further adjust the top-margin depending on the size of the window

return true;}

document.onmousemove = getcoords;

function openWin() {

if (navigator.appName.indexOf("Microsoft")!=-1) {

X = parseInt(event.screenX) - 80; // change the # at the left to further adjust the left-margin depending on the size of the window

Y = parseInt(event.screenY) - 60; } // change the # at the left to further adjust the top-margin depending on the size of the window

display=window.open('','NewWin','menubar=0,location=no,status=no,directories=no,toolbar=no,scrollbars=yes,height=300,width=600')

message="<font face='verdana, arial, helvetica, san-serif' size='2'><form>";

message+="Here are all the items on this page available for download:<br />";

message+="Check their respective checkbox to download the program.<br />";

message+="<br />";

message+="<input type='checkbox' onClick=window.open('http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/d/9/8d9bd2af-4eba-4622-88c0-a7f10385b14b/Match-Up!-INT.msi','') ' />Microsoft Match-Up!<br />";

message+="<input type='checkbox' onClick=window.open('http://www.blitwise.com/ptanks.exe','') ' />Pocket Tanks (trial)<br />";

message+="<br />";

message+="You can close this window when you are finished downloading.";

message+="</form></font>";

display.moveTo(X,Y);

display.document.write(message); }

}

// End -->

</script>

The code blocks above may not display the code exactly right....thanks in advance for any help you can give!!!- JoelbX
    Hello! Please reply back, promptly if possible with the results to solutions to your problem!

Curious about Win7 min. system requirements?
    Readme for older ATI graphics cards or Intel onboard graphics and Windows 7 users
    Windows 7 tips
    - JoelbX
    • Edited by JoelbX Friday, October 09, 2009 4:26 PM update
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 5:24 PM

Answers

Change

display=window.open('','NewWin','menubar=0,location=no,status=no,directories=no,toolbar=no,scrollbars=yes,height=300,width=600')

to

display=window.open('about:blank','NewWin','menubar=0,location=no,status=no,directories=no,toolbar=no,scrollbars=yes,height=300,width=600')

or

add <html>,<head> and <body> blocks to  your 'Message'. OR check with javascripts.com to updates to their code.

Regards.

Rob^_^
    • Marked as answer by JoelbX Friday, October 09, 2009 4:24 PM
    Friday, September 04, 2009 8:58 PM
  • Change

display=window.open('','NewWin'...')

to

display=window.open('about:blank','NewWin',...')or add , and blocks ...
    I think I figured the download window part out, using your post and some common sense...

I think I will add the <html>, <head>, and <body> tags, so I can give the window a title, but here is what I found wrong:

Each <input> tag has an extra quote that seems to throw IE off, problem spot is underlined:

Before:
    <input type='checkbox' onClick=window.open('http://www.adobe.com','') ' / >

After:
    <input type='checkbox' onClick=window.open('http://www.adobe.com','') >

This seems to do the trick, except for IE comes up with the "IE has restricted the webpage from running ActiveX...blah blah" when opening the window, even though I allowed it for the window's originating page.

And the about:blank and the tags you said to do didn't seem to make a difference, but I will use them anyways. Thanks for your help, as you helped me find the error.. but I am not done yet with questions...

Do you know why IE doesn't like the email form? I have read that some browsers don't carry on the from data correctly to the email app, but still doesn't make sense to me why IE can't do it right.

Also I added a javascript part to the form that changes the comment text (basically a "Use a template" function), but IE won't change the text, yet FF will, have to post the code for that in the OP.

Update: I am going to drop the form... thanks for your help!

Hello! Please reply back, promptly if possible with the results to solutions to your problem!

Readme: Older ATI, Intel onboard graphics, or NVIDIA graphics cards on Windows 7
    Windows 7 tips
    - JoelbX
    • Edited by JoelbX Friday, October 09, 2009 4:24 PM update
    Friday, September 04, 2009 11:55 PM

All replies

Change

to

display=window.open('about:blank','NewWin','menubar=0,location=no,status=no,directories=no,toolbar=no,scrollbars=yes,height=300,width=600')

or

add <html>,<head> and <body> blocks to  your 'Message'. OR check with javascripts.com to updates to their code.

Regards.

Rob^_^
    Friday, September 04, 2009 8:58 PM
  • Change

display=window.open('','NewWin'...')

to

display=window.open('about:blank','NewWin',...')or add , and blocks ...
    I think I figured the download window part out, using your post and some common sense...

I think I will add the <html>, <head>, and <body> tags, so I can give the window a title, but here is what I found wrong:

Each <input> tag has an extra quote that seems to throw IE off, problem spot is underlined:

Before:
    <input type='checkbox' onClick=window.open('http://www.adobe.com','') ' / >

After:
    <input type='checkbox' onClick=window.open('http://www.adobe.com','') >

This seems to do the trick, except for IE comes up with the "IE has restricted the webpage from running ActiveX...blah blah" when opening the window, even though I allowed it for the window's originating page.

And the about:blank and the tags you said to do didn't seem to make a difference, but I will use them anyways. Thanks for your help, as you helped me find the error.. but I am not done yet with questions...

Do you know why IE doesn't like the email form? I have read that some browsers don't carry on the from data correctly to the email app, but still doesn't make sense to me why IE can't do it right.

Also I added a javascript part to the form that changes the comment text (basically a "Use a template" function), but IE won't change the text, yet FF will, have to post the code for that in the OP.

Update: I am going to drop the form... thanks for your help!

Readme: Older ATI, Intel onboard graphics, or NVIDIA graphics cards on Windows 7
    Windows 7 tips
    - JoelbX
    • Edited by JoelbX Friday, October 09, 2009 4:24 PM update
    Friday, September 04, 2009 11:55 PM