none
Export to excel is not working in InternetExplorer

Question

• Hi everyone, We have an asp webapplication which is extracting information from Database and displaying on a webpage.When I rightClick on that webpage and select the eXport to Excel option Its prompting me for username and password and Even After entering them I am not able to get data into an excel spreadsheet?We areusing IIS6.0 Its just displaying the information External_Data_1. So Is there any way we can resolve this error.If so,Please post ur comments asap Thanking you Guys....!!!!
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 2:48 PM

All replies

• Hi Rocky,

Very strange... the Export to Excel context menu addon usually does not prompt for a username or password?

Where is your Excel.exe file? On a shared network drive? or your local disk?

Try importing it into excel instead. Start Excel, select Data>Import menu. It will prompt you to select and IE window and then elements from that page to import.

Regards.
    Rob^_^
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 5:18 AM
  • Hi Rob, Excel is located in my local drive.I have tried importing the data from Excel,in the way you explained from Data->Import Data.Its prompting for the username and password and again I am not getting any data Regards Rocky
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 7:57 AM
  • Hi Rocky,

Do the usual IE trouble shooting...

Which Security Zone is your site in? Are the tables hosted within an iframe in a different domain?. Are your security zone settings the recommended default? (press the 'Default' button to reset all zones to their defaults) Try adding the domain to your trusted sites zone (ditto if your table is in an iframe). What are your User Authentication settings for this zone?

Is this occurring on only your machine or all OS versions and IE versions?

Do you have a publicly accessible link for us to try?

Tools>Internet Options - Advanced tab, uncheck "Enable thrid-party browser extensions", save, restart IE. This will disable toolbars and browser helpers to rule out any interference from other software.

Is the markup on the page well formed? Have you validated the markup? Missing end tags </td>, </tr> or nested <form> blocks within the <table> block could cause Excel to spit the dummy (but not prompt for authentication).

Regards.
    Rob^_^
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 10:02 PM
  • Hi Rob, u cannot access this link outside,and its not the problem of InternetExplorer settings,Probably its a setting in IIS.we have migrated this from IIS4.0 to 6.0. So there could be huge amount of differences ,I guess Still,Looking for the solution Regards Rocky :-)))
    Friday, May 15, 2009 2:45 PM