Executing ExcelUDL sample on HPC Cluster giving error that service is not registered.

Pertanyaan

• Hi,

I am trying to execute the ExcelUDF sample provided by Microsoft on my HPC environment. I am trying to execute the VBASample.XLSM and getting an error "The Service Configuration file is not found. Make sure the configuration file for service is deployed". I did all the installations as per the guidance given for cluster setup and the setup is working absolutely fine. Am I missing some deployment step here? Please guide me to figure out where are things missing.

Unfortunately I couldnt find relevant instructures to execute this sample.

Regards,

Phani Note: Please vote/mark the post as answered if it answers your question/helps to solve your problem.
    14 Oktober 2011 14:15

Jawaban

• Hi,

It looks like you may not have the HPC Pack 2008 R2 Enterprise edition installed on your cluster. The Enterprise edition includes a set of features including the HPC services required for Excel integration that are not included in the Express edition.

Also, these features were introduced with the R2 release, so if your cluster has HPC Pack 2008 installed, you would see a similar error.

If you do have the correct edition installed on your cluster, please verify that the HpcServiceRegistration share exists on the head node and contains the Microsoft.Hpc.Excel.ExcelService_1.0.config service configuration file.

Additional notes:

There is a pdf document shipped with the samples called HpcExcel.pdf that explains each of the samples for HPC Excel integration. Look one level up from the VBASample.xlsm location in the samples directory tree.

Also, Excel UDF Offloading is different from Excel Workbook Offloading. The former deals with invoking UDFs in XLLs deployed across a cluster, and the sample we shipped to show this feature is the CalculatePrimes.xlsx workbook. The later, workbook offloading uses the VBASample.xlsm that you're using, and deals with invoking VBA macros on workbooks distributed across a cluster.

You can find out more about these features here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/windows-hpc-and-microsoft-excel-resources-for-building-cluster-ready-workbooks.aspx

Final note:

The best place to ask questions about HPC Excel integration is the forum located here: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/windowshpcdevs/threads

Hopefully that answers you question and gives you the resources you need to make progress.

Jeremy

14 Oktober 2011 23:25

Semua Balasan

• Hi,

It looks like you may not have the HPC Pack 2008 R2 Enterprise edition installed on your cluster. The Enterprise edition includes a set of features including the HPC services required for Excel integration that are not included in the Express edition.

Also, these features were introduced with the R2 release, so if your cluster has HPC Pack 2008 installed, you would see a similar error.

If you do have the correct edition installed on your cluster, please verify that the HpcServiceRegistration share exists on the head node and contains the Microsoft.Hpc.Excel.ExcelService_1.0.config service configuration file.

Additional notes:

There is a pdf document shipped with the samples called HpcExcel.pdf that explains each of the samples for HPC Excel integration. Look one level up from the VBASample.xlsm location in the samples directory tree.

Also, Excel UDF Offloading is different from Excel Workbook Offloading. The former deals with invoking UDFs in XLLs deployed across a cluster, and the sample we shipped to show this feature is the CalculatePrimes.xlsx workbook. The later, workbook offloading uses the VBASample.xlsm that you're using, and deals with invoking VBA macros on workbooks distributed across a cluster.

You can find out more about these features here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/windows-hpc-and-microsoft-excel-resources-for-building-cluster-ready-workbooks.aspx

Final note:

The best place to ask questions about HPC Excel integration is the forum located here: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/windowshpcdevs/threads

Hopefully that answers you question and gives you the resources you need to make progress.

Jeremy

14 Oktober 2011 23:25
  • Thanks a ton for your help. It did help me.

Regards,

Phani Note: Please vote/mark the post as answered if it answers your question/helps to solve your problem.
    15 Oktober 2011 2:52