none
SBS2003 to SBS2011 Migration Installation Failure Error

Pertanyaan

• So I've been following the official Microsoft document for SBS2003 to SBS2011 Migration.

No issues prepping the SBS2003 box, all updates installed, all issues resolved successfully.

Created the answer file

Installed SBS2011, installation automatically found the answerfile and started the migration installation.

Installation continued as normal, server rebooted.

Upon installation I get the Windows Help centre telling me that installation has failed.

The Installation of Windows Small Business Server 2011 Standard cannot Finish

I rebooted the server, tried to log in but couldnt.

I checked the SBS2003 box and it appears that the acount I used during the migration process had been deleted from AD??

recreated the account by making  a copy of the administrator account and giving it the same name, I was then able to log in successfully.

Restarted the server again but keep getting the Installaation failed.

Server is a DC and DNS Server as expected, doesn't appear to be any issues there.

I include all the installation logs in he link below.

SBS Installation Logs

Would very much appreciate some assistance on this as this is the first time I've ever done a migration installation of SBS2011 (this is a test server in our office in prep for a live migration for a client)

MCSA Server 2008 MCITP Server 2008 Administrator MCITP Enterprise Desktop Support on Windows Vista CompTIA A+

• Diedit oleh Guyver-1 18 Juli 2012 15:14
    18 Juli 2012 14:44

Jawaban

• Hi Leon

OK, postmaster and Network Admin MUST NOT exist. Your migration will fail if either of these accounts or aliases exists. So please report back once you've done the restore.

Cheers,

Jim

• Ditandai sebagai Jawaban oleh Guyver-1 19 Juli 2012 14:10
    18 Juli 2012 15:57

Semua Balasan

• Looking at the logs, the setup routine failed to create a postmaster address. Do you already have a postmaster address in your AD ?

[4404] 120718.132508.9497: Messaging: Executed management shell command: New-DistributionGroup -SamAccountName "postmaster" -Alias "postmaster" -Name "Postmaster and Abuse Reporting" -OrganizationalUnit "AS.LOCAL/MyBusiness/Distribution Groups" -Type "Distribution"
    [4404] 120718.132509.0457: Messaging: MessagingTaskException: Failure during monad command execution: New-DistributionGroup -SamAccountName "postmaster" -Alias "postmaster" -Name "Postmaster and Abuse Reporting" -OrganizationalUnit "AS.LOCAL/MyBusiness/Distribution Groups" -Type "Distribution"  -- Error# (800001)
    [4404] 120718.132509.0457: Messaging: Inner exception: Couldn't find object "as.local/Users/Network Admin". Please make sure that it was spelled correctly or specify a different object.

Unless I'm misreading it....Mohitkapoor is normally pretty good at these :-)

Jim

PS It also looks like you may have used networkadmin as the user account?
    18 Juli 2012 15:38
  • Hi Jim,

thanks for taking the time to reply.

[4404] 120718.132509.0457: Messaging: Inner exception: Couldn't find object "as.local/Users/Network Admin". Please make sure that it was spelled correctly or specify a different object.

I know for a fact that this AD account exists.

As this is a test setup, Im restoring the sbs2003 box with my 'just before i ran the migration tool to adprep the server' acronis image.

This way I can check the postmaster and network admin accounts.

The migration tools did not throw up any warnings at all, so I was suprised to see the installation fail :(

will report back if I get the same error.

Leon.

MCSA Server 2008 MCITP Server 2008 Administrator MCITP Enterprise Desktop Support on Windows Vista CompTIA A+

18 Juli 2012 15:55
  • Hi Leon

OK, postmaster and Network Admin MUST NOT exist. Your migration will fail if either of these accounts or aliases exists. So please report back once you've done the restore.

Cheers,

Jim

• Ditandai sebagai Jawaban oleh Guyver-1 19 Juli 2012 14:10
    18 Juli 2012 15:57
  • Thanks Jim,

removed our local support account which is called networkadmin and this did the trick.

Many thanks.

Carrying on with the test migration now, currently moving exchange Public Folders

Cheers,

Leon.

19 Juli 2012 14:11
  • Nice one :-) Good luck with the rest, should be plain sailing now.

Jim

19 Juli 2012 14:13
  • Jim, 

If you have any experience in this,

Do you know on average how long it normally takes to migrate the Public folders?

The Microsoft document says anything from several hours to several days...

This is a small company of only about 23 mailboxes total, and what appears to be approx. 500-600MB of Public Folder content.

Cheers,

Leon.

19 Juli 2012 14:26
  • Hi Leon

We've had mixed results.  I've done several migrations and on some we only had 1 or 2 public folders. Some migrations, this phase took nine hours. Others, it was over in 20 minutes. For the long-running one, I rebooted both servers and that seemed to kick-start it - but that was a last resort thing. I also tried the "move replicas" options few times for good measure!

Keep hitting refresh, they will go eventually.

Make sure they're all set to "urgent".

Jim

19 Juli 2012 14:29
  • For mailboxes, these usually take about an hour for 2GB. Only two moves will run concurrently - you can tweak that via a config file but it doesn't seem to improve throughput - more mailboxes but they go more slowly.

Jim

19 Juli 2012 14:37
  • Nice one Jim.

thanks for the advice, very helpful :)

Cheers,

Leon.

19 Juli 2012 14:40
  • Jim,

Are there any tools available to actually see real time movement of the public folder replication? Or do you have to sit there and wait?

I have one folder left that's approx. 460MB in size that's been running overnight now for about 16 hours, and its the last folder.

20 Juli 2012 9:07